Should England fail to qualify from the group?

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Redknapp's the man imo, but he's such a rotten individual i'm not sure if i'd be able to stomach it.

Can't believe we're actually discussing this btw. This was the first time i've ever had confidence in an England manager (Hoddle was the first for me) - mental how it's all going tits up.

Your team hasn't had an ounce of respect for their opponents in this tournament. They thought they wouldn't have to work to qualify, and they're paying for it. If they manage to get their heads out of their asses for the last game, maybe you'll get through.

Only one trying is Heskey, he just doesn't have enough.

I could see this going tits up under Capello since  he was hired tbh. He's a class club manager, and is a great tactician, but he can't motivate players for shit just tell how to approach a game down to the great details for how to win it. But International management is so much about motivating your players, as you can see in the "lesser" nations playing with their hearts on their sleeve to do well. England just look like they want to go on holiday.

This will be a shit example since Norway obviously isn't a great footballing nation, but it will illustrate what I mean about motivation. During the 90s when we were actually good we had a manager that was both a great tactician and a great motivator, and we played some good stuff. Then we went to a half-decent tactician and a boring manager, and started fluttering even with better players (on paper) than during the 90s. And then we went to a great tactician, but a shit shit motivator, and we played our worst football in decades as the players just didn't believe in themselves. Now, we are back to Drillo, and we're starting to do well again and playing good football, and the players look like they want to play for Norway, not just look like they've been selected and can't say no. The players have said it as well, there's a whole new glow during their training sessions and they believe they play great football and beat "better" footballing nations if they follow Drillo's tactics.

You need a great motivator and a great tactician in one person, which is exactly what Hodgson is, and what Sir Bobby was.

Hodgson would be good too, but Harry would be better imo. No one would be able to relate to these set of players better than Harry Redknapp I feel.

Being a massive c*** as well, you mean?  O0

:lol:

Sort of, yes. It's the one job he would definitely leave Tottenham for too, and how sweet that would be!

Now, if you had Capello as your manager, I'd actually think you'd be capable to win something with your current players.

:undecided:

Capello's proven what I always thought, that he's not an International manager. Just a great club manager.

I also don't think Mourinho would cut it managing a national side, no matter how good he is on club level.

I could see this going tits up under Capello since  he was hired tbh. He's a class club manager, and is a great tactician, but he can't motivate players for shit just tell how to approach a game down to the great details for how to win it. But International management is so much about motivating your players, as you can see in the "lesser" nations playing with their hearts on their sleeve to do well. England just look like they want to go on holiday.

This will be a shit example since Norway obviously isn't a great footballing nation, but it will illustrate what I mean about motivation. During the 90s when we were actually good we had a manager that was both a great tactician and a great motivator, and we played some good stuff. Then we went to a half-decent tactician and a boring manager, and started fluttering even with better players (on paper) than during the 90s. And then we went to a great tactician, but a shit shit motivator, and we played our worst football in decades as the players just didn't believe in themselves. Now, we are back to Drillo, and we're starting to do well again and playing good football, and the players look like they want to play for Norway, not just look like they've been selected and can't say no. The players have said it as well, there's a whole new glow during their training sessions and they believe they play great football and beat "better" footballing nations if they follow Drillo's tactics.

You need a great motivator and a great tactician in one person, which is exactly what Hodgson is, and what Sir Bobby was.

Intersting post. But should Eng players really need motivating at a WC?

They need a reality check more than motivation. Someone that will tell them they actually have to work if they want to win.

They need a reality check more than motivation. Someone that will tell them they actually have to work if they want to win.

:nods:

I could see this going tits up under Capello since  he was hired tbh. He's a class club manager, and is a great tactician, but he can't motivate players for s*** just tell how to approach a game down to the great details for how to win it. But International management is so much about motivating your players, as you can see in the "lesser" nations playing with their hearts on their sleeve to do well. England just look like they want to go on holiday.

This will be a s*** example since Norway obviously isn't a great footballing nation, but it will illustrate what I mean about motivation. During the 90s when we were actually good we had a manager that was both a great tactician and a great motivator, and we played some good stuff. Then we went to a half-decent tactician and a boring manager, and started fluttering even with better players (on paper) than during the 90s. And then we went to a great tactician, but a s*** s*** motivator, and we played our worst football in decades as the players just didn't believe in themselves. Now, we are back to Drillo, and we're starting to do well again and playing good football, and the players look like they want to play for Norway, not just look like they've been selected and can't say no. The players have said it as well, there's a whole new glow during their training sessions and they believe they play great football and beat "better" footballing nations if they follow Drillo's tactics.

