Kevin "CCC Lampard" Nolan: 'Toon are out to silence the critics'

Thespence

Guest Roger Kint

Are Dunn and Reid ALWAYS on the sauce? Maybe if Nolan decided to ditch the pints and dedicate himself to football like he should then he would get fit

The Championship looks to be his level. I still hope we sell him, as bar a miracle of Biblical proportions, there's no way Ashley is going to sanction signing a first team central midfielder to go directly into the first team on first team wages whilst Nolan sits on the bench with even bigger first team wages.

At this point in time, because he's pretty much a cast iron certainty to be a starter next season, I'm anticipating us playing with 10 men every week against the decent Premiership sides, with gaping holes in midfield being exposed by their players running freely at our defence. Whilst Nolan jogs back casually of course from striking positions, prior to giving up the chase of his gazelle-like midfield opposite number (ala our relegation season when him and Butt often just stood near the centre circle watching opposition midfielders pass the lube around before doubling up and molesting our centrebacks). And all we get in return are a few Nolan goals agaisnt the s*** teams that we're favourites to beat anyway, courtesy of him spending most of the match in the penalty box. Plus the odd assist, accompanied by the trademark vociferous Nolan-fist-pumping-on-his-own-and-aimed-at-crowd-to-make-sure-we-all-know-he-got-the-assist™ (Stuart Pearce ought to sue him). Plus the constant sound bites in the press about how the team must do better, a great tactic for masking an individual's own ineptness.

I hope I'm really wrong on this and he does make the grade next year.

I love this post because it is so damn accurate. Of course in the media our centrebacks were then portrayed as being hapless as usual. While the real culprits like Nolan and Butt were hailed as our best players. Ridiculous.

Are Dunn and Reid ALWAYS on the sauce? Maybe if Nolan decided to ditch the pints and dedicate himself to football like he should then he would get fit

They probably were, to get fit they would have had to drop it though, you're right. There's a lot of calories in 6 pints of lager.

I don't think Nolan will do as bad as people are anticipating next season. However, if he is going to be in a midfield four, he will need mobility around him, which he would have with Jonas and Routledge, but he'll need an athletic centre mid in with him. Nolan and Guthrie would be too slow in the Premiership. I'll probably get shot down for saying so, but I'd sooner see Nolan in our team next season than Guthrie.

I really want him to do well next year, he has been infuriating at times but you can see how passionate and driven he is and I've grown to like him. It is ultimately a shame he isn't athletic as all of his technical attributes are of a decent Premiership quality.

I don't think Nolan will do as bad as people are anticipating next season. However, if he is going to be in a midfield four, he will need mobility around him, which he would have with Jonas and Routledge, but he'll need an athletic centre mid in with him. Nolan and Guthrie would be too slow in the Premiership. I'll probably get shot down for saying so, but I'd sooner see Nolan in our team next season than Guthrie.

I really want him to do well next year, he has been infuriating at times but you can see how passionate and driven he is and I've grown to like him. It is ultimately a shame he isn't athletic as all of his technical attributes are of a decent Premiership quality.

I'm not shooting you down, but it would be rank management to drop Guthrie because Nolan is unfit. If Nolan can't hack it in the Premiership, leave him out until he can.

4 5 1 next season. Nolan in the hole. Striker who can play the lone role, jonas and rout on the wings. Guthrie\barton and a defensive mid (please buy one fat ash). That will be fine.

Yep...And Shola as a lone striker if we want to go down ASAP.

We need some pace if anything. Wayne and Jonas are the only players who offer any sort of an attacking threat from the breaks. With the current central midfield and strikers(apart from McLovin) it sure is "a WALK in the park"

I'm not shooting you down, but it would be rank management to drop Guthrie because Nolan is unfit. If Nolan can't hack it in the Premiership, leave him out until he can.

I don't quite get what you mean, sorry? I'm sure Nolan must actually be match fit, surely he does the same training as everyone else?

We won't know whether he can hack it until the season starts, and with form, ability, fitness and injury you adjust the team accordingly, as Hughton has done this season, however I would be happier seeing Nolan start next season than Guthrie, as things stand of course.

