PFA Awards

Thespence

Chief Executive Gordon Taylor pays tribute to all our nominees

Carlos Tevez (Man. City): Players’ Player of the Year Nominee

Gordon says: “He is such an energy-packed player and you cannot fail to be impressed by the amount of work he puts in, week in, week out. He is the sort of player that is going to be popular with fans of whatever club he plays for.

"He was as popular with Manchester United supporters as he is with City followers who love him, not just for his incredible work-rate but for his goals which look like firing the club into the Champions League next season.”

Didier Drogba (Chelsea): Players’ Player of the Year Nominee

Gordon says: “When you talk about the best players in the world, Didier Drogba is a name on many people’s lips and with his strength, pace, ability and goalscoring skills, the Chelsea striker is different class.

"There was a time, in his early days in this country, that he was accused of going to ground too easily, but there has been a huge improvement in that area of his game, and the more he has matured, the better he has got.”

Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal): Players’ Player and Young Player Nominee

Gordon says: “When you watch him play, you simply sit back and marvel at the skills of the perfect engine-room player. He is such a crucial player to both Arsenal and Spain, and the difference he makes to those teams is immeasurable.

"A magnificent player who has brought so much to Arsenal, and the Premier League as a whole, it is so important that Arsene Wenger keeps him at the club because he would be a sad loss to the English game.”

Wayne Rooney (Man. United): Players’ Player and Young Player of the Year Nominee

Gordon says: “Wayne has been absolutely phenomenal once again and, in his new role this season, has created even more havoc for opposition defences. When Cristiano Ronaldo was at United, he played more of a supporting role, but as the number one striker and goalscorer he is now one of the best in the world, not just in this country.

"He has always been prepared to work at all aspects of his game, and this season in particular, the improvement in his heading ability has been there for all to see. He’s like a modern-day Dixie Dean.”

James Milner (Aston Villa): Young Player of the Year Nominee

Gordon says: “We at the PFA have followed James’ career with great interest ever since he approached us for advice as a teenager, and he has been a key member of the Player Management Agency ever since.

"We are proud of the progress he has made throughout his career, and particular this season when he has positively blossomed in the central midfield role Martin O’Neill so astutely felt he was tailor-made for. We are also delighted that, after playing a record number of games for the England Under 21s, he has finally got his chance at the highest level.”

Joe Hart (Birmingham): Young Player of the Year Nominee

Gordon says: “Joe’s loan move to Birmingham has certainly proved to be a good one for both parties. He has benefited from the loan system, and the chance to play regular first team football, and I am so pleased he was given the opportunity by Alex McLeish.

"He has certainly not let the Birmingham boss down. It is nice that Joe has been recognised by his fellow professionals after an excellent season during which his consistency has been exceptional.”

Rooney and Milner are twenty fucking four, how can they be nominated for young player?

I'm surprised Giggs wasnt nominated for it.

All the top players peak at that age nowadays. Should be -21.

Definitely. They need to lower it or there will be one player winning both almost every single year.

With those nominations, can't see Rooney not getting both but it's a shame to not have someone else pick up YPotY.

Wonder how many of our lads will replace these fellas:

GK Westwood Coventry City

DF Naughton Sheffield United

DF Johnson         Cardiff City

DF Stearman Wolverhampton Wanderers

DF Fox                 Coventry City

MF Kightly            Wolverhampton Wanderers

MF Hunt         Reading

MF Ledley         Cardiff City

MF Gómez         Swansea City

FW Ebanks-Blake Wolverhampton Wanderers

FW Scotland         Swansea City

6 of that team got moves in the summer.

No player in that list playing for a promoted side (Wolves) got transferred, though.

This is correct & is obvious to see why: the Wolves players are get PL football by promotion so don't move. The rest are cream of CCC so most of them got moves.

No player in that list playing for a promoted side (Wolves) got transferred, though.

This is correct & is obvious to see why: the Wolves players are get PL football by promotion so don't move. The rest are cream of CCC so most of them got moves.

Which is why I don't think you should be afraid about losing your best performers, unless your owner actively tries to sell them.

Anyway, has anybody in that list playing in the prem made the grade at all? Can only think of Hunt at Hull, but he was already a Prem-proven player in my eyes. Naughton gets a pass since he was signed as a prospect.

Cesc for young player of the year and Rooney for player of the year.

It's still mad that players like Cesc and Rooney are still in contention for the young player of the year award. I mean that simply because they both seem like they have both been performing at an extremely high level forever.

Cesc for young player of the year and Rooney for player of the year.

It's still mad that players like Cesc and Rooney are still in contention for the young player of the year award. I mean that simply because they both seem like they have both been performing at an extremely high level forever.

Agree. Imagine how long it'll feel like they'll have been in the game when they are 35 :kasper:

Roger Johnson looks good. Wigan lads are s****. Not seen enough of Wolves. We wont lose any of so called stars due to the size of wedge they are on at SJP.

Ah, haven't watched much of Birmingham, so haven't kept tabs on Johnson. I can assure you the Wolves lads have been gash, and they are not even starting anymore (Kightly been injuried a lot though)

I'd expect to see Rooney and Milner get them, but would probably give the young player award to Cesc.

Aye I'd say Cesc deserves it over Milner. It's a strange one though; you can imagine Milner winning it as opposed to Cesc, if that makes any sense at all?

Cesc is pretty much hated by other clubs cant see many players ticking the VOTE CESC box.

He is a bit of a prick like, seems to have cut out a lot of his petulance mind in the last few seasons. Best central midfielder in the Premiership for me.

I'd expect to see Rooney and Milner get them, but would probably give the young player award to Cesc.

Aye I'd say Cesc deserves it over Milner. It's a strange one though; you can imagine Milner winning it as opposed to Cesc, if that makes any sense at all?

I've always saw the young player award being more for not exactly up-and-coming players, but less obvious choices than the main award.