World on alert Germans marching again!

Parky

I don't go for the too many foreign players argument being the reason for our failure, for some reason there is a lack of desire to be the “best” in our game. I don’t know if this is to do with the money in the English game, false adulation our players get through sky, media  and the fans (for example see how some of our players are now rated after the job they did in the Championship by people on this board!) or the self importance we attach to the English game.

If we have players who really thought they were good players but could not get a game in the Premier League then why do they not move abroad instead of playing in the lower leagues?

Another example of this is our managers, I know he is not English but I really rate Moyles at Everton. In my opinion he has taken Everton as far as he can and it does not look like he will get a top four job so why does he not try to get a job for a club in another league that plays in the Champions League to test himself, to see how good he is?

YOu're completely wrong. The biggest problem we have is that English players coming up through the ranks don't get enough pitch time. There are 364 foreign players in the PL alone and if you inc the CCC its over 500!!!

Have you been getting much grief Parky?

It was much worsre yesterday, now it's a kind of wierd sympathy like the English are afflicted or sommink.

Same.  No-one at all has taken the piss out of me, today at least.  They can all see the problems, as it's pretty much the same up here anyway.

It was much worsre yesterday, now it's a kind of wierd sympathy like the English are afflicted or sommink.

Same.  No-one at all has taken the piss out of me, today at least.  They can all see the problems, as it's pretty much the same up here anyway.

Have to say I've had a few arseholes making snide comments via emails or Facebook, but nothing to my face. Majority of the Jocks are chuckling, but they also know that the national game up here is on the brink of a crisis too.

Keep getting told that we're in bigger trouble though. That the next generation of England players is likely to be even worse than this lot, which I'm afraid I can't really comment on, but that has to be wrong, doesn't it?

Same. No-one at all has taken the piss out of me, today at least. They can all see the problems, as it's pretty much the same up here anyway.

Have to say I've had a few arseholes making snide comments via emails or Facebook, but nothing to my face. Majority of the Jocks are chuckling, but they also know that the national game up here is on the brink of a crisis too.

Keep getting told that we're in bigger trouble though. That the next generation of England players is likely to be even worse than this lot, which I'm afraid I can't really comment on, but that has to be wrong, doesn't it?

On paper it doesn't look good, but I'm not all that concerned. It's the same problems we have now.

Scottish football really is on the brink of death though, at the very least, England has the success of the PL to keep the game even remotely interesting. So they're talking shit.

Guest Brummiemag

I think its largely down to the way football is coached at youth level. Ive watched under 11 to under 14 football at both the Villa acadamy and at local team level and its all about winning, power, booting the ball away from danger, not taking risks. Kids are not encouraged to express themselves.

Thats why so few England players look comfortable on the ball and even fewer can beat or even try to beat a man. (Chris Waddle summed this up perfectly the other night on Radio 5 in fact he speaks more sense then the rest of them put together)

We are years behind Holland, most of Southern Europe and South America. We can keep blaming the Manager's like we have done for the last 20 years or more but at the end of the day they can only work with meagre resources they have available.

Eastern european lads always seem to have a good touch and look comfy on the ball with pressure on them.

For me, its a basic flaw in how we produce footballers.

I think its largely down to the way football is coached at youth level. Ive watched under 11 to under 14 football at both the Villa acadamy and at local team level and its all about winning, power, booting the ball away from danger, not taking risks. Kids are not encouraged to express themselves.

Thats why so few England players look comfortable on the ball and even fewer can beat or even try to beat a man. (Chris Waddle summed this up perfectly the other night on Radio 5 in fact he speaks more sense then the rest of them put together)

We are years behind Holland, most of Southern Europe and South America. We can keep blaming the Manager's like we have done for the last 20 years or more but at the end of the day they can only work with meagre resources they have available.

That's basically it. No confidence on the ball or the ability to create (all done by foreign players at the clubs).