I don't quite get what you mean, sorry? I'm sure Nolan must actually be match fit, surely he does the same training as everyone else?

We won't know whether he can hack it until the season starts, and with form, ability, fitness and injury you adjust the team accordingly, as Hughton has done this season, however I would be happier seeing Nolan start next season than Guthrie, as things stand of course.

I mean if Nolan is considered not mobile and athletic enough, then he should be the one that loses his place. Not Guthrie so that Nolan can get someone to carry him. I know the team is more important than individuals, but personally I'd rather see Nolan dropped to motivate him to improve his fitness.

Yes, he must do the same training. Problem is, you don't just 'do' training and get benefits. We've all seen it in sports teams, some people go through the motions in training and others bust a gut and work extra hard.

Combine that with off the field drinking/eating etc and you get a huge range of fitness levels between players.

This.

Guthrie has potential to be a very good player even in the above league, to waste his talent just to accomodate Nolan is lunacy.

I hope we get rid of Nolan, yeah he's been good this year but sentimentality in football is often suicide tbh. He's too fat, too slow and just generally not good enough to be a centre midfielder anymore. I would only keep him as a CF as he's just not built for the midfield.

He's been a decent leader too but i'm not convinced that he's a positive influence overall and next year when we're going to be losing an awful lot more, i'm sure the cracks will show.

The last few games I've seen he seems to have been working really hard to get from box-to-box and help out the length of the pitch. Admittedly, he had a good 2 month spell where he seemed to do almost nothing.

It amuses me how people can say that Lampard goes missing for Chelsea :lol:

I know hes f***ing huge, how can you miss him ;D

Seriously though in a midfield carrying Ballack and Mikel its harsh to say anything about the constant bit of quality in there.

Good post.

About as good as yours to me about fighting for your country. Which war was that, Ronny? Primary school under 12s?

Always some pillock jumping in to drag a thread off topic simply at the sight of Ronaldo posting, grow up for gods sake. He is agreeing with a KEVIN NOLAN post and i agree with it also for the record, we will struggle with him in CM for any game Hughton chooses 4-4-2.

Yeah, and you should read the PMs I am getting off him threatening to punch my lights out...LOL.

Never mind, you are right, keep the comedy acts to PMs  My apologies if you are so offended.

Quite a few games of late we have played Guthrie & Nolan so they are the combo rather than 1 or the other.

But I wouldn't want to see that next season. Opinions seem split on who should be the one to be dropped should another centre mid come in. By split I mean me favouring Nolan against everyone else favouring Guthrie :lol:

Quite a few games of late we have played Guthrie & Nolan so they are the combo rather than 1 or the other.

But I wouldn't want to see that next season. Opinions seem split on who should be the one to be dropped should another centre mid come in. By split I mean me favouring Nolan against everyone else favouring Guthrie :lol:

I am going with them two until A.Other is signed. Because I am not keen on any combo with Smith in it. What about Bartoon?

Yeah, and you should read the PMs I am getting off him threatening to punch my lights out...LOL.

Never mind, you are right, keep the comedy acts to PMs  My apologies if you are so offended.

Ronny has been eating raw meat of late I wish he would go back Nandos.

Getting back on topic, I took a close look at Nolan on recent games aired over here. I was impressed with his work rate in both boxes and take away his obvious finishing ability, at this level at least, he seems to be the heart and soul of the team at present.

Notice his goal celebrations and he is virtually always first to celebrate with others when they score. I have largely been impressed by him espoecially recently and considering the debacle of a club he came into last season, I see no reason why he cannot be effective in the PL as he once was with Bolton.

Good luck to the lad. An obvious leader we have been lacking for years.

Guest firetotheworks

If you put him in the team purely to do what he's done. As in score goals, then the midfield that's around him is going to have to be stronger, and probably a 5, not a 4. He could, could become the new school, Keegan era, midfield Michael Owen. But that's a lot to change to compensate for his mobility problems. It's probably better we get Eagles/Bullard/Barton playing there.

We all know that it's Guthrie who'll make way though, which he absolutely shouldn't.

