NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Cole can produce moments of skill - like with his goal against Birmingham in the League Cup semi - that put him in a class above your average target man. Hence the international recognition.

The natural progression of his career got disrupted by the Abramovich revolution at Chelsea. I don't think he got the right chances at the right time, and then ended up being farmed out on loan here and there. His temperament was also a bit wayward.

We could be the chance he's been waiting for, at the right time, so I'd be happy to see him sign.

You have some points. If you place an attacker aka Bellamy beside him, and he got to Barton and another winger on the left to constantly provide him with crossers, he could bag some goals. But the fact is that he got a s*** scoring ratio. And I think he, despite WH's economical situation, is on a very good contract. In other words, the lad may have potential, but he's not worth £10 mill and a £40 000 a week contract.

I will take him, but only on a free transfer or minimal sum (WH may be forced to sell  him cheaply if they go down), and if he settles for a wage that is represents his performances on the pitch. He scores one goal in approximately every fifth game. That is not good enough to justify a sweet contract. Sign him on maximum £15 a week, and renegotiate if he delivers

I think £15 a week might be a bit unfair.  At least cover his travel expenses as well.

West Ham can ask for as much as they want but I bet if they go down they'll get £6-7m tops for Cole. Him along with a £10-15m striker who'll bag 15 goals a season would work imo.

6-7 is generous in the extreme

That's and understatement, especially when we consider what we paid for HBA and  Tiote. TBH, I would be furious if we spent more than £2 mill on this player.

In fairness - there is always going to be a premium on strikers.  It is unlikely that we will ever be able to get a deal for a striker like the ones we have got for Ben Arfa or Tiote.

£10m is just a newspaper figure plucked from thin air. The actual figure will depend on what competition there is for his signature, and where he himself wants to go. I imagine West Ham will have to settle for around £5 million.

Former Liverpool striker Djibril Cisse has vowed to quit Panathinaikos after claiming he has been racially abused this season.

Cisse, who also played for Sunderland, has revealed how he fears the Greek league is becoming increasingly hostile to black players.

He told L’Equipe: 'This season the atmosphere in the stands has got worse. Twice already, I have been the victim of monkey chants, of racist insults.'

Referring to the 2-1 defeat to leaders Olympiakos, he added: 'It was the same thing again on Saturday night.

'They managed to get inflatable bananas (into the stadium) that they were shaking around every time I touched the ball.

'This summer I’m leaving, that’s for sure. It’s impossible for me here. Even though the Pana fans are fantastic, even though the club is great, I don’t want to play in this league any more.'

Cisse was one of four Panathinaikos players attacked as fans swarmed on to the field after the final whistle.

He added: 'I was their target. Some of them hit me and I retaliated to defend myself. It’s a disgrace. I’m not going to let things lie. This week, I will make a complaint to UEFA and I can tell you I won’t drop it.'

Cisse has scored 41 goals in 49 league games for Panathinaikos.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1359234/Djibril-Cisse-hits-racist-Greek-league-declares-plan-quit-Panathinaikos.html#ixzz1EgADOnbF

Didn't we have scouts at one of their games a while ago?

We're not going after Cisse. He doesn't fit MA player profile, on which he's been consistent. I hope we were looking at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sotiris_Ninis

It says something about how overrated English players are when we're able to get this highly promising prospect for £8 mill (buy out clause), which is approximately the same amout WH will demand for Cole, who's PROVEN scoring ration is a disgrace.

Now you see, even if we paid £8m or whatever for Cisse, 2 or 3 years down the line I still reckon you'd get about £6m for him even at 32ish from some rich Turkish, Greek or Russian club in the Champions League who'd splash the cash for his name alone as well as guaranteed goals for a couple of years.

Feel like I've stepped into bizarro world. People advocating spending ten million on Carlton fucking Cole to replace Andy Carroll?!

I thought this money was better than having Carroll and will give us a far better team according to some on here? Cole couldn't lace Carroll's boots.

I'd honestly rather have given him away for free than sign that lump. Is this the clever scouting for bargains that everyone keeps banging on about and telling me we're brilliant at? Jesus.

The title says 'rumours'. I doubt we will know who we are about to sign until they walk through the door. We might well be underwhelmed mind you.

Feel like I've stepped into bizarro world. People advocating spending ten million on Carlton fucking Cole to replace Andy Carroll?!

I thought this money was better than having Carroll and will give us a far better team according to some on here? Cole couldn't lace Carroll's boots.

I'd honestly rather have given him away for free than sign that lump. Is this the clever scouting for bargains that everyone keeps banging on about and telling me we're brilliant at? Jesus.

Whoah there tonto, it's just a press rumour.

Obviously I would be gutted if we signed Cole, as 90% of the time he's awful.