That's basically it. No confidence on the ball or the ability to create (all done by foreign players at the clubs).

Its bought in because this country has stopped producing or never really has produced players wil really good close control and the ability to make a pass under pressure, beat a man, whip a ball in.

What the fuck are we teaching the kids at football.

We should still kill howard wilkinson

I said it earlier, I don't buy this argument. Our group had some very average teams in there who we should have been beating, simple as that. Our failure at this world cup has got much more to do with attidude.

We didn't have many foreign players before the Premier League and our record was pretty much the same as now, indeed we didn't qualify in 1974, 1978 and 1994 when there was not that many oversea players in England.

Its bought in because this country has stopped producing or never really has produced players wil really good close control and the ability to make a pass under pressure, beat a man, whip a ball in.

What the fuck are we teaching the kids at football.

'If in doubt, kick it out' I seem to remember forming a big part of my coaching when i was a kid.

I've been actively criticised throughout my footballing life for trying creative things and not just playing the percetages all the time.

The amount of time we pass the ball to nobody in this country is ridiculous. Lumping it up the line is the most important part of the game at most levels.

Even in amateur football and friendly kickabouts, that seems to be the case. No wonder we don't produce any decent ball players.

Guest firetotheworks

I almost hate myself for bringing it up because it seems every one of my posts in some way brings up Japan. But anyway, over here pretty much all kids are trained exclusively on short sharp passing and team-work. Obviously Japan aren't the global force that England are, but I honestly think that's just due to the physicality. Playing games over here at a low level, the quality seems generally much higher than at home.

I almost hate myself for bringing it up because it seems every one of my posts in some way brings up Japan. But anyway, over here pretty much all kids are trained exclusively on short sharp passing and team-work. Obviously Japan aren't the global force that England are, but I honestly think that's just due to the physicality. Playing games over here at a low level, the quality seems generally much higher than at home.

The Japanese have fancied themselves as a "passing side" since the early ninties, and have systematically made passing the focus over all else in the development of their players. This has made them very good technically but has had very detrimental effects in other areas (ie, having 500 decent midfield distributors and not a single reliable finisher.)

Ironically enough, the success of this year's NT came only after they gave up their pretty wide-open passing and adopted a more tenacious, narrow approach to the game.

Guest malandro

What the f*** are we teaching the kids at football.

The kids are coached at their clubs and I doubt many clubs work to Charlie Hughes coaching manual. In fact I doubt the FA have much influence over the coaching of potential pro footballers at all.

The problem and the solution lies with the clubs. Until they start playing creative and inventive football the youngsters coming through the ranks will never be much more than athletes in football boots. Unfortunately the price of failure in the PL is now so high that playing anything other than negative percentage football is a huge risk.

The kids are coached at their clubs and I doubt many clubs work to Charlie Hughes coaching manual. In fact I doubt the FA have much influence over the coaching of potential pro footballers at all.

The problem and the solution lies with the clubs. Until they start playing creative and inventive football the youngsters coming through the ranks will never be much more than athletes in football boots. Unfortunately the price of failure in the PL is now so high that playing anything other than negative percentage football is a huge risk.

You could argue, the fault lies earlier, if we produced our own "Mikel Arteta"  we wouldn't need to go buy one would we?

You could argue, the fault lies earlier, if we produced our own "Mikel Arteta"  we wouldn't need to go buy one would we?

For starters we shouldn't be playing through winter. 2 week break from x mas to new year would IMO make a massive differance to tiredness and injuries that accumulate.

Guest malandro

For starters we shouldn't be playing through winter. 2 week break from x mas to new year would IMO make a massive differance to tiredness and injuries that accumulate.

Surely it would just result in having to cram even more games in the last three months of the season. If we want fresher players the only effective option is reducing the number of games.

Surely it would just result in having to cram even more games in the last three months of the season. If we want fresher players the only effective option is reducing the number of games.

Carling Cup should just be for teams outside the PL.