Keegan not new Hamburg manager

Optimistic Nut

Keegan didn't quit city, it was a mutual agreement to not renew his contract. At least that's how I remember it. Both chairman and manager wanted a change, not really a walk out.

He didnt really quit England on principle, he quit England as he statistically had the worst win % as permanent England manager ever.

He quit Man City as he was sick of management.

How many jobs has Jose Mourinho quit?

Not one. He left Porto but his contract was run down. He was sacked (went by mutual blabla) by Chelsea. He (maybe) now will quit Inter, though.

But tbf he won them the Champions League and deserves to get his move to another club.

Guest Brummiemag

What makes me chuckle is the pompous, denunciatory tone adopted by the Keegan-can-do-no-wrong brigade.

"Disgraceful", "appalling", "frankly disgusting" etc.

It's like reading the letters page of the Daily Telegraph. Brilliant!

Well well well, look what the cat dragged in Its Super Ozzie.

No one says KK hasn't got his faults its the shitty snide comments that get me annoyed. 

Thats what appauls me about NUFC fans, other clubs tend to supoort their heros regardless, some fans should hang their heads in fucking shame.

To be fair to other NUFC fans, its only some people on this forum that make nasty, ill informed comments about Keegan. I can only assume they are ignorant, too young to remember or they dont appreciate entertaining attacking football.

All the Newcastle fans I know, particularly the ones I meet at away games, hold him in the highest regard. 

Denied by HSV spokesperson...

[...]Das allerdings trifft laut Konstantin Krüger nicht zu: "Unser Vorstand hat sich nicht mit Keegan getroffen", so der HSV-Sprecher am Montag.[...]

I have to say i was definately in the kk was right to quit camp but didn't he also try to sue us for 25 million, which personally puts me in the yes Mike Ashley is a cunty camp but also in the Kevin Keegan is a cunt camp.

Guest malandro

He didnt really quit England on principle, he quit England as he statistically had the worst win % as permanent England manager ever.

Not one. He left Porto but his contract was run down. He was sacked (went by mutual blabla) by Chelsea. He (maybe) now will quit Inter, though.

But tbf he won them the Champions League and deserves to get his move to another club.

He quit Benfica after nine games when his request for a contract extension was declined by the club president. Quitter.

He quit Benfica after nine games when his request for a contract extension was declined by the club president. Quitter.

Oh, forgot he's been at Benfica tbh. My Mourinho following only starts on from Porto.

Official now btw, Armin Veh will be next head coach of HSV.  :lol: :lol:

OMG. He has failed badly everytime since becoming surprise champions with Stuttgart back in 2006. Keegan would have been a way better choice imo.

Well isn't that the implication in "having the final say" or do you really think he got who he wanted as he knew the constraints of the club and the only reason he left was gonzalez coming in ?

do you think gonzalez coming in was the biggest thing at the club and all that wants answering ? you not bothered about what else was going on.

I don't think he implies anything about the players he wanted or the boards ability to deliver.

He states implicitly the problem was a specific player being forced upon him.  The players he wanted and the efforts made (or not) to secure them was never brought up by Keegan or the club.  If anything, it's implied that he was quite happy that he'd had final say on the players already signed in the summer (Jonas, Colo, Guthrie, Bassong).

If he was making unreasonable demands it was up to the club to show that.  They haven't and won't.

Keegan's never walked out of a club due to budgetry constraints.  He's left every club in a better league position than he found it.  Three out of four in higher divisions than he found them.

The stick he gets from some Newcastle fans is appalling.

do you think had we, for example, signed modric,schweinsteiger,henry aswell as those we did sign he'd have considered himself to be constructivly dismissed over the gonzalez position ?

somehow i think he'd have managed to cope with a player he didn't want (and was under no obligation to play). i doubt it would be the most outlandish thing in the world to say it's quite possible he used that as an excuse to get out.

edit...and as i said at the time i really think there ought to have been some form of FIFA/UEFA/Prem league enquiry into the favours to agents thing.

Cloud cuckoo land.  Not worth debating.

Nacho's £1m wages wouldn't cover signing those 3 players.

They could have been well spent on a player Keegan actually wanted though.

Well isn't that the implication in "having the final say" or do you really think he got who he wanted as he knew the constraints of the club and the only reason he left was gonzalez coming in ?

do you think gonzalez coming in was the biggest thing at the club and all that wants answering ? you not bothered about what else was going on.

I don't think he implies anything about the players he wanted or the boards ability to deliver.

He states implicitly the problem was a specific player being forced upon him.  The players he wanted and the efforts made (or not) to secure them was never brought up by Keegan or the club.  If anything, it's implied that he was quite happy that he'd had final say on the players already signed in the summer (Jonas, Colo, Guthrie, Bassong).

