Spain win World Cup 2010

ElDiablo
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I feel completely 100% English (and I am). Grown up in England, speak English, went to school in England etc. Totally English. But if somebody told me I was born in another country and lived there for a year, that wouldn't change a thing because I still feel completely English.

So in that respect, I don't have a problem with what Germany are doing. Its the Algeria squad that are in the wrong.....BBC said 17 (i think) of their squad were born in France and several of those had only stepped foot in Algeria earlier this year.

Didn't know that. That is completey across the line IMO.

Podolski is in no way Polish.

Making him play for Poland because he was born there is mental - I'm pretty sure he can't even speak Polish. And the whole 'blood' theory is even more archaic, what the fuck is 'blood' man?

John Barnes was born in Jamaica too.

Shouldn't have qualifyied for Eng IMO. You Germany will continue to take the piss with this cause they have very fluid borders.

Surely the rules are at fault rather than than ze Germans for exploiting them?

Midds...Middy...Midder...Ze Germans are ALWAYS  at fault.  :shifty:

Aye, for World Wars but not for footbaal.

Making him play for Poland because he was born there is mental - I'm pretty sure he can't even speak Polish. And the whole 'blood' theory is even more archaic, what the fuck is 'blood' man?

It stinks of racism and being afraid of change. It's like I would be going "Mohammed Abdellaoue doesn't have a Norwegian name, he can't represent Norway even though he's Norwegian! :frantic:" when talking about the Norwegian team.

Forwards: There are six forwards that will possibly be in uniform come June 13 when Germany takes on Australia. How many of these forwards are German born though? The answer is 3. That means that fifty-percent of the German front line goal scorers are not born in the country. Miroslav Klose and Lukas Podolski are both born in Poland and Cacau is Brazilian born.

Midfielders: There are also six midfielders that most definitely be dawning the black, red and yellow come tournament time. The problem is that the birth places of the middle six do not represent theses colors. Like many other German Nationals, Piotr Trochowski was born in Poland and Marko Marin is a product of Yugoslavia.

Defenders: Out of 8 defenders in the current line-up, all but one is German born. The loner is Andreas Beck, a 23 year old footballer that hails from the Soviet Union."

IMO a bit of rule bending going on, but what do you expect from ze Germans?  :shifty:

I don't really give a shit where people are born, if they've spent almost all their life, or most of their life, in a country other than the one they happened to be born in, they should be able to represent that country because that's where  they're from, even if they were born somewhere else.

(Though I do only think this should apply until you reach a certain age, like you have to have settled in a country before you were 8 or 10 or something to be able to represent their football team. I don't like the country swapping going on when people have just lived in a country for five years as an adult.)

Yeah but your from one of those non-countries so you can never understand. I personally would stick to a birth rule.

Man, one of the best things the Greens managed to get through while they were in coalition was to change the German citizenship law so it was finally no longer based on "blood".

I don't think Germany should be allowed to recruit promising kids from Poland, Czech, Russia etc. Which if they really wanted to push it they could the way the rules are now.

They've been living in Germany since before they became footballers, that's doesn't seem to me like "recruiting". They feel German, they are German, of course they should represent Germany.

We should have had Giggs in that case and now Bale and why not those who have played in the Pl for 10 years cause they qualify as well.....You see it starts to make a mockery.

It stinks of racism and being afraid of change. It's like I would be going "Mohammed Abdellaoue doesn't have a Norwegian name, he can't represent Norway even though he's Norwegian! :frantic:" when talking about the Norwegian team.

Let's face it making anybody play for Poland is mental.

I feel completely 100% English (and I am). Grown up in England, speak English, went to school in England etc. Totally English. But if somebody told me I was born in another country and lived there for a year, that wouldn't change a thing because I still feel completely English.

So in that respect, I don't have a problem with what Germany are doing. Its the Algeria squad that are in the wrong.....BBC said 17 (i think) of their squad were born in France and several of those had only stepped foot in Algeria earlier this year.

Didn't know that. That is completey across the line IMO.

Exactly, and that is where I agree with you entirely. Recruiting whether it's based on citizenship or parentage when the players are full professionals is just obscene, and ruins international football.

However drawing the line on birth without even such as a thought to the person's upbringing or cultural ties is unfair - there is no solid black and white with this unfortunately so drawing the line to specific rules is gonna cause problems.

How many of France's 98 & 2000 winning teams had foreign born players though? Ireland has been mentioned, Italy has had a few over time as well.

Hence the rules should be simple and clear. Born in...

Forwards: There are six forwards that will possibly be in uniform come June 13 when Germany takes on Australia. How many of these forwards are German born though? The answer is 3. That means that fifty-percent of the German front line goal scorers are not born in the country. Miroslav Klose and Lukas Podolski are both born in Poland and Cacau is Brazilian born.

Midfielders: There are also six midfielders that most definitely be dawning the black, red and yellow come tournament time. The problem is that the birth places of the middle six do not represent theses colors. Like many other German Nationals, Piotr Trochowski was born in Poland and Marko Marin is a product of Yugoslavia.

