NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

While I'd love Sturridge here, I don't think we'd be signing all these players if we were going to spend £20million on him. Add to that he's on much higher wages and I just don't think it's realistic. I think Pip's suggestion that we grow the squad year on year is more workable.

While I'd love Sturridge here, I don't think we'd be signing all these players if we were going to spend £20million on him. Add to that he's on much higher wages and I just don't think it's realistic. I think Pip's suggestion that we grow the squad year on year is more workable.

Why?

Guest guinness_fiend

Hypothetical question. What would people rather have?

N'Zogbia and Erding.

Or

Sturridge and Barnetta.

That's under the consideration that signing both Zog and Sturridge would be too expensive.

Sturridge and Barnetta.

Whilst I will not dispute that N'Zogbia is a class act, I don't want him anywhere near the club.

:rolleyes:

I thought that N'Zogbia's attitude stank during his last spell at the club and I'd rather take a punt on a different player than risk introducing an already proven disruptive influence into an otherwise stable dressing-room. 

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I reckon we'll end up with Barnetta at some point this window. Which would be a good thing.

Why?

I can't see Ashley spending that much dough on transfer fees and wages. From the noises coming out of the club we are going to be making a few more signings and even if the fees aren't astronomical the salaries still mount up. It all depends on how much Ashley makes available at the end of the day though.

The latter for sure.

Sturridge is top class. He's probably worth close to £20m, and in an ideal world we'd be able to spend that and still get in Barnetta and a central midfielder.

At this point in time I think if we bought Sturridge our budget would be blown, and we have too many holes in the squad at the moment. Like I said, in a year or two's time we should definitely be financially capable of spending £15-20m on a player, which is why right now I'd go for the Barnetta/Erdinc/Matuidi combo for £25m.

Where are these holes? The only real gaping hole is up front imo.

I'd rather spend that money on Sturridge than cover for three, four, five positions. While I don't think our depth is particularly great in terms of quality, I don't want to see us spend our money on buying "cover". As we've mentioned Everton, I would prefer a top quality first team ahead of massive depth in terms of numbers like we have at the moment, which is the principle they generally operate on.

I think you're overplaying our financial crisis tbh. I just don't see it.

:thup:

Aye, very stable. I'd personally love to be a part of a dressing room doimated by Michael Owen, Nicky Butt and Damien c***.

Think he meant the current dressing room.

Well, no. He said 'proven'. He couldn't have been referring to the current lot.

Guest guinness_fiend

Aye, very stable. I'd personally love to be a part of a dressing room doimated by Michael Owen, Nicky Butt and Damien c***.

Think he meant the current dressing room.

Well, no. He said 'proven'. He couldn't have been referring to the current lot.

:lol:

The latter for sure.

Sturridge is top class. He's probably worth close to £20m, and in an ideal world we'd be able to spend that and still get in Barnetta and a central midfielder.

At this point in time I think if we bought Sturridge our budget would be blown, and we have too many holes in the squad at the moment. Like I said, in a year or two's time we should definitely be financially capable of spending £15-20m on a player, which is why right now I'd go for the Barnetta/Erdinc/Matuidi combo for £25m.

Where are these holes? The only real gaping hole is up front imo.

I'd rather spend that money on Sturridge than cover for three, four, five positions. While I don't think our depth is particularly great in terms of quality, I don't want to see us spend our money on buying "cover". As we've mentioned Everton, I would prefer a top quality first team ahead of massive depth in terms of numbers like we have at the moment, which is the principle they generally operate on.

I think you're overplaying our financial crisis tbh. I just don't see it.

Right now we've got a hole at RB, CB, a winger, CM and another striker. I see us addressing two, maybe three, of those positions this window by spending £15-25m net and getting first-team starters. That would be good progress for us considering last year we were still in the Championship. I also think that by filling those holes, we'll be able to compete for the top 8. But if we spend £20m on Sturridge, I think we won't be able to cough up anymore because his wages would obviously be extremely high. That would mean that we wouldn't have a winger to back up Jonas/Marveaux, and with the thin squad that we already have, that's not something that I'd prefer doing.

I'm not sure about our finances, honestly. We were getting close to £100m in revenue when Ashley came, but that dropped to £70m-ish last year, IIRC. Now that the TV money is higher, we'll break £100m. Our wage bill was £70m-ish, close to £80m when we got relegated. That came down to what, £60m, last year? I think it's roughly about the same level, marginally less. That's a good ratio. I don't know about all our other costs, though, and how much money we will be able to spend on transfers sustainably from next year onwards.

The Carroll money was obviously an exceptional item, which is why expecting us to spend all of it (and be able to pay the wages associated) this summer is unrealistic. We'll eventually spend more than we get from selling. That's a given, imo. I'm not worried about our long-term finances anymore and I'm bullish about our chances of competing with Liverpool and Spurs in two years.

Guest guinness_fiend

Not sure what you're laughing at. N'Zogbia has never proved himself to be a disruptive influence within a stable dressing room.

That's not what I said.  Read it again, slowly.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I reckon we'll end up with Barnetta at some point this window. Which would be a good thing.

Douglas seems to think we're still in for him and Matuidi like.

Aye, both would be excellent additions. Our midfield's getting a little bit quality. :laugh:

We'd be laughing with those two plus Erdinc.

I've been offered 5/1 that we'll finish above Liverpool. If we get Barnetta, Erdinc and Matuidi (or players of the same level who play in their positions), I'm sticking £200 on that.

We'd be laughing with those two plus Erdinc.

I've been offered 5/1 that we'll finish above Liverpool. If we get Barnetta, Erdinc and Matuidi (or players of the same level who play in their positions), I'm sticking £200 on that.

May as well give it to charity if you're considering chucking it away.

Tiote Matuidi

Cabaye

Fucking defensive like.

Like Ronaldo (I think it was) said on here a few weeks ago, there is a lot to be said for playing with 2 defensive midfielders. Especially in away games.

Guest Rob 1988

Bothroyd still to decide future

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_6996500,00.html

England striker Jay Bothroyd's future has yet to be decided, according to his agent.

The 28-year-old is due to leave Cardiff when his contract expires later this month.

With QPR, Everton, Newcastle, Sunderland and West Ham all battling to sign the forward, representative Sky Andrew insists a deal has yet to be done.

"Jay has just come back from holiday," Andrew said. "It's an exciting time for him because he has spent three years turning his life around.

"He's in a good position, he's a Bosman (transfer).

"There's been quite a lot of interest and now he is back I'm actually just going to sit down with him and try and decide what is the best route to go down."