World on alert Germans marching again!

Parky

Make no mistake. The result today was not a question of skill or tactics. The difference between England and Germany was psychological. Nobody expected England to win. That was the problem. That's why our second goal didn't stand... the linesman didn't believe we could do it. That's why we didn't score in the second half, and why were second t every ball, and why we crumbled after conceding... the players didn't believe they could do it. We don't need a tactician like Capello or Sven. We need a talisman. Where is our Maradona? Where is our Klinsmann? Where is our Dunga? These players don't just need discipline, they need belief. They need to go into every game thinking, "we're going to do this." The team needs to be lead by Shearer, or Venables, or Mr. David Beckham. We need someone that will install some belief into the side. I know, the English national pastime is cynicism. I enjoy it as much as anyone. But until we cast it off along with the ghosts of '66, and the red-top sensationalism, we're never going to get that second World cup that we all deserve.

Good post. I said elsewhere how the Germans I talk to here had absolutely no fear of us.

That is cultural.  Arrogance and confidence breeds more confidence, just as failure breeds more failure.  Example:  Low and his assistant wear coordinated purple cardigans and Don Johnson sport jackets on the bench.  I bet it never crossed his mind once that he looked like a bender.  Self-doubt and fear are thoroughly un-German. 

"The players don't care" is a nonsense. I'd rather have the clinical efficiency of the Germans than a lot of chest pounding and Steven Tayloring. It ignores the real problems in English football. If Robert Green catches the ball and we win the group then beat Ghana and go on to face Uruguay and beat them (neither are particularly great sides), do they somehow care more?

Technically we're not up to it. We must be one of the worst sides for simply keeping possession of the fucking football.

The Sun: 'Should they wear the shirt again?'

D James        NO                    J Terry            NO                        F Lampard            NO                        J Defoe              NO

G Johnson      NO                    M Upson          NO                        G Barry                  NO                      W Rooney          YES

A Cole            YES                    J Milner            NO                        S Gerrard              YES                      E Heskey            NO

J Cole                    NO                      S Wright-Phillips  NO

The Sun: 'Should they wear the shirt again?'

D James         NO                     J Terry             NO                         F Lampard            NO                        J Defoe              NO

G Johnson      NO                    M Upson           NO                        G Barry                  NO                       W Rooney          YES

A Cole            YES                    J Milner            NO                        S Gerrard              YES                       E Heskey            NO

J Cole                    NO                       S Wright-Phillips  NO

Surprised there is as many as 3 voted yes on The Sun.  :lol: Lamaprd is the biggest let down regular imo and to think a few on here claim Xavi is the only midfielder better than him in the world . Schweinsteiger totally bossed him today, can't remember the last time he really dictated a game like other players do regularly for other nations.

The players were either not doing what they were told, or Fabio hasn't give them enough instruction. The positioning, marking, anticipation were all well off leaving us exposed time and time again, while trying to get back in to the game the players thought nothing of the huge gaps left behind when charging forward all searching for glory. We need the goals, but equally we didn't need two more scored against us and that's what happened when players just decided to do whatever they felt like doing.

Who's to blame for that? Fabio seems pretty organised, even has bloody formation cards etc which are showing to the players before subs are made, i'm guessing the players knew they were opening up too much and either got lost in the game or thought we've got to do it without a lead and instruction from the bench.

That's another thing, no leadership throughout the tournament, Gerrard didn't do it as a captain and maybe at vital moments when were chasing a game a defender like Rio could have kept everyone in position while trying to search for a goal. Not sure if it was their 3rd or 4th but Terry lost the ball near their box fannying around thinking he was Ronaldo, then the counter and were left with Upson at the back and anyone who's hung on long enough to realise we've been getting counter attack to death all game.

The rushing around and desperation made things a lot worse than they should have been, and you could put the second half mistakes down to the Lampard no goal, but Germany had us 5 times in the first half with the same methods and we simply had no answer. Bottom line we made Germany look fuking amazing.

Agree with this especially the earlier part. Yesterday I was  almost in denial and ready to dismiss the counterattack goals as goals that should not have been had we been on 2-2. But ya now I agree that counterattack is part and parcel of football, happens all the time. Even if you push up high, there must be a plan on how to recover quickly. To be undone once is unlucky but twice in almost a carbon copy move shows that we have not prepared for German's speed and precision in counter attacks. Did the players even knew about these German attributes? So either Capello didn't prepare them or players ignored his instructions when pushing up to equalize, either way it is England's fault.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm at least pleased that the papers have gone for the 'you were shit!' angle, rather than the 'we were robbed!' angle,

That England shirt thing is embarrassing btw. Not just for it's existence, but the fact that going on that tournament they'd have Rooney wear the shirt again, but not Milner. That'll do his confidence the world of good.

Guest Gemmill

So much for your fucking confidence you fucking idiots.  I had  to sit and put through that with a bunch of Scots.  Easy when you're all down there with your over-inflated confidence eh?  Honestly raging.  Scots took it all in good spirit, that is, we were crap again. 

See you all with your lack of humility, I genuinely hope you learn.  We got our arse and deservedly so.  I also got my head kicked in, stole my phone, and booted me in the fucking chops.  Hope you fucking learn, cause it's real people like me on the front line cause of your unjust arrogance.  Fucking English eh? 

LET DOWN AS PREDICTED.

:lol: What a fucking drama queen.  Front line solider boy.

"The players don't care" is a nonsense. I'd rather have the clinical efficiency of the Germans than a lot of chest pounding and Steven Tayloring. It ignores the real problems in English football. If Robert Green catches the ball and we win the group then beat Ghana and go on to face Uruguay and beat them (neither are particularly great sides), do they somehow care more?

Technically we're not up to it. We must be one of the worst sides for simply keeping possession of the fucking football.

I'd take your point if not for the fact we know these players are better than that.

They didn't play up to the standard we've previously seen from them. That's not a question of technique.

Are you sure that's not a b3ta parody that snuck in there by accident?

What pissed me off, when we conceded a goal...all the players just look around but no one asks questions and tells people to do their jobs correctly next time.  They just look about as if they cant criticise each other.

WTF.

To many egos in the England team.

What pissed me off, when we conceded a goal...all the players just look around but no one asks questions and tells people to do their jobs correctly next time.  They just look about as if they cant criticise each other.

WTF.

More that they're just going "Sound, wasn't my fault, that one."

WTF.

More that they're just going "Sound, wasn't my fault, that one."

Beaten before we stepped on the pitch.

Guest kingdawson

Why the f*** didn't any of players even attempt to hack the Germans down btw? Particularly for the two goals where they hit us on the counter. Barry and/or Johnson should have accepted a booking and taken the attacker out.

I said this in my post regarding Johnson's shambolic performance...i hate him.

We live in a culture/country where unfortunately the tabloids dictate just about everything.

I remember people (who understood football) clammering for the inclusion of Gazza years before he was finally selected. He was deemed 'not experienced enough'.

Well, we can see from the German squad that most of the time natural ability will out trump experience.

The fact is, as a Londoner (originally from the Lakes, lived in Newcastle for 15 years), I can tell you that the average Londoner knows jackshit.

When you consider most of the journos who write for the shitloids are based in London and the home counties then you can discount anything they offer in the way of advice.

Fact is, Glen Johnson was Sunday League standard, Terry has always been awful, but the South-east attitude of the 'Terry Butcher thick cunt with bandages on his head' has

basically allowed this fuckin retrobate to not only wear the shirt but the armband. Rooney. Not fit. Should never had been selected - had the tabloids allowed such a thing to happen.

Murdoch you Australian cunt! Allegedly.

True story.