Defenders: Out of 8 defenders in the current line-up, all but one is German born. The loner is Andreas Beck, a 23 year old footballer that hails from the Soviet Union."

IMO a bit of rule bending going on, but what do you expect from ze Germans?  :shifty:

I don't really give a shit where people are born, if they've spent almost all their life, or most of their life, in a country other than the one they happened to be born in, they should be able to represent that country because that's where  they're from, even if they were born somewhere else.

(Though I do only think this should apply until you reach a certain age, like you have to have settled in a country before you were 8 or 10 or something to be able to represent their football team. I don't like the country swapping going on when people have just lived in a country for five years as an adult.)

Yeah but your from one of those non-countries so you can never understand. I personally would stick to a birth rule.

Man, one of the best things the Greens managed to get through while they were in coalition was to change the German citizenship law so it was finally no longer based on "blood".

I don't think Germany should be allowed to recruit promising kids from Poland, Czech, Russia etc. Which if they really wanted to push it they could the way the rules are now.

They've been living in Germany since before they became footballers, that's doesn't seem to me like "recruiting". They feel German, they are German, of course they should represent Germany.

We should have had Giggs in that case and now Bale and why not those who have played in the Pl for 10 years cause they qualify as well.....You see it starts to make a mockery.

Because that's different. I can't believe you don't see where having lived in a country your entire life, but not having been born there, is different to having moved to a country as an adult and then changing your nationality after five years, the latter I too am not for.

How many of France's 98 & 2000 winning teams had foreign born players though? Ireland has been mentioned, Italy has had a few over time as well.

The 1998 squad had 1, Marcel Desailly.

EDIT: Sorry, 2, Vieira was born in Senegal.

Because that's different. I can't believe you don't see where having lived in a country your entire life, but not having been born there, is different to having moved to a country as an adult and then changing your nationality after five years, the latter I too am not for.

I'm thinking of the sport not winning votes for New Labour etc...

It's an archaic and outdated way of thinking that you're bound by blood to a nation you may very well only have been in a few days, rather than getting to represent the country you've lived in your whole life, loved, and paid your taxes to.

So, there is the other angle of the Dutch and French players born in former colonies....They should be made to play for the colony if they were born there, it makes if fairer and smaller nations become more competitive.

Birthplace and immediate heritage is good for me,it just seems certain nations are taking advantage of the current situation.Cacau shouldn't be eligible because he chose to play for them by carrying out some residual period.However his dive was very Klinsmannesque.

So, there is the other angle of the Dutch and French players born in former colonies....They should be made to play for the colony if they were born there, it makes if fairer and smaller nations become more competitive.

Aye but at the time Guadeloupe and New Caledonia weren't allowed into FIFA, being technically regions of a country rather than seperate nations alltogether.

It's an archaic and outdated way of thinking that you're bound by blood to a nation you may very well only have been in a few days, rather than getting to represent the country you've lived in your whole life, loved, and paid your taxes to.

Nothing to do with blood is it. The rules need simplifying to stop the continuous and neverending slight advantages the bigger nations have, whether it is money, talent drain or facilities. I'm thinking of the smaller nations that habitually lose players or have players that want to qualify for a bigger nation if at all possible.

It's not fair on the players though, who very well may feel nothing at all for the place they were born.

I believe Giggs had the choice.

Yeah but most of those Algerians born in france will likely have two Algerian parents who only moved to France later in their lives. They have all likely been raised at home in a completely Algerian culture.

Aye but at the time Guadeloupe and New Caledonia weren't allowed into FIFA, being technically regions of a country rather than seperate nations alltogether.

Didn't know that but anyway if you give the Germans an inch.....

If I was a footballer, and happened to have been born in Sweden and my parents would have stayed there for a few weeks after the birth before going back to Norway, and I'd then proceed to live my entire life in Norway... I'd never represent Sweden if offered, even if I could never play for Norway because of the way Parky wants football to be. It's an idiotic viewpoint.

If I was a footballer, and happened to have been born in Sweden and my parents would have stayed there for a few weeks after the birth before going back to Norway, and I'd then proceed to live my entire life in Norway... I'd never represent Sweden if offered, even if I could never play for Norway because of the way Parky wants football to be. It's an idiotic viewpoint.

If your folks were Swedes?

Yeah but most of those Algerians born in france will likely have two Algerian parents who only moved to France later in their lives. They have all likely been raised at home in a completely Algerian culture.

Good point.

Good point. That is what I'm trying to work out myself, should football represent a cultural precedent or a phisical precedent ie where you are born.  I for one would like to see stronger African teams and the abiltiy of those federations to keep players interested to play for African sides.

Surprised you hadn't heard of Badstuber if you've heard of Muller. Badstuber played for Bayern in nearly all of the CL games.

Ozil is a class act.

Surprised he hasn''t heard of all of them because he play Football Manager.