NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

The English effect means we could get a player

Why the f*** would we want to cater to Defoe's style though? :lol:

He's a small striker, in both size and style, he offers no work rate, or physical presense that could help us up top. All he has is decent strike and a turn of pace which has netted him a slightly above average goal record. Absolutely useless signing for the price he would cost us.

Because he'll return that with a haul of goals? He's done it all his career, I really don't know what standard of striker people are expecting us to sign to be honest, given the response to Defoe being linked.

Jermain Defoe? A haul of goals? All his career? :spit:

Jesus f***ing wept.

Oh the hilarity 178 goals in 431 apps. Pathetic record.

100 goals in 307 premiership apearances, an absolute haul of goals mate, a haul of goals!

Or maybe... it's not spectacular and it's not awful. Just a wild thought.

It's not a "haul of goals", which is what i'm saying. Just to clarify.

He's quick, direct and scores goals. For that purpose he'd be a massive improvement on our strikeforce, but he has a number of limitations.

Selfish, not a great player in the build up, not a physical presence, doesn't get into good positions as much as he should and most worryingly is off the back of a very bad season.

Negatives easily out-weigh the positives, on top of his age and what we'll have to spend on him, there's no reason to go for him unless we're desperate.

He's quick, direct and scores goals. For that purpose he'd be a massive improvement on our strikeforce, but he has a number of limitations.

Selfish, not a great player in the build up, not a physical presence, doesn't get into good positions as much as he should and most worryingly is off the back of a very bad season.

It wouldn't be a very good signing unless we got him for less than about £7m and played him every single week. It's not going to happen anyway, fuck knows why anyone is talking about it.

Defoe is better than what we have so signing him would give us at least three years of a striker far better than what we have.

Yes he has flaws, but you could list twice as many for all our current strikers.

It's all about improving each year, it's not a matter of signing the best in the world each year. And some seem to find it hard accepting somewhere in between but further on than what we got. Not you though sir from what I've read.

It wouldn't be a very good signing unless we got him for less than about £7m and played him every single week. It's not going to happen anyway, fuck knows why anyone is talking about it.

Think it would be a very feesible signing tbh, apart from the fact English + 28 doesn't really fit our transfer policy.

He's a small striker, in both size and style, he offers no work rate, or physical presense that could help us up top. All he has is decent strike and a turn of pace which has netted him a slightly above average goal record. Absolutely useless signing for the price he would cost us.

Because he'll return that with a haul of goals? He's done it all his career, I really don't know what standard of striker people are expecting us to sign to be honest, given the response to Defoe being linked.

Jesus f***ing wept.

100 goals in 307 premiership apearances, an absolute haul of goals mate, a haul of goals!

Who would you sign who is better?

It's not a question of just 'who is better', it's a question of who better fits into our playing style, and who wouldn't cost us absurd money for what we get in return.

I'd take Defoe, but I doubt Tottenham would sell him for a reasonable price.

Plus due to his age and the potential wages he would command, I can see this being a total non-starter.

This. The source is terrible, and it doesn't even make sense if what we're told on scouting is true (looking for foreign talent, only buying relatively young players, etc.)

Defoe would improve us greatly, only the fee, his age, his form and his wages are a problem.

I'd rather take a chance on someone younger, keep to the plan we apparently have, but if we went for him it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Defoe is a good finisher, inside and outside the box. For that, he needs to play right up on the last defenders, but at the same time, like Owen, he's not great at holding the ball up. That kind of striker isn't so much in favour at the top level any more.

Jesus f***ing wept.

Who would you sign who is better?

It's not a question of just 'who is better', it's a question of who better fits into our playing style, and who wouldn't cost us absurd money for what we get in return.

Fine, who "better fits into our playing style, and who wouldn't cost us absurd money for what we get in return"?

Perhaps you will answer the question if I ask you you're own question.

Defoe is a good finisher, inside and outside the box. For that, he needs to play right up on the last defenders, but at the same time, like Owen, he's not great at holding the ball up. That kind of striker isn't so much in favour at the top level any more.

Top four you mean? or Premiership?

Defoe would improve us greatly, only the fee, his age, his form and his wages are a problem.

I'd rather take a chance on someone younger, keep to the plan we apparently have, but if we went for him it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Good post sir, I feel the same.

Guest palnese

Erm.. Hernandez?

In what world is one in three s****? :lol:

Aye, I did say it was shit like, didn't I.

Aye, I did say you did, didn't I.

:p

Just the general consensus some are portraying. Defoe has generally been a very good goalscorer for club and country, to say otherwise is mental IMO. Yeah, he's not Shearer (1 in 2) or Messi/Ronaldo/Torres/Drogba (1 in 1) but there tends to be a very small bunch of fantastic strikers and a very large bunch of mediocre strikers. Defoe is neither.

Erm.. Hernandez?

Done very well hasn't he. And making Rooney look a million times better. £6m was it? what a bargain.

Just the general consensus some are portraying. Defoe has generally been a very good goalscorer for club and country, to say otherwise is mental IMO. Yeah, he's not Shearer (1 in 2) or Messi/Ronaldo/Torres/Drogba (1 in 1) but there tends to be a very small bunch of fantastic strikers and a very large bunch of mediocre strikers. Defoe is neither.

Very true sir.

Have always thought Defoe was a good player, though his form this season has been piss poor, whether that's because Spurs changed their style of play because VDV arrived, and just played with one up top, or whether it signals the start ofa decline I'm not sure. Probably both, I reckon.

Either way, if I had to nail my colours to the mast I'd be disappointed if he was one of the two strikers we're allegedly buying this summer. For the money he'd be asking for I would think there are better options elsewhere.

Very true sir.

Nah, middle ground doesn't exist. Either someone is wonderful or they're shit. Since Defoe isn't great, he's automatically shit and you, a team consistently playing Shola Ameobi and Peter Lovenkrands, should stay well away. Of course, it's not that realistic Spurs would sell for a reasonable fee (under £8m) and it remains to be seen what wages he'd ask for.

Have always thought Defoe was a good player, though his form this season has been piss poor, whether that's because Spurs changed their style of play because VDV arrived, and just played with one up top, or whether it signals the start ofa decline I'm not sure. Probably both, I reckon.

Either way, if I had to nail my colours to the mast I'd be disappointed if he was one of the two strikers we're allegedly buying this summer. For the money he'd be asking for I would think there are better options elsewhere.

Love the avatar once again. :lol: O0