NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

But on the other hand, £35m quid doesn't completely transform the picture of the club's finances. You could equally argue that spending it all on transfers now would be a reckless way to manage the club.

seriously ian, seriously?

taking devils advocate to the extreme here like

I'm not saying we shouldn't spend anything, but wouldn't using some of the money to shore up other aspects of our finances be a good idea?

my lord. we're the 3rd biggest club in the country dude....yeah, let's invest that 35m in the seat and pie stands...oh no wait they've been sold off

etc....

Guest Antec

I think the biggest problem is people are having their expectations crushed.

When Carroll was sold all we could do was console ourselves with the belief/hope that we now had £35m to play with come the summer. Now despite having made three potentially great additions to the squad we've, on the surface, not spent any money. We've been cheated!

I'm certainly getting that feeling reading many of the posts - but, but, you have not spent any money!!

Admittedly, as things currently stand, it looks like we will still be a bit light on quality in squad depth. Arguably we could/should complain about that. But personally I'm convinced we have a much stronger, not marginally stronger, first eleven. Two signings still to come, and personally I don't think Taylor is counted one of them but maybe he is.

This keeping money for the January window is an appeasement statement no doubt about that, transparently so, and we have a right to mock it. As is the continued emphasis on the £35m as if there are no other revenue streams or income. We definitely have money available. Counting 1yr of a players (several players) salary as having come out of that Carroll money would certainly account for a fair whack of that money, but it can only be viewed as sensible or clever if in the future we are still competing where others no longer can.

I can't predict the future nor am I much of an accountant or economist, but if I take the dim view that Ashley is just recouping his investment then I will be despondent, utterly despondent.

So for my own sake I try and maintain a balanced view and consider the future can be brighter and rest easy for now on the fact that I can't wait to see how the new look Newcastle Utd play next season.

Good post. What's annoying me regarding the spending of the money is not that I believe it should be spent for the sake of it, but that I believe we are in an ideal position to push on and really make an impact in the Premier League this upcoming season. We did far better than most expected this time around, to me we should be building on that rather than merely consolidating. It's not like we just scraped survival.

I believe the Carroll money gives us the perfect opportunity to bring forward any plans we had for pushing up the league in the future - assuming we had any.

There is that too, I can't argue with it. If only those feckers would communicate genuinely with us and we could trust what they said. A push for Europe could definitely be on the cards with 3 or 4 more in the door.

This is always going to be a problem

But on the other hand, £35m quid doesn't completely transform the picture of the club's finances. You could equally argue that spending it all on transfers now would be a reckless way to manage the club.

I'm not saying we shouldn't spend anything, but wouldn't using some of the money to shore up other aspects of our finances be a good idea?

No. There are other substantial incomes to cover all that, especially as the wage bill is dropping by the year.

If wages are not considered, I'd agree with Ian.

Guest Antec

Long 6m (low wages) N'Zogbia 9m (wages covered by Barton sale), that would be both realistic and entirely affordable assuming Joey goes and we've still got 15m left in the kitty

My post from a few pages back, sound plausible?

Smith off the wagebill next year? Sell/loan Xisco? Sell one of Loven/Stroller/Best? Possible?

Long 6m (low wages) N'Zogbia 9m (wages covered by Barton sale), that would be both realistic and entirely affordable assuming Joey goes and we've still got 15m left in the kitty

My post from a few pages back, sound plausible?

Smith off the wagebill next year? Sell/loan Xisco? Sell one of Loven/Stroller/Best? Possible?

Yeah, that's all probably possible. We already tried to sign Gameiro for a pretty decent fee, so it's not out of the question IMO.

Guest Antec

Which one?

Impossible, this one.

Smith would have no chance to leave this summer. Yes he will be released next year but that's not accounted for now - not saying I agree with that but just I know Ashley would not be that lenient.

Xisco --- the club does not want to loan out anymore, but no club wants to pay for him obviously

Loven/Stroller/Best --- what club would spend money on them? If it's for free, we better just keep them for our own use.

Guest TheSummerOf69

if you look back through the history of big transfers in england the (smaller) receiving club do either one of two things; (i) spend a good proportion of the fee or (ii) pocket the money

waddle, beardsley & gazza are examples of (ii)

any guesses where the carroll money will fall?

Wadlle and Beardsley were. We got half a milion for Waddle, but Jack Charlton prefered cloggers over his lazy loping style anyway; then 2 million for Beardsley (when that was a sizeable amount!) because the board fancied that cash rather than giving him a decent contract (sound familiar?).

The (3 million, was it?) Gazza money we for once reinvested - on Dave Beasant and Andy Thorne from cup-winners Wimbledon, and tiches John Robertson from Scotland and winger John Hendrie...

...were then promptly relegated. (Hopefully this won't seem like deja vu in a year's time).

Guest TheSummerOf69

Loven/Stroller/Best --- what club would spend money on them? If it's for free, we better just keep them for our own use.

Best had a scoring rate of 1 every 2 games last year in the Premier League, didn't he? Someone might pay for that.

Loven and Shola are useful reserves I reckon. Best too, but he's one for knocking on Pardew's door so putting him up for sale is probably just to keep him quiet if no-one comes in.

Guest Antec

Smith would have no chance to leave this summer. Yes he will be released next year but that's not accounted for now - not saying I agree with that but just I know Ashley would not be that lenient.

Xisco --- the club does not want to loan out anymore, but no club wants to pay for him obviously

All perfectly capable goalscorers in the championship. Whether they'd go is another matter

Guest Antec

If we're playing with one up front and I'm certain we will be then any new striker will initially have to start from the bench or be a striker cum attacking midfielder assuming Ba is the main man. Would Erding/Long fit this system?

not sure on Erding but I believe Long could

Ba

Marveaux   Ben Arfa  A N Other

Tiote      Cabaye

I can't see any other way to play Tiote AND Cabaye, anyone suggest anything?

I still think this is going to be the formation. With one up front the three behind have to be mobile (Jonas - yes, Barton - not so much) and goalscorers (Jonas - no, Barton - reasonable) The bit in bold seems nailed on unless anyone can suggest something different

With Ameobi and Lovenkrands going into the last year of their contracts it'll be a great indicator of our ambition as to whether they're offered new contracts or not. Sadly, I think they'll both be too amiable and accept whatever new contracts they're offered.

If we're playing with one up front and I'm certain we will be then any new striker will initially have to start from the bench or be a striker cum attacking midfielder assuming Ba is the main man. Would Erding/Long fit this system?

Ba

Marveaux  Ben Arfa  A N Other

Tiote      Cabaye

I still think this is going to be the formation. With one up front the three behind have to be mobile (Jonas - yes, Barton - not so much) and goalscorers (Jonas - no, Barton - reasonable) The bit in bold seems nailed on unless anyone can suggest something different

I don't. Too adventurous. It will be 4-4-1-1, albeit a lot more fluid and mobile than we are used to watching.

Ba

Tiote      Cabaye

Aye, can see Marveaux being eased in though

Guest Antec

Ba

Tiote      Cabaye

I don't. Too adventurous. It will be 4-4-1-1, albeit a lot more fluid and mobile than we are used to watching.

So Ben Arfa behind Ba, Marveaux and A N Other on the wings and Tiote/Cabaye in the middle? Could work