John Terry reinstated as England captain

Parky

• 7 months later...

Going to get the England captaincy back for the Wales game apparently.

All Wales need to do is lob one over his head. He has been stable but prone to moments of panicks and misjudgements which unsurprisingly for a defender usually costs goals. How anyone can describe him as "one of the best defeders in the last 6 years is beyond me". He is not even the best defender in Chelsea in the last 6 years, Both Carvalho and Cole was & is better than him and as for now, it's possible that Luiz will be Chelsea's backbone.

All Wales need to do is lob one over his head. He has been stable but prone to moments of panicks and misjudgements which unsurprisingly for a defender usually costs goals. How anyone can describe him as "one of the best defeders in the last 6 years is beyond me". He is not even the best defender in Chelsea in the last 6 years, Both Carvalho and Cole was & is better than him and as for now, it's possible that Luiz will be Chelsea's backbone.

What a load of guff. :lol:

What a load of guff. :lol:

nice attempt of a response, just admit that you don't know how to defend the nonsense you posted  :lol:

Terry's been magnificent for club (and generally country) for almost a decade. He's an arsehole, but one hell of a defender and one hell of a captain. Bet you couldn't even begin to name 10 genuinely better CBs over the last 6 years.

He has been generally solid but far from being amongst the best in the last 6 years. As for naming defeders, not playing your numbers game, but I just named 2 defenders better than him and that's just in Chelsea, or did you missed that part (conveniently igored)?

Chelsea have been for the most part the best team in arguably the world's best league for the past 6 years, like, so it's hardly a disgrace if one or two have been better. I disagree with Carvalho being better, although Cole stands up well against him. Then again, how many people truly regarded Ashley Cole to be world class in 2005? Not me, but he wasn't far off.

Rio Ferdinand, Sandro Nesta, perhaps even Puyol. I can't think of too many being better than Terry, but let's not forget that Mourinho (who you regard so highly) made Terry captain the week he got the job at Chelsea, and basically built his team around him and Lampard.

Look at Chelsea this season, best defensive record in the PL even though Terry has had about 5 different partners back there. Same last season.

Chelsea have been for the most part the best team in arguably the world's best league for the past 6 years, like, so it's hardly a disgrace if one or two have been better. I disagree with Carvalho being better, although Cole stands up well against him. Then again, how many people truly regarded Ashley Cole to be world class in 2005? Not me, but he wasn't far off.

Rio Ferdinand, Sandro Nesta, perhaps even Puyol. I can't think of too many being better than Terry, but let's not forget that Mourinho (who you regard so highly) made Terry captain the week he got the job at Chelsea, and basically built his team around him and Lampard.

Look at Chelsea this season, best defensive record in the PL even though Terry has had about 5 different partners back there. Same last season.

has there been a better protected defence than chelsea during the period you refer?  for the most part of that they've played a 3 man midfield with people like essien helping them out

chelsea, without doubt, played the least expansive football than any of their peers during this period

not to say that terry isn't a great defender but it's also the same argument people used with cech - he had that crazy run of clean sheets and lowest goals conceded etc. but he wasn't doing it behind bramble and o'brien was he?

has there been a better protected defence than chelsea during the period you refer?  for the most part of that they've played a 3 man midfield with people like essien helping them out

chelsea, without doubt, played the least expansive football than any of their peers during this period

not to say that terry isn't a great defender but it's also the same argument people used with cech - he had that crazy run of clean sheets and lowest goals conceded etc. but he wasn't doing it behind bramble and o'brien was he?

God almighty. :lol:

has there been a better protected defence than chelsea during the period you refer?  for the most part of that they've played a 3 man midfield with people like essien helping them out

God almighty. :lol:

here we go

their peers being who?  manyoo, arsenal, barca, real, bayern, liverpool (?), inter (?), milan (?)

i'll give you liverpool under benny and the two italians (not even sure they count) but are you trying to tell me chelsea played more expansive football than the others?

especially under mourinho their football was heavily focused on defence first

Under Mourinho, yes. Mourinho left 3 1/2 years ago.

They broke the PL record for goals last year. They've played plenty of expansive football since Mou's departure. They're not Mancini's City and never have been.

Under Mourinho, yes. Mourinho left 3 1/2 years ago.

They broke the PL record for goals last year. They've played plenty of expansive football since Mou's departure. They're not Mancini's City and never have been.

you were the one talking about 6 years ago, you can't just pick and choose to suit

agree about last year, much different indeed, prior to that i'm not sure there was much difference under grant/scolari or whatever personally, certainly not the grant season iirc

point still stands, they play a much tighter game than manyoo or arsenal imo (if we're talking only domestically) and will always have a good goal difference as a consequence

We'll disagree on Carvalho then, he was less physical in the "put your body in the way" sort but was a lot calmer, less prone to mistakes and was better at playing the ball out of defence.

Mourinho (and yes I think very highly of him) making him captain does not prove your claim, captains are not necessarily the best players, it's often someone that can rally the team. It made a lot more sense to make a 'local lad' a captain whose been at the club for several years than a Portugese lad that came with Mourinho, doesn't make Terry the better player though.

See we can debate without being disrespectful to differing views. 

Guest Stephen927

Should never have been stripped of it. Could see this coming as Rooney got the armband in the second half despite all his off field antics.

He's a great defender. It seems to me that people underrate English players cos of the international letdowns. If he was foreign, people wouldn't shut up about him.

Terry has never really convinced at international level, not sure why, the same is arguably true about Lampard, though the contrast is less stark with him. for chelsea in the league and in europe Terry's been a sensational player, though looked fucking awful for a while after all that stuff came out in the press .

Guest Chubby Jason

Giving it him back totally spoils any significance of stripping it from him in the first place. Rio is fucked all the time so I'd give it to Gerrard permanently.

Becoming more and more detached from the national team with each passing day. Just really struggle to give a shit who or how they play anymore.

I'm the same. Always used to care as well, even though I know many never have done. The World Cup last year was disgusting, as were the lies about rejuvenating the squad in its aftermath.

Becoming more and more detached from the national team with each passing day. Just really struggle to give a shit who or how they play anymore.

I'm the same. Always used to care as well, even though I know many never have done. The World Cup last year was disgusting, as were the lies about rejuvenating the squad in its aftermath.

Farcical. The whole episode.

Thought Capello would have a bit of backbone and stick to his guns but he's kowtowed and gone down the establishment route. Pricks, the lot of them.

:thup:

I think before the WC myself and you were one of the few on here that argued disregarding Engerrland was wrong. The last WC was the last straw for me though. Total farce and I genuinely couldn't give a fuck anymore, Carroll playing the other month perked my interest a little but whey...we all know how that's turned out.