:nods:

Spot on :thup:

Not really, no. But your current generation is, as you've said, over paid and over hyped. They need a manager that first will bring them down to earth, make them ignore the media, and then start from square one to motivate the players. A manager like Hodgson wouldn't let his players make comments to the media that "even on a bad day we can beat Algeria", that kind of attitude just invites a bad performance when the players don't even think they need to try to beat someone. You just know Hodgson would knock that attitude out of the players, or drop the ones that has it.

As an example of just that, look at Bjørn Helge Riise at Fulham, he went out and said he thought he was a better choice than Duff. Didn't see the pitch for ages and got fined wages by Hodgson. During his time at Viking in Norway, he put players out of the side for cup games against shit sides when they looked like they thought they'd win by just showing up. It's been showed throughout his managerial career tbh, he makes the players believe they can beat anyone, but that they have to give it their all no matter how bad an opposition look on paper.

Beckham player-manager to prepare us for Euro 2010.  IMO, of course.

That's definitely the plan like, not player mind you, but I think he'll get it after Capello if he stays on til the Euros.  Our attempt at a van Basten or Klinsmann appointment.

Guest neesy111

Hodgon will be appointed, there will be a brief rise in fortunes before the players go back to being over paid, over hyped buffoons. Back to square one.

1. It is the players.

2. The way they grow up in English football.

3. Too much football of the wrong kind.

Get to WC, culture shock.

this is totally spot on

I've little faith in Hodgson dropping big names.  If only cause he's not big enough himself. 

Hodgson is ruthless, man. He looks like a big cuddly bear, but he doesn't take shit from any of his players.

"There are three categories of players. The first one are top class. You admire them. They will win you trophies. In the middle you find normal players. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. In the last category you find players you really dislike. They are shit and don't give you anything. And you Bjørn Berland, you are in the last category."

Bjørn Berland was released straight after that, one of the most loved players at Viking by the fans as well having played eight years for them.

Obviously not the greatest comparison since he's well bigger than Norwegian clubs/players, but I can't imagine he's any different today, especially after how he put Riise completely out of the team for weeks after his comments about Duff, only a few weeks after buying him for £2.5m

That's definitely the plan like, not player mind you, but I think he'll get it after Capello if he stays on til the Euros.  Our attempt at a van Basten or Klinsmann appointment.

I don't think that's the plan at all. I honestly think that Capello expected to win the whole thing and just brought him on so he could get a medal.

Beckham as a manager...:undecided: He's got vacant doll's eyes. I can't imagine him doing anything with his brain.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Im not convinced the players respect Beckham as much as the fans do. Van Basten, Klinsmann, Maradona never had their positions questioned as a footballer the way Beckham does/did. I do not think the likes of Terry, Rooney and co would respect him enough to put his coaching inexperience to one side.

Harry Redknapp is the one for me because he understands the modern footballer. He is the modern manager, he loves his material things, he's a piss taking wide boy who the players would not want to let down. He is Keeganesque in the way he builds players up, but tactically far more astute.

If the FA have got any bollocks they will put the investigation stuff to one side and appoint him

(Should we not qualify from the group stages :))

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Beckham England manager???!!! My goodness.

:lol: Yeah, wait. What the fuck is wrong with me.

Beckham 2012! He...looks good in a suit!

Im not convinced the players respect Beckham as much as the fans do. Van Basten, Klinsmann, Maradona never had their positions questioned as a footballer the way Beckham does/did. I do not think the likes of Terry, Rooney and co would respect him enough to put his coaching inexperience to one side.

Harry Redknapp is the one for me because he understands the modern footballer. He is the modern manager, he loves his material things, he's a piss taking wide boy who the players would not want to let down. He is Keeganesque in the way he builds players up, but tactically far more astute.

If the FA have got any bollocks they will put the investigation stuff to one side and appoint him

(Should we not qualify from the group stages :))

Precisely. Redknapp is the one, but they will never have the guts to do it.

:lol:

Redknapp's the man imo, but he's such a rotten individual i'm not sure if i'd be able to stomach it.

Can't believe we're actually discussing this btw. This was the first time i've ever had confidence in an England manager (Hoddle was the first for me) - mental how it's all going tits up.

Your team hasn't had an ounce of respect for their opponents in this tournament. They thought they wouldn't have to work to qualify, and they're paying for it. If they manage to get their heads out of their asses for the last game, maybe you'll get through.

Only one trying is Heskey, he just doesn't have enough.

Agree entirely. I've said from day one we'll pay the penalty for getting an easy draw.

Does anybody resign or get sacked anymore? Its always mutual consent.....its the new trend, along with undisclosed transfer fees.

Obviously he'd have to go, which is a shame because I think he's the best coach in this tournament. But if you can't get out of THIS group, this easy group, then you have to go. I honestly couldn't believe my eyes last night, it was totally humiliating. Algeria ffs

Not trying to apply logic here!  Just reckon that's what'll end out happening.