Spain win World Cup 2010

ElDiablo
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When you're playing a team who's ambition is to get a 0-0 draw you have to play as wide as possible and increase the tempo, basically.

It does pose a huge risk in terms of opening yourself up to the counter-attack but generally having better players with more belief would see you win games. Even we managed it when Keegan came back for a spell, get the full-backs to hug the lines and bomb forward, sit a midfielder in front of the central defenders as protection and get at teams, because you know your players are better.

Might be too much of an ask to expect this in a must-win game at a World Cup Finals, though, but a little bit more adventure wouldn't go amiss. Get the shackles off.

Cappello showed last night he's not good enough for the job. He took a questionable team to the world cup to play in one of the easiest groups for a long time and failed miserably, an uninspiring starting XI x2, and couldn't make the right sub if it bit him on the arse.  Even if we scrape a win and get through it will be undeserved, and we will more than likely get humped off any half decent team and that will end this miserable world cup.

The players will no doubt come out today defending themselves, saying we have a right to moan etc...but we must stick together not the managers fault, usual crap, but truth is none of them fukers on the pitch last night deserve our support again and should tender their resignation from the squad immediately allowing players who actually give a shit a chance . I've never seen such a non-english display of football in my life. Were generally not good technically and lack the spark of the better teams, but we usually play with heart, passion and commitment, and i've not seen any of that so far and in the two games we've played there is less and less of it. If form follows our next game we will be wheeling out coffins with the players in, they lack that much effort and desire.

If Cappello plays Heskey in the next game, or pairs Lampard and Gerrard and or doesn't play Joe Cole he should be sacked before kick off and let Stuart Pearce take over, because the old Italian bastard will never learn or understand  WTF he's doing. Two year contract extension FFS, that's how stupid our FA is.

Capello is one of the best managers in the world, the problem lies with the players, they seem to be in some kind of coccon where if they aren't humping the likes of Burnley or Wigan (helped by a team of costly foreign players), they don't really seem to know how to make things happen.

it lies 75% players, 25% manager, capello's tactics are just sooo italian, try to contain the opposition and hope we nick a goal, it's rubbish and i won't buy into the fact he's untouchable! he picks the team, and the blame ultimely lies with him

Not much he can do if half the side seem to have no first touch or ability to shoot or keep the ball for more than two passes.

Shooting and passing is down to tactics though, they contained us well and closed down, something needs to be done to break that. He couldn't think of anything, swapping Lennon for SWP isn't going to change things, its more of the same. Face it, the guy isn't getting it right.

If the wings are blocked then the team has to play through the middle, but English players don't really have the technique or nous to play cleverly through the middle.

Nobody has mentioned the left as far as I can see yet. How the fuck can you be expected to play through the middle when you don't have two wingers and/or fullbacks pulling the Algerian defence as far wide as possible? And while Gerrard is roaming about clogging up the space that Lampard and Rooney should be using? Ashley Cole is a very, very good attacking left-back. He couldn't do a fucking thing yesterday because he never had anything in front of him.

Our fullbacks are two of our best bets for creating something and offering an outlet with pace and direct running, while Barry holds in front of the two central defenders, but Cole in particular has been totally neutered by the formation.

The left is the problem, again. He's either going to have to grow some stones and drop Lampard for Joe Cole (I like Lamps, but there's no way Gerrard will be dropped), to stick with his 4-4-2, or he's going to have to push Gerrard up behind Rooney and bring Cole in for Heskey to go to the vogue (and often effective) 4-1-4-1/4-2-3-1/4-5-1 system that looks our best bet on paper.

We have no penetration on either flank, in reality, but if the left is built-up with a partnership then it should allow the right a lot more space to work with (as we saw at Newcastle when Routledge arrived).

Adam Johnson should definitely be there, as well. I could have even stomached Downing to have a left-footer as an option.

EDIT: Just saw Ozzie mention it directly before me.

Great post, I've said a couple of times that I'd have taken Downing if he didn't like the look of Johnson. Still bemuses me why Ashley Young is totally out in the cold too. Capello obviously doesn't fancy him as an "international player", much like Darren Bent, but if Shaun Wright Phillips is an international player then I'm a monkey's uncle.

So many options we could have gone with for this squad, it fucking pisses me off what is over there. I think Agbonlahor's a poor finisher but he's lightning quick and is another option for a different type of gameplan. These are the types of players you need to fill a squad imo, not the likes of James Milner who might be a good player week-in, week-out but is never going to come on and change a game for England or frighten the opposition.

Compare and contrast...

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/8756/captureyi.jpg

Same every two years "We're gonna piss it, best team for decades, great manager, honorary Englishman, Three Lions, Roonaldo, passion, drive...."

Two games later

"We're shit, manager is a turnip/wally/cunt/foreign cunt, hang your heads, we're never going to win again"

Aye, nothing will change and we'll be here again in a couple of years time for the Euros.

Things I found wrong with the performance.