If he was making unreasonable demands it was up to the club to show that.  They haven't and won't.

Keegan's never walked out of a club due to budgetry constraints.  He's left every club in a better league position than he found it.  Three out of four in higher divisions than he found them.

The stick he gets from some Newcastle fans is appalling.

do you think had we, for example, signed modric,schweinsteiger,henry aswell as those we did sign he'd have considered himself to be constructivly dismissed over the gonzalez position ?

somehow i think he'd have managed to cope with a player he didn't want (and was under no obligation to play). i doubt it would be the most outlandish thing in the world to say it's quite possible he used that as an excuse to get out.

edit...and as i said at the time i really think there ought to have been some form of FIFA/UEFA/Prem league enquiry into the favours to agents thing.

Cloud cuckoo land.  Not worth debating.

Nacho's £1m wages wouldn't cover signing those 3 players.

They could have been well spent on a player Keegan actually wanted though.

just trying to point out that the gonzalez thing wasn't the be all and end all as it's being made out (still wrong mind as i've said often enough i'd like to see it investigated). under other circumstances keegan, in my opinion, would have got on with it and just not played the lad if he didn't think he was good enough.

However loved he may be on here, he walked out at the end of the transfer window when he was over-ruled over a loan-signing and then tried to take the club for £25 million. No club Chairman with half a brain is going to take the risk of appointing him, especially when we're talking about a manager who hasn't even won a single major trophy. And that's not taking into account his other walk-outs.

However loved he may be on here, he walked out at the end of the transfer window when he was over-ruled over a loan-signing and then tried to take the club for £25 million. No club Chairman with half a brain is going to take the risk of appointing him, especially when we're talking about a manager who hasn't even won a single major trophy. And that's not taking into account his other walk-outs.

Top managers in England said they would have done exactly the same.

It would take a manager with half a brain to agree to sign a player based on youtube clips.

It would take a manager with half a brain to agree to sign a player based on youtube clips.

i'd guess even wise hadn't seen gonzalez on youtube. seemed to me like a standard middle managers remark when carrying out actions they dont necessarily agree with themselves (i have to put up with my gaffers doing it all the time) but because they are carrying it out they can't say it's wrong.

oh and top managers like Sir Bob managed to carry on when a player was sold without his say.

Those top managers came out in Keegan's support before the tribunal findings. Afterwards, there was a rather deafening silence.

i'd guess even wise hadn't seen gonzalez on youtube. seemed to me like a standard middle managers remark when carrying out actions they dont necessarily agree with themselves (i have to put up with my gaffers doing it all the time) but because they are carrying it out they can't say it's wrong.

oh and top managers like Sir Bob managed to carry on when a player was sold without his say.

i cant recollect.  who was sold without his say?

Who gives a f*** if he ditched over teams? Would still love the man if he had taken a dump in the centre circle at Craven Cottage.

I just think sometimes people need to take their black & white tinted glasses off and realise that outside of Newcastle, not many people rate Keegan as highly as manager.

They must be fuckwits.

The important thing is what a manager achieves not the manner of their exit, and Keegan did a good job at City, a good job at Fulham, a good job at Newcastle the second time round and performed a minor miracle in his first managerial stint at SJP.

Most managers get sacked; quitting is largely the preserve of the good ones.

I don't rate Keegan much at all, not these days anyway.

He spent a fortune at City and wasted most of it on utter rubbish. Despite a couple of decent league finishes it ended up going pear shaped and by the time he left they were in a real mess. He was a terrible England boss too.

He did a good job at Fulham (albeit with a lot of financial muscle compared to his rivals) and did brilliantly at yourselves the first time round.

That first stint is ancient history now though. George Graham, Howard Kendall, Kenny Dalglish and Terry Venables wouldn't still get any decent jobs on the back of being quality managers years ago. Their shelf life is up and I think Keegan has reached that stage now.

Tin hat on.

gary speed.

Those top managers came out in Keegan's support before the tribunal findings. Afterwards, there was a rather deafening silence.

Well when they spoke out - it was before their respective games and the question was put to them by journalists.

This time around im pretty sure no manager was asked about the findings of the tribunal. 

Also, the managers association got right involved - they were very vocal and supported him throughout.

gary speed.

Remember him saying was sad to see him go.

Any links at all?

gary speed.

Any links at all?

His book.

