The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Rodgers dresses like he's a good manager, with the little jumper and that.

He's just won a game in Europe, they will be building the shrine by now are they?

Aye

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSuWmr0w3tOETy7enEJOBIaK0P2pd7P7wQNbrf7uFj9P1PVg4Y4

A question for the older lads on here, but isn't this "historical rivalry between Liverpool and Manchester United" hype simply rewriting history? I'm 43 and I don't remember any great rivalry between them in the late 1970s and 1980s before Ferguson. At that time, Manchester United were simply not a competitive club. Liverpool's rivals were teams like Forest, Ipswich, Everton, Arsenal, and Villa. Conversely, in the Sky/Premiership era, Liverpool have barely been competitive and have watched on as Manchester United have domestically surpassed their historical achievements.

So hyping the rivalry helps Man U forget they were massive underachievers and were even relegated when Liverpool were coming to be the main force in English football and helps Liverpool forget they have been mainly also-rans for the last twenty years. If Man U have rivals, they are Arsenal, Chelsea and now Citeh. Liverpool are just a team that raises their game against them.

A question for the older lads on here, but isn't this "historical rivalry between Liverpool and Manchester United" hype simply rewriting history? I'm 43 and I don't remember any great rivalry between them in the late 1970s and 1980s before Ferguson. At that time, Manchester United were simply not a competitive club. Liverpool's rivals were teams like Forest, Ipswich, Everton, Arsenal, and Villa. Conversely, in the Sky/Premiership era, Liverpool have barely been competitive and have watched on as Manchester United have domestically surpassed their historical achievements.

So hyping the rivalry helps Man U forget they were massive underachievers and were even relegated when Liverpool were coming to be the main force in English football and helps Liverpool forget they have been mainly also-rans for the last twenty years. If Man U have rivals, they are Arsenal, Chelsea and now Citeh. Liverpool are just a team that raises their game against them.

Fergie was told he had to out do liverpools titles.  He has done a great job in domestic terms but Liverpool have 5 european cups.

Fergie was told he had to out do liverpools titles.  He has done a great job in domestic terms but Liverpool have 5 european cups.

Wonder if they were kinda joking when they told him that  :lol:

Wasn't there some hassle centuries ago about shipping charges which ultimately ended in the Manchester ship canal being built? Sure I've read that there has been needle between Liverpool and Manchester long before organised football.

Could have imagined it like. :lol:

Wasn't there some hassle centuries ago about shipping charges which ultimately ended in the Manchester ship canal being built? Sure I've read that there has been needle between Liverpool and Manchester long before organised football.

There's been a long musical rivalry. ;)

There's been a long musical rivalry. ;)

Eh? From what I've seen bands from both cities seem to get on great actually. Unless I'm missing something implied by that wink...