The Liverpool Thread

Parky

I reckon if you've signed charlie adam for 4 mil you've got yourself a canny deal. He's a bit of statue in CM like, his movement is awful but he is technically gifted with a good pass and canny strike on him. Not suprised Liverpool are looking to cash in though, got themselves a decent centre midfield now. Certainly a massive upgrade on the adam/spearing combo of last season.

Unfortunately they are going to do well this season  because they have owners willing to invest on the playing side again.

I think they've a got a manager who understands how to produce CL football sides as well unfortunately. Really impressed by his determination to get rid of Carroll tbh. How that reflects on our manager that we are competing with Fat Sam for his signature is something to ponder. Hopefully it's just Ashley taking the p*ss.

Rodgers understands how to produce a Champions League football side? What on earth is that based on?

Maybe I didn't phrase it too well. What I meant was that he's very focused on producing a game based on short passing and possession to the point where he's confident enough to unload an expensive young striker who is very good in the air. CL teams I've watched have all been based on sides which pass the ball well. That's the understanding I'm talking about. Of course a lot depends on his buying as well.

I'd be more of the opinion it shows his limitations as a manager if hes not even trying to fit carroll in

Unfortunately they are going to do well this season  because they have owners willing to invest on the playing side again.

I think they've a got a manager who understands how to produce CL football sides as well unfortunately. Really impressed by his determination to get rid of Carroll tbh. How that reflects on our manager that we are competing with Fat Sam for his signature is something to ponder. Hopefully it's just Ashley taking the p*ss.

Rodgers understands how to produce a Champions League football side? What on earth is that based on?

Maybe I didn't phrase it too well. What I meant was that he's very focused on producing a game based on short passing and possession to the point where he's confident enough to unload an expensive young striker who is very good in the air. CL teams I've watched have all been based on sides which pass the ball well. That's the understanding I'm talking about. Of course a lot depends on his buying as well.

I'd be more of the opinion it shows his limitations as a manager if hes not even trying to fit carroll in

Let's see which theory is right at the end of the season.

Apparently they will bring in Llorente if they manage to sell Carroll.

I highly doubt that they are in for Llorente.

Sturridge is on Rodgers' hit-list, according to today's rags ie. The Mirror.

Strict financial control order of the day:

Liverpool FC's owners admit transfer fees and salaries need handling with care after the club's latest accounts revealed a near-£12million rise in the wage bill.

Fenway Sports Group have bankrolled substantial investment since January 2011, although that has been heavily supplemented by the £50million sale of Fernando Torres to Chelsea. His departure also lightened the burden on the wage bill, but there remains work to be done and there appears a determination to keep a tight rein on spending.

In the club's accounts, officially published on Friday, Liverpool FC identifies that area - among others - as being key in terms of 'principal risks and uncertainties'.

"Player transfer market and wage costs are those that need the most care, and the aim is to manage these costs within financial constraints whilst remaining as competitive as possible," said the directors' report submitted as part of the accounts.

The club posted a £49.4m pre-tax loss, as well documented on Thursday, compared to £19.9m for the year ending July 2010. That was mainly as a result of £35m being written off on the doomed stadium project of former owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

But the loss of Champions League football and changing managers twice have cost Liverpool FC more than £30million in less than two years. Liverpool FC's absence from Europe's elite club competition saw media revenue drop by £14.3m and matchday revenue fall by £2m in the year ending July 31 2011.

Roy Hodgson's departure, and that of associated staff, in January 2011 cost the club £8.3m. That followed six months after Rafa Benitez left, with Liverpool FC having failed to finish in the top four, at a cost of £7.7m (money which was included in the 2010 accounts).

Liverpool FC did not play in the Champions League this season and will not do next, although they will compete in the Europa League again. By comparison, their FA Cup final opponents Chelsea will receive about £46m for reaching this year's Champions League final.

Overall turnover dropped by £900,000 to £183.6m but commercially it was up by £15m. Net debt decreased from £123.4m in July 2010 (under Hicks and Gillett) to £65.4m in July 2011 and as a result, interest payments dropped by £14.6m.

A £30.2m interest-free loan was provided by FSG, who last September refinanced credit facilities with RBS, Bank of America and Barclays to provide £120million for three years - £45m for the stadium project and £75m for general purposes.

Missed out on Sturridge, Dempsey and Benayoun. Let Carroll, Spearing and Adam go. Lucas injured too.

Can always trust Liverpool to make us feel better about our situation :laugh:

Missed out on Sturridge, Dempsey and Benayoun. Let Carroll, Spearing and Adam go. Lucas injured too.

Can always trust Liverpool to make us feel better about our situation :laugh:

I was just wondering this. They're waaay worse, right?

GK: Reina, Doni, Gulacsi.

DEF: Johnson, Enrique Agger, Carragher, Kelly, Skrtel, Coates, Wilson, Flanagan, Robinson.

MID: Gerrard, Cole, Henderson, Downing, Allen, Sterling, Shelvey, Lucas (INJ).

ATT: Suarez Borini, Morgan.

Their squad, man :lol:

DEF: Johnson, Enrique Agger, Carragher, Kelly, Skrtel, Coates, Wilson, Flanagan, Robinson.

Gerrard's legs will fall off.

Fucking hell. :lol:

They'll not finish top 8 with that.

well I fell better

Gerrard was certainly disciplined enough in the Euro's for England in a deep central position, I see no reason why he can't do it for Liverpool as well.

He just seems to want to be the all-conquering hero, bombing all over the pitch saving the day.

Strictly an outsider's view obviously, I don't watch him every week.

That pretty much sums him up, tbh. If he had some brains in his head instead of just ego, he would have truly been the complete footballer.

He was much more disciplined in the summer. Perhaps he has finally got an ounce or two of discipline, and can lay off the Hollywood balls.

Injuries and his drop in energy levels probably 'convinced' him to take a more disciplined approach. I don;t think he can cover every single blade of grass like he used to.

It's like you can go clubbing most days when you are young, but now prefer a coffee and a book as you get older.

You're absolutely right.

Looks to be potentially he a worse man manager than souness, certainly for players he deems not worthy of his team. You don't show all your cards to the press man, I think he must already be feelin a lot of pressure to be pulling out lines which how his hands are tied in the transfer market. Fucking hilarious

You can't be paying a player who isn't first choice those kind of wages. End of.

I'd love to have kept him as an option, but you can have three "options" for what we were paying him.

Man, while I'm made up we got Sahin, I'm so gutted we're now scrounging for loans from Real and Barca when 5 or 6 years ago, we were trouncing them in the Champions League. We fucking humiliated Real at Anfield.

It makes me want to cry  :facepalm: