Vuvuzela

Thespence

South Africa is hosting the world - in my eyes, a good host has empathy for their guests.

It is also interesting that the media all over the world is tuning in to this issue with "almost" universal condemnation. The casual coverage is bemoaning the traditional atmosphere that adds to the excitement of the match. Soccer/football is on of the few spectator sports that is enhanced by the crowds participation. The oohs and ahhs during particular passages of play are drowned out making this a passive viewer experience and the game is suffering for it.

The hardcore media over here is also condemning them as they want the excitement of the game to draw more people and make the game more popular.

When people are actually taking a pass on watching - this World Cup is being drowned out by the vulvazela.

Too right. You don't invite a load of vegetarians around for dinner and then serve up steak tartar while showing 'em the photos from that bullfight you went to.

That analogy isn't fit to describe the situation.

The proper analogy is: You're invited to dinner at a foreign friend's place. You both like steak, but since his wife is cooking, she'll be pouring a 'special' sauce on the meat made using her own recipe, and you'll act like a nice, polite guess and eat the steak, even if you think the sauce is shit and the steak's less tasty because of it.

Then you go home and complain to your own wife that the sauce was shit and that you'd have preferred it if they just served fish and chips.

Honestly, STFU. I've enjoyed the games even with the terrible buzzing sound. The only issue that I see is that the players need to communicate and it shouldn't get in the way of the actual game. But to say it has "ruined the world cup for me, that's it, I'm done" is retarded and akin to throwing your toys out of the pram. How old are some of you lot? F*ks sake, it's the bleedin' World Cup, I've enjoyed it for what it's worth. Not the best in many a year, but a spectacle nonetheless. And I'm not attributing the poor showing to the bloody vuvuzelas alone, as some people seem to cling to.

South Africa is hosting the world - in my eyes, a good host has empathy for their guests.

It is also interesting that the media all over the world is tuning in to this issue with "almost" universal condemnation. The casual coverage is bemoaning the traditional atmosphere that adds to the excitement of the match. Soccer/football is on of the few spectator sports that is enhanced by the crowds participation. The oohs and ahhs during particular passages of play are drowned out making this a passive viewer experience and the game is suffering for it.

The hardcore media over here is also condemning them as they want the excitement of the game to draw more people and make the game more popular.

When people are actually taking a pass on watching - this World Cup is being drowned out by the vulvazela.

Too right. You don't invite a load of vegetarians around for dinner and then serve up steak tartar while showing 'em the photos from that bullfight you went to.

That analogy isn't fit to describe the situation.

The proper analogy is: You're invited to dinner at a foreign friend's place. You both like steak, but since his wife is cooking, she'll be pouring a 'special' sauce on the meat made using her own recipe, and you'll act like a nice, polite guess and eat the steak, even if you think the sauce is shit and the steak's less tasty because of it.

Then you go home and complain to your own wife that the sauce was shit and that you'd have preferred it if they just served fish and chips.

That's what we're doing now, isn't it?

Anyway, I think I've got it.

If you invite someone to the theatre, right, you don't sit there munching popcorn and nachos, and slurping Coke so loudly that they can't hear a fucking word the actors say. Unless BRIAN BLESSED is in it, of course. You could take a pneumatic drill along and still hear him.

Or you're invited to dinner at a friend's place and there was this twat you didn't know at the table who was blowing a fucking vuvuzela all evening.

:D

Honestly, STFU. I've enjoyed the games even with the terrible buzzing sound. The only issue that I see is that the players need to communicate and it shouldn't get in the way of the actual game. But to say it has "ruined the world cup for me, that's it, I'm done" is retarded and akin to throwing your toys out of the pram. How old are some of you lot? F*ks sake, it's the bleedin' World Cup, I've enjoyed it for what it's worth. Not the best in many a year, but a spectacle nonetheless. And I'm not attributing the poor showing to the bloody vuvuzelas alone, as some people seem to cling to.

Totally agree with this.  I find the now familiar drone part of the whole thing and part of having a world cup in Africa.  The world cup isn't at Wembley, or a field in Hertfordshire, or SJP, it's in Africa and you either take the whole thing or leave it.  I can't remember '78 but did everyone moan on like this with all the tickertape ?

As for claiming it's made the world cup a bad one - we've only had only had 5 days of it for God's sake .  We're still in the first games in the first round there isn't any tension or must win games for anyone yet, so it's absurd to compare it to past world cups already.  And how anyone can think that the sound the crowd makes has influenced the tactics of all of the teams to score less goals, well I have my doubts..

f***ing idiots with no respect blowing them during the national anthems.

We boo the opposition national anthems, I'd rather hear a buzzing sound than booing.

It's not even the opposition.

Maybe at the 2018 World Cup if we do get it we should bring back the old fashioned rattles and just get a few hundred people dotted around the ground to rattle them non-stop and let the rest of the world fuck themselves because it's our tradition.

Maybe at the 2018 World Cup if we do get it we should bring back the old fashioned rattles and just get a few hundred people dotted around the ground to rattle them non-stop and let the rest of the world fuck themselves because it's our tradition.

Nah. Let's beat the shit out of everyone. After all, it's what English fans are best known for.

Nah. Let's beat the shit out of everyone. After all, it's what English fans are best known for.

It's your culture, and it's your world cup so you should get to do what you want. :pow:

Couldn't the broadcasters just put a high pass filter on the audio signal from the games. The shit horns are a very low frequency less than 350Hz as far as I know, couldn't they just scoop out the frequencies below this? I know this would take away some of the "realness" of the crowd but it would get rid of those stupid things.

What I find the most flabbergasting is that it's proven they're a threat to the health and wellbeing of the people present at the stadiums, and FIFA still won't ban them knowing that the ones without ear protection will most likely get their hearing ruined.

South African producers have given in to the pressure and will now attempt to lower the Vuvuzela sounds in their transmissions, but this will also effect the sound of the crowd.

What crowd sound? ???

Guest GeordieAce

What I find the most flabbergasting is that it's proven they're a threat to the health and wellbeing of the people present at the stadiums, and FIFA still won't ban them knowing that the ones without ear protection will most likely get their hearing ruined.

They are too shit scared incase someone pulls out the racism card or how the African people are still being oppressed. End of the day they are fucking annoying and I cant comprehend why someone would pay all that money to see a worldcup game and then blow on a plastic horn for 90 mins :lol:

Couldn't the broadcasters just put a high pass filter on the audio signal from the games. The shit horns are a very low frequency less than 350Hz as far as I know, couldn't they just scoop out the frequencies below this? I know this would take away some of the "realness" of the crowd but it would get rid of those stupid things.

There's instructions here on how to buy+download or create an mp3 that cancels out the vuvuzelas.

They are too shit scared incase someone pulls out the racism card or how the African people are still being oppressed. End of the day they are fucking annoying and I cant comprehend why someone would pay all that money to see a worldcup game and then blow on a plastic horn for 90 mins :lol:

It's not oppression if you're behaving like a twat. Of course, it might be depending on who gets to define what behaving like a twat is.

In this case, there don't seem to be many who don't think blowing a vuvuzela constantly for 90-odd minutes doesn't count as twattish.

Guest icemanblue

Hardly noticed them during the Brazil match last night. They seem to be becoming more sporadic throughout the match, rather than the constant drone.

Hardly noticed them during the Brazil match last night. They seem to be becoming more sporadic throughout the match, rather than the constant drone.

The South African producers have decreased the sound of the "crowd", thus also decreasing the sound of the Vuvuzela making it a little more bearable.

Guest icemanblue

The South African producers have decreased the sound of the "crowd", thus also decreasing the sound of the Vuvuzela making it a little more bearable.

:lol: Fuck off, man. When they were going, they were as loud as they've always been.

:lol: Fuck off, man. When they were going, they were as loud as they've always been.

They have though, it's all over the news. :lol:

Guest icemanblue

They have though, it's all over the news. :lol:

Ok, I'll believe you when you show me a conclusive article that states these measures were in place for the match last night.