1) Heskey is a liability. While he may not have been the worst on the pitch he totally limits our play. With Rooney constantly coming deep to get the ball we have zero goal threat because of his utterly awful finishing, composure and awareness.

2) Glen Johnson was way off the pace. He was getting burned by their left sided players every minute.

3) Gerrard is floating in and clogging up the area that Lampard should be pushing forward in. Lampard, being a bit of a smarter player, sees this and holds back. We need a winger on both sides if we are going to play 4-4-2. Joe Cole for me on the left.

4) Bring off Aaron Lennon? He is terrifying when he gets going whereas SWP just isn't.

5) Our defence is far too slow. This shouldn't matter against Slovenia mind. Our fullbacks will have alot of work to do though.

6) Ashley Cole was decent, but we need to get him further forward... not sure how.

7) Other than Defoe we don't have anything exciting to come off the bench. As others have said Agbonlahor, Walcott, Young among others are great because pace is a good way to liven up the game and force the other team into mistakes.

Utterly wank performance. Unfortunately, unless he plays Gerrard behind Rooney, he is going to need to drop Lampard or Gerrard. It won't be Gerrard because he is captain so would have to be Lampard (who is probably my favourite player btw).

One of the most depressing things last night was the feeling that, bar maybe Joe Cole, we had absolutely nothing special to bring on and make any difference -- no surprise substitution, no untested prodigy, no wily old fox. Fuck all.

One of the most depressing things last night was the feeling that, bar maybe Joe Cole, we had absolutely nothing special to bring on and make any difference -- no surprise substitution, no untested prodigy, no wily old fox. Fuck all.

And Joe Cole's had a lot of injuries and a poor season. I'd still have him in the team but you're absolutely right. The squad is unbalanced and uninspiring. If we were twenty minutes to go, needing a goal, throwing two or three of Ashley Young, Gabby Agbonlahor, Darren Bent or Adam Johnson on, it would get us going, scare the opposition back four, force them to sit deeper. A triple substitution of Milner, Carrick and SWP isn't going to frighten anybody.

One of the most depressing things last night was the feeling that, bar maybe Joe Cole, we had absolutely nothing special to bring on and make any difference -- no surprise substitution, no untested prodigy, no wily old fox. f*** all.

That is only through Capello's choice.

I don't particularly rate either Walcott or Agbonlahor but they are useful players to bring off the bench purely due to their pace which can stretch a game.

Likewise, Adam Johnson's direct style and ability to whip a cross in would have made a much bigger impact than anything SWP (who has been shit since he signed for Chelsea years ago) can offer.

I've been saying since Capello took the job that his squad selections are awful.

Not a clue why Joe Cole hasn't had any time on the pitch. I mean obviously he's not going to be the silver bullet but why take him if you're not going to play him? Why make him play the full 90mins against that pub team?

He's one of the very few players we have with that touch of class about him, with genuine ability and technique. Get him on the field for fuck's sake.

One of the most depressing things last night was the feeling that, bar maybe Joe Cole, we had absolutely nothing special to bring on and make any difference -- no surprise substitution, no untested prodigy, no wily old fox. f*** all.

That is only through Capello's choice.

I don't particularly rate either Walcott or Agbonlahor but they are useful players to bring off the bench purely due to their pace which can stretch a game.

Likewise, Adam Johnson's direct style and ability to whip a cross in would have made a much bigger impact than anything SWP (who has been shit since he signed for Chelsea years ago) can offer.

I've been saying since Capello took the job that his squad selections are awful.

Agree with all of that.

Which of these best describes your reaction to France almost certainly going out already?

LOL - 26 (15.7%)

LMAO - 33 (19.9%)

ROFL - 38 (22.9%)

HAHAHA - 23 (13.9%)

HEEHEE - 16 (9.6%)

Disappointed - 10 (6%)

G Unit - 20 (12%)

Total Voters: 166

Guest kingdawson

Has anyone been to Japan btw? besides Cuba, that's the place i most want to visit.

Kid Icarus is there now.

Damn...lucky him. Awesome place i heard.

Even more tiresome as the "England will definitely win the World Cup, have you seen the players we've got?" is the inevitable "England's players are just not good enough" drivel.

I've seen enough Newcastle hammerings at the hands of Steven Gerrard and Wayne Rooney to know if they turn it on, on the day there are very few sides who would be able to stop them. Getting it out of them is another matter and something the manager has to take responsibility for.

The funniest thing is how after England games everybody becomes a tactical expert.  Not directed that at you, just posters in general.

Even more tiresome as the "England will definitely win the World Cup, have you seen the players we've got?" is the inevitable "England's players are just not good enough" drivel.

I've seen enough Newcastle hammerings at the hands of Steven Gerrard and Wayne Rooney to know if they turn it on, on the day there are very few sides who would be able to stop them. Getting it out of them is another matter and something the manager has to take responsibility for.

The funniest thing is how after England games everybody becomes a tactical expert.  Not directed that at you, just posters in general.

I'm a tactical expert 24/7, but only get the urge to share my gift with people after particularly horrific tactical displays from managers who should know better.

:kinnear: