Italia '90 Team

Tooj

I've just been having a watch of some old Italia '90 footage of the England team. It's painstakingly obvious how much better they were technically compared to the current crop.

So I've been thinking, how many players from the current setup do you think would get into that team?  :undecided:

Rooney?  I reckon football has come on a bit both fitness and skill  and tactically wise since the early nineties so I reckon some of this team that aren't rated that highly would be contenders for the 90s team.  Having said that, the likes of Gazza were class.

So...dunno... :undecided:

I've just been having a watch of some old Italia '90 footage of the England team. It's painstakingly obvious how much better they were technically compared to the current crop.

So I've been thinking, how many players from the current setup do you think would get into that team?  :undecided:

Rooney would get in, not sure who out of Beardsley or Lineker you'd drop though.  Possibly Terry at the expense of Butcher.

We started with a flat back 4 until the main players persuaded Bobby to play with wing backs and a sweeper.The side which performed best was:

Shilton

Parker

Walker

Butcher

Wright

Pearce

Waddle

Gascoigne

Platt

Beardsley

Lineker

I thought bryan robson missed the whole tournament, but i was watching the group games  a couple of days ago and was surprised to see him playing. Lost my trai of thought now, oh aye shilton. He was about 5 years passed it in 1990.

Shilts

Parker

Terry for Butch

Wright stays as I cant recall seeing any of the 2010 lot play sweeper

Rio for Walker

Cole for Pearce. Cole & Parker would be awesome

Lampard for Waddle

Gascoigne

Platt

Rooney for Pedro

Links

Shilts

Parker

Terry for Butch

Rio for Walker

Lampard for Waddle

Gascoigne

Platt

Rooney for Pedro

Links

There is no way Rio can replace Walker.Or Lamps for Waddle,maybe Lamps for Platt.

I thought bryan robson missed the whole tournament, but i was watching the group games  a couple of days ago and was surprised to see him playing. Lost my trai of thought now, oh aye shilton. He was about 5 years passed it in 1990.

We'd have won it if Shilton had remembered how to step backwards.

Shilts

Parker

Terry for Butch

Rio for Walker

Lampard for Waddle

Gascoigne

Platt

Rooney for Pedro

Links

There is no way Rio can replace Walker.Or Lamps for Waddle,maybe Lamps for Platt.

Rio is better than Des ffs. I would of kept Waddle if it was 442 but that team was 5-3-2 so I reckon Lamps would do a better job than Waddle.

Shilts

Parker

Terry for Butch

Rio for Walker

Lampard for Waddle

Gascoigne

Platt

Rooney for Pedro

Links

Rio is better than Des ffs. I would of kept Waddle if it was 442 but that team was 5-3-2 so I reckon Lamps would do a better job than Waddle.

Des at least twice as good a defender than Rio,which coincidentally is what Rio's opinion of himself is.Lampard for Platt is the only change you can make,or even Gerrard.Waddle was world class in those times,except for taking pens that is.

Shilts

Parker

Terry for Butch

Rio for Walker

Lampard for Waddle

Gascoigne

Platt

Rooney for Pedro

Links

I have to say although different players,Lamps at his peak couldn't lace Waddle's boots,at his.