As I've said before , the game needs people like Keegan. Much like Bobby, he loves the game and inspires people with his passion and enthusiasm. What more could you want ? He's seen by many as a failure as a manager, but in my eyes it's the modern game that's failed him.... the result driven /instant success  bollox.  It may not be the "best" for our club , but I'd want to see him back in football in an instant. :smitten:

As I've said before , the game needs people like Keegan. Much like Bobby, he loves the game and inspires people with his passion and enthusiasm. What more could you want ? He's seen by many as a failure as a manager, but in my eyes it's the modern game that's failed him.... the result driven /instant success  bollox.  It may not be the "best" for our club , but I'd want to see him back in football in an instant. :smitten:

I agree, the modern game failed him, but he failed to understand the modern game. All this shit that happens off the pitch is there, and its only going to get worse.

Guest malandro

Who gives a f*** if he ditched over teams? Would still love the man if he had taken a dump in the centre circle at Craven Cottage.

I just think sometimes people need to take their black & white tinted glasses off and realise that outside of Newcastle, not many people rate Keegan as highly as manager.

They must be fuckwits.

The important thing is what a manager achieves not the manner of their exit, and Keegan did a good job at City, a good job at Fulham, a good job at Newcastle the second time round and performed a minor miracle in his first managerial stint at SJP.

Most managers get sacked; quitting is largely the preserve of the good ones.

I don't rate Keegan much at all, not these days anyway.

He spent a fortune at City and wasted most of it on utter rubbish. Despite a couple of decent league finishes it ended up going pear shaped and by the time he left they were in a real mess. He was a terrible England boss too.

He did a good job at Fulham (albeit with a lot of financial muscle compared to his rivals) and did brilliantly at yourselves the first time round.

That first stint is ancient history now though. George Graham, Howard Kendall, Kenny Dalglish and Terry Venables wouldn't still get any decent jobs on the back of being quality managers years ago. Their shelf life is up and I think Keegan has reached that stage now.

Tin hat on.

I see Keegan as an impact manager. Somebody who comes in and breathes life into a club - he needs a bit of money but in the long run it’s a sound investment. He did it at NUFC and he did at Fulham, who wouldn’t have been a whisker away from winning a European trophy it hadn’t been for the foot up KK gave them. And you can criticise his time at City but he did get them promoted with a record points haul and they haven’t been relegated since. Not bad for a club that was in the third division not that long back.

What he’s not very good at is pragmatism. He always wants to aim high and he always wants to play open football, which is why he was totally unsuitable for the kind of manager Ashley wanted.

If you look back at his career (distinguished career at Liverpool, twice European football of the year with Hamburg, captain of his country, inspired NUFC to promotion as a player, two promotions with three clubs as a manager – including taking NUFC from the brink of the third division to the brink of the league title) branding him a quitter really is petty shit slinging. There’s very few people in football who have achieved as much as KK. It embarrassing to read NUFC supporters slagging him off after everything he has done for the club.

gary speed.

Any links at all?

i remember it mainly from an interview with gary speed. i'll have a look for a link.

edit...

Bolton did manage to poach Gary Speed from us, however, and therein lies another tale of how disjointed the manager-chairman relationship had become. On our tour of the Far East, John Carver suddenly informed me, “We’ve had an offer for Gary Speed from Bolton.” I knew nothing about it, so I went in search of the chairman for clarification. On no account did I want Gary Speed to leave.

First I caught up with the player himself. “Gary, what’s all this about you wanting to go to Bolton Wanderers? I know nothing about it. The chairman hasn’t mentioned it to me. When John Carver told me an hour ago I was aghast. What do you want to go to Bolton for?”

“The club are going to let me go,” Gary said. “If you don’t know anything about it, you’d better see the chairman.” “As far as I’m concerned, you’re not going to Bolton Wanderers,” I told him. “You’re staying here.”

That Saturday night, the day of our game, I tried the chairman’s room, reception, the restaurant and bar. Eventually, I was told he was out. I was so angry I sat in the foyer, waiting, for half an hour.

Finally, the chairman’s figure appeared in the doorway and I confronted him there and then.

Under cross-examination he denied all knowledge of Gary’s impending move. It was heading into the realms of farce.

The next step, naturally, was to go back to Gary. I spoke to him on our flight from Hong Kong. “The chairman says he knows nothing about this Bolton thing,” I said and left it there.

We arrived back in Newcastle on the Monday morning and, early that afternoon, the chairman called me. “Gary Speed is here with me, he wants to see you. He wants to say goodbye,” he said.

“What?” I exclaimed.

The deal had been completed that morning. Fifty years in the game had taught me that you cannot construct a transfer in four hours. The idea that a player of Gary Speed’s calibre can be sold in four hours is absurd and yet I was being told throughout the weekend that the club knew nothing of Bolton’s interest in one of our most valued players.