The problem with the "Nolan situation" really isn't Nolan himself - it's the formation he has to play in to be highly effective.  Are we really going to put that much trust in Carroll to play as the lone striker all season to accommodate Nolan?  I've got far more faith in Nolan than Carroll but it's two sides of the same coin unfortunately.  We can get away with Carroll up front on his own in the Championship, but at the Prem level I'm not so sure.  The main point really though is that this goes beyond Nolan and how much faith you have in him, he's the quintessential "team player" and involves everyone around him and is directly affected by those around him as well (far more than some others).  It boils down not to your trust/belief in Nolan, but more the team we have to play to fit Nolan in - and that is a team that I'm not very confident with at the Prem level.

The thing is now, being a team that is playing for survival, we will have a mentality where we will scrap away. I could be wrong, but in the past, did we ever play with just one upfront when away? We've done it this year when we've pissed the league! Nolan WILL cause goals, and whether it be with him running onto flick-ons from Carroll, or whether he knocks some onto Lovenkrands when chasing a game on the break, he will be key. What we do need is a younger/better Smith. Smudgers start of season was decent and that is when Nolan really kicked on. The bigger question than whether Nolan will be effective next season is will Routledge? We need a quick nippy right winger. If Routledge is stopped with ease, they can double up on Jonas and we're fucked no matter how decent Nolan plays...

... pretty much a cast iron certainty ...

After all that's happened at this club, I'm amazed any supporter can still use expressions like this. At Newcastle nothing is ever "nailed on". I swore off taking anything for granted ever again at the end of 1995-96.

With a more mobile central-midfielder alongside Guthrie or Barton behind him, and a more mobile centre-forward up top, Nolan in a 4-5-1 away from home could work brilliantly even in the Premier League. Could see us picking up wins away to the likes of Blackburn & Bolton like that.

I absolutely despised Nolan earlier in the season, he was literally a fat mess wandering around in the middle of the park looking knackered but because he'd weighed in with some goals, he was being lauded as the best player in the Championship. His only contribution was literally scoing goals, which is all well and good but as a central midfielder in a 4-4-2, a little more is required. However he was in there with Smith, and not Guthrie, and I think that's what annoyed me more - a talented player like Guthrie was being stuck out left or right whilst those two clowns bumbled around in the middle. Guthrie with Nolan has been the catalyst for a great run of form, especially at home, but next season I've no doubt Nolan will be first choice and that worries me a little bit. In a 4-5-1 it isn't really an issue as long as we're not playing the long ball shite (we saw at Leicester just how anonymous that can make him) but in a 4-4-2 he's going to need a real athlete with defensive qualities in there alongside him, and I haven't a clue who we could get to do that.

The Championship looks to be his level. I still hope we sell him, as bar a miracle of Biblical proportions, there's no way Ashley is going to sanction signing a first team central midfielder to go directly into the first team on first team wages whilst Nolan sits on the bench with even bigger first team wages.

At this point in time, because he's pretty much a cast iron certainty to be a starter next season, I'm anticipating us playing with 10 men every week against the decent Premiership sides, with gaping holes in midfield being exposed by their players running freely at our defence. Whilst Nolan jogs back casually of course from striking positions, prior to giving up the chase of his gazelle-like midfield opposite number (ala our relegation season when him and Butt often just stood near the centre circle watching opposition midfielders pass the lube around before doubling up and molesting our centrebacks). And all we get in return are a few Nolan goals agaisnt the s*** teams that we're favourites to beat anyway, courtesy of him spending most of the match in the penalty box. Plus the odd assist, accompanied by the trademark vociferous Nolan-fist-pumping-on-his-own-and-aimed-at-crowd-to-make-sure-we-all-know-he-got-the-assist™ (Stuart Pearce ought to sue him). Plus the constant sound bites in the press about how the team must do better, a great tactic for masking an individual's own ineptness.

I hope I'm really wrong on this and he does make the grade next year.

I am pretty sure you are wrong because any one who fell to see Nolan is the new face of Newcastle needs to be examin their head. This guy will stay here until Houghton is a manger at this football club and I don't agree less. I use to complain about Speed too when he was here but how stupid I am??????