Our Forwards

QBG

Andy Carroll is our only Prem quality striker, therefore we need a pacey striking partner to go with him or get an old experienced head who can help him out and develop his game.

Ranger needs to be loaned out, Ameobi and Best need selling. Loven can stay on simply down to his personality, though if we got any kind of cash offer i'd sell him as well.

I think were all 80-90% in the same boat about our striking options, therefore I can't see how management could be thinking any different; its just whether they are in a position to address it.

As it stands they're not good enough to score enough goals to keep us in the division. They'll do ok in some games but over the course of a 38 game season Carroll, Ameobi, Lovenkrands, Best and Ranger will struggle to get 25 goals between them.

Top and bottom of it is that unless we sign 2 strikers who can score consistently we'll come straight back down. :neutral:

I personally think that Shola is the worst player in the air (over 6') that i've ever seen, he's a fucking shambles.

Lovenkrands needs 3 opportunities to score, tends to get bullied off the ball, offside too much and rarely contributes to overall play.

Carroll looked pretty fucking awesome as a goal threat in the last 4 months of the season, I was too harsh on him. He'll make a decent premier league player, but he isn't quite the answer, yet. Then again, i won't be too pissed off with him starting next season if he can find 10+ goals.

Best and Ranger i'm not even going to bother with, they're less equipped for the premier league than Ali Dia.

pretty much spot on there. though i'm still not convinced over Carroll, simply because last season he was in a side always on top, running onto through balls, crosses and the like. next season he'll have to drop a bit deeper and play with his back to goal, which is more what he did in the first half of the season, and he looked gash even against shit defenders.

as for shola, i'd also say that his first touch is as bad as his heading. everything about the bloke is erratic, not least his fitness record. he might be awkward enough to hassle premiership defenders on his day but that's 4 or 5 times a season and a first XI striker needs to be match fit across the whole season.

I have the bad feeling that we won't be able to improve our forward line much this summer.. We desperately need some sort of creativity and movement upfront but players with those qualities aren't cheap and realistically I can't see us signing somebody who can transform our generally predictable attacking style..

Shola and Best have to go. Haven't seen much of Boyd at all but I don't think a static poacher would be the best option to partner the static Carroll.

Ronaldo, do you not think your being too harsh on Carroll at the start of the season might also be the same as your feelings towards ranger?

There wasn't much between them before Carroll really got a run then Carroll improved 10 fold. They have different strengths and attributes, where Carroll is developing into a beast who at times is fucking magic in the air Ranger to me looks a lot more intelligent and will be the more creative of the two.

It's far too early to expect anything from ranger next season, he needs a loan where he will get a proper run of games but it's far, far too early to right him off. Like it was Carroll at the start of the season.

I reckon that if Barton, Guthrie and Nolan chip in with goals from midfield then we could (at a push) stay up with Carroll-Lovenkrands up front.

I think it's a myth that you need a 'proven goalscorer' to stay up.  Look at last season:

Stoke top scorer: 5

Fulham top scorer: 8

West Ham top scorer: 10

Wigan top scorer: 10

Wolves top scorer: 9

Bolton top scorer: 8

Blackburn top scorer: 9

Carroll looked like an absolute lump for the first few months of the season but gradually improved and benefitted from regular games and supply from Xmas onwards. He's 5 times the player now as he was just 12 months ago but will still struggle next year. He's got the aggression and the attitude but the better defenders will cope with him and those pinning their hopes on him to score the goals to keep us up might be in for a bit of a shock.  :undecided:

Hope I'm wrong obviously.

Do you actually disagree that he's next to useless being in a Premier league squad next season? As things stand he's a League One player. Which is exactly where he needs to be.

I disagree, as long that he's not fucking around. Ranger seems good at holding up the ball and uses his strength well for a young lad. He may prove to be a useful option.

I don't disagree, I actually said the same. You just seem to really not rate him at all, fairly similar to your dislike of Carroll early last season.

Me?  :yikes:

I'm a massive Carroll fan.  Been talking him up since August.

I don't disagree, I actually said the same. You just seem to really not rate him at all, fairly similar to your dislike of Carroll early last season.

I think Ranger could be a good prospect. But you don't fight with Heavyweights if you're 11 stone, Ranger belongs in the lower leagues right now, if he's good enough he'll show it. Fraser Forster is a good example of this.

I reckon Ranger has the potential to make it at the top but his attitude seems a bit dodgy (if reports are to be believed.

Hopefully he'll run riot with Clarkie's Huddersfield next season.  :snod:

I do agree with Ronaldo's assesment of the strikers though.

Everyone should.

No they shouldn't, everyone is entitled to their own opinion even if in your eyes that opinion is wrong.