The 2010-2011 Betting Thread - forum gamble fails, Ash's fault.

Kaizero

The number one rule of betting is that you don't bet unless you have reasonable info of the teams...so on that count I will wait for the World Cup...can't even pronounce the names of those Norwegian teams!

The World Cup? The way international football is, you'd have more luck picking teams at random :lol:

Er, isn't the WC part of the 2009-2010 season?

Why not start a WC betting thread? :)

'cause the season is over when the CL is over, at least in my book. :lol: And I don't think the WC is really part of any "season"? It's just in between them?

Albeit I might have jumped the gun with a few days :lol: old one didn't start until sometime in June IIRC. Don't know when the 08-09 one started.

Might start calling you bigchrisfgb O0

With the exception I'm the one usually starting these threads. O0 So why not just talk about betting before this thread gets ruined by nonsense? :)

Oh RLY?

You're right, you started the last one...

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,62964.0.html

Which must mean that thread is the betting-thread equivalent of 1992...

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,33733.0.html (Nut)

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,43822.0.html (Jamie)

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,55091.0.html (Benwell)

FWIW, it's not really important who starts the thread, I was originally commenting on how early it had started - the first posts are usually the ante-post bets in July/August.

World Cup in June seemed a little early to be starting a new fred. :p

Guest Supersylt

The number one rule of betting is that you don't bet unless you have reasonable info of the teams...so on that count I will wait for the World Cup...can't even pronounce the names of those Norwegian teams!

i now have decent info on the norwegian league but when i started betting on it  all i had was league placings, recent form guide etc and i've always ended in profit from it (unlike the swedish league)

If you have the right info there is a lot of money to get from betting on the Norwegian Third Division. I make a good profit on that league every year.

The best tips to win money imo is to only bet when you have really good info, that will say more info than the bookies, and there is a good value in your bet. If you bet just for the entertainment you will most likely ending up losing in the long run. In the World Cup and big leagues the bookies almost always will have more info than you.

i now have decent info on the norwegian league but when i started betting on it  all i had was league placings, recent form guide etc and i've always ended in profit from it (unlike the swedish league)

If you have the right info there is a lot of money to get from betting on the Norwegian Third Division. I make a good profit on that league every year.

Third division is great for making easy money, yeah. :thup:

The best tips to win money imo is to only bet when you have really good info, that will say more info than the bookies, and there is a good value in your bet. If you bet just for the entertainment you will most likely ending up losing in the long run. In the World Cup and big leagues the bookies almost always will have more info than you.

for the past 3 years i've been healthily in profit and i use betfair so no bookies are involved. and remember the bookies are as often reacting to the money they stand to lose as much as the info they have.

'cause the season is over when the CL is over, at least in my book. :lol: And I don't think the WC is really part of any "season"? It's just in between them?

Albeit I might have jumped the gun with a few days :lol: old one didn't start until sometime in June IIRC. Don't know when the 08-09 one started.

With the exception I'm the one usually starting these threads. O0 So why not just talk about betting before this thread gets ruined by nonsense? :)

Oh RLY?

In my defense, for some reason I thought I had started the 2008 one as well. :lol:

Oh RLY?

In my defense, for some reason I thought I had started the 2008 one as well. :lol:

i was tempted to start one but with everyone starting off with the same ammount (or points for those who dant want to use cash) and with everyone posting bets prior to the event (with what odds etc) and see who ends the season with the most.

Guest je85

I forgot I put a little bit on Inter to win the tournament after their home leg against barca, woke up to a couple of quid in my account. Considering putting some on Defoe to score anytime tonight.

Oh RLY?

i was tempted to start one but with everyone starting off with the same ammount (or points for those who dant want to use cash) and with everyone posting bets prior to the event (with what odds etc) and see who ends the season with the most.

Sounds good - would happily chuck a tenner in to keep it competitive until the end of the 2010/11 season (although the exact date would need to be confirmed!)

Guest scum

What does, for eg, 'England -1' mean?

minus 1 goal. Its a handicap.

e.g. england have to win with a goal difference of more than plus 1. So 2-0, 3-1 etc, if they win by one goal then the handicap is a tie and you lose your money.

As well as the Swindon, Argentina, England -1 treble I posted earlier (£5), a few England specific ones:

First goal to be a header - £1

England to score 4 or more goals - £1

Rooney hat-trick - £1

England to win both halves - £2