Capello stays on

Doctor Zaius
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I despise John Terry. But the fact is, he's a very, very good defender and is far less culpable than most for our WC failure.

Are you kidding me? that comical defending for Gerrmany's 1st goal and inability to lead the backline generally throughout the game makes him one of the most culpable...that's not even counting whatever destabilizing effect his press conference may have had. The only players more culpable than him for England was probably Green, Barry, possibly Rooney and that's about it.    

Possibly Rooney? :lol:

Add Heskey, Upson, Lennon, Gerrard and Lampard.

I sort of guess you were gonna say that. The list of players you provided (including Rooney) can be said to have played badly because they didn't do much but they didn't cause a direct goal through sheer stupidity. For me doing something stupid (which leads to a goal) is worse than not doing anything.

I despise John Terry. But the fact is, he's a very, very good defender and is far less culpable than most for our WC failure.

Are you kidding me? that comical defending for Gerrmany's 1st goal and inability to lead the backline generally throughout the game makes him one of the most culpable...that's not even counting whatever destabilizing effect his press conference may have had. The only players more culpable than him for England was probably Green, Barry, possibly Rooney and that's about it.    

Possibly Rooney? :lol:

Add Heskey, Upson, Lennon, Gerrard and Lampard.

I sort of guess you were gonna say that. The list of players you provided (including Rooney) can be said to have played badly because they didn't do much but they didn't cause a direct goal through sheer stupidity. For me doing something stupid (which leads to a goal) is worse than not doing anything.

That's exactly the point, Rooney didn't cause a direct goal.

And just what exactly was an act of sheer stupidity?

Err did you watch Germany's first goal? When Terry basically completely misjudge the flight of the ball, quite simply the most basic skills required of any center defender let alone, a player many (including you?) say is a world class center back.

Upson and James were equally to blame.

All central defenders make mistakes. They're in the firing line for 90 minutes.

I'll agree with you to a certain extent. For some stupid reason James came out and stopped halfway. Upson I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, he was outmuscled by Klose and had to let him 'go' at some point coz otherwise it could have easily been a penalty. Besides nobody thinks of Upson as anything more than an average premier league center back. But of all the mistakes, Terry's was the worst and most amateurish, the fact that many think of him as a world class center back just makes it worse.

Terry's performance against Germany was one of the worst centre-half displays i've ever seen from a so-called top defender. kamikaze defending by a thick as pigshit twat who wanted to hog all the glory so went charging out all over the place. would've made even steven taylor at his worst blush.

Terry's performance against Germany was one of the worst centre-half displays i've ever seen from a so-called top defender. kamikaze defending by a thick as pigshit twat who wanted to hog all the glory so went charging out all over the place. would've made even steven taylor at his worst blush.

Turning up in the German penalty area at 3-1 to receive a throw in. :facepalm:

Cunt.

Providing Capello still has the appetite and determination for the job, then he should stay. He's never managed a team at a World Cup before, and he'll have gathered valuable experience. I suspect he will get away from the boot-camp atmosphere at any future tournament and take steps to help the players to relax.

He'll have to decide whether John Terry is worth it. He never seems to play as well for England as he does for Chelsea. He gets caught out of position and misjudges the flight of the ball in ways that he doesn't for his club. It baffles me a bit that he is considered a leader because half the time he seems to be playing within himself and avoiding responsibility. Against Germany, he seemed to be AWOL mentally.

The stories about him not coming to terms with losing the captaincy and that causing tension are completely credible. That daft outburst about speaking up in a team meeting about Capello seemed to be not just a challenge to the manager but to the captain as well. He was left high and dry and I suspect that if Capello hadn't been so short of alternatives he'd have dropped him.

Upson and James were equally to blame.

All central defenders make mistakes. They're in the firing line for 90 minutes.

I'll agree with you to a certain extent. For some stupid reason James came out and stopped halfway. Upson I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, he was outmuscled by Klose and had to let him 'go' at some point coz otherwise it could have easily been a penalty. Besides nobody thinks of Upson as anything more than an average premier league center back. But of all the mistakes, Terry's was the worst and most amateurish, the fact that many think of him as a world class center back just makes it worse.

I think that's a good point. Terry does have both the experience and the ability and he's one of the players who the others should be able to look up to and rely on. It couldn't have helped the likes of Upson or Johnson to be watching our best defender playing like a novice.

One of the journalists on The Times' podcast suggested that Carragher would have fouled Klose in a way which made it look like he was the one being fouled. He may have a point TBH.

Times podcast link? Do you need to be a subscriber?

One of the journalists on The Times' podcast suggested that Carragher would have fouled Klose in a way which made it look like he was the one being fouled. He may have a point TBH.

Times podcast link? Do you need to be a subscriber?

No, just get it through iTunes. It's called the Game. They've been doing it every day of the World Cup. The comment I mentioned was from a few days ago.

I'd agree. Carragher is tough and street wise and wouldn't have allowed himself to be muscled off the ball like that. He's also an organiser who's not afraid to open his mouth.

Capello fell to the temptation of picking an unchanged side after a win. Carragher was the better option and should have been restored to the team.

I'd agree. Carragher is tough and street wise and wouldn't have allowed himself to be muscled off the ball like that. He's also an organiser who's not afraid to open his mouth.

Capello fell to the temptation of picking an unchanged side after a win. Carragher was the better option and should have been restored to the team.

Boys, I've been looking for a new dealer for months can you PM me yours?

He's clearly a magician.

Aye, it's exactly the kind of decision you expect a manager as good as Capello to get right. I just wonder if, like every England manager before him seems to have done, he had one eye on how it would play in the press. If you change a winning team and the guy you put in makes a costly error, you'll get torn to bits in the papers.

Aye, it's exactly the kind of decision you expect a manager as good as Capello to get right. I just wonder if, like every England manager before him seems to have done, he had one eye on how it would play in the press. If you change a winning team and the guy you put in makes a costly error, you'll get torn to bits in the papers.

Capello has been more resistant to that pressure than any other England manager, bar Ramsey. But yes, I did wonder whether he had finally succumbed, with that decision and with keeping Defoe. Yes, he got the goal against Slovenia, but he can't hold the ball up and shouldn't have been asked to lead the line against a top team.

All this is being said with hindsight. Before the game people were generally saying that Capello should retain Upson because he supposedly had a good game against Slovenia. In truth there is nothing much between Carragher and Upson, they are both pretty average and very slow.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Capello has lost his air of invicibility and the players know it. They also know he has been left in charge for financial reasons.

He should have gone.

He lost the plot big time