The Liverpool Thread

Parky

How long until the media realise that bar a blip of a year in 2004 (?) Liverpool have been irrelevant as a 'top top' club since the mid 90s.

No young players will know/care about how great they were pre Premier League and the Champs League win is very much a blip.

Don't think we'll ever see this day.

I've seen small kids in countries far and wide with L'pool shirts. Glory hunting dads and that. they've been competitive enough to keep newer fans. You've called it a blip but they got to the CL final the year after. QF's and Semi's for a good few years thereafter. Won the UEFA, a number of domestic cups.

L'pools potential is massive. That brand could be very powerful. It's still pretty useful now.

Guest firetotheworks

How long until the media realise that bar a blip of a year in 2004 (?) Liverpool have been irrelevant as a 'top top' club since the mid 90s.

No young players will know/care about how great they were pre Premier League and the Champs League win is very much a blip.

'05.

TBF, they're just as 'top' a club as Arsenal are really. They've nearly won the title twice too. I don't like them, but they're not irrelevant as a top club like.

Plus they were in the final in 07 and in the years after that were always a contender. They were also able to attract world class players at the time like Macherano, Alonso and Torres.

They've always been able to attract that calibre of player tbh. Highly rated at the time but not firmly "world class". Madrid wouldn't stump up the 13m for Alonso. You have to remember they bought him before winning the CL. Bought Suarez fro top dollar too - no Europe.

Lucrative would've been a better word.

Not really when he was on about bigger clubs not being in for Suarez.

Liverpool are of course a historically bigger club than Chelsea (who I can't stand) but Chelsea have been a bigger draw to players for years and not just for the wages.

They're a much bigger club these days in the context Astroblack was talking, i.e. ability to sign top players.

I don't think he meant that. If he did, why wasn't Man City mentioned over (or at least alongside) their poorer neighbours?

How long does it take for Chelsea to be bigger than Liverpool? Their record over the past 10 years isn't even comparable, Chelsea have been far more successful. They have a growing number of fans around the world because of their success, much like Liverpool grew their fanbase in the 80s when they were successful. If Chelsea get a new stadium they will have the advantage in terms of infrastructure, chance of success, quality of players, financial means and recent history. They will be a bigger club than Liverpool. Just because they came from money doesn't mean they can't turn it into something sustained.

Liverpool turned their dominance in the 80s into something that has been able to sustain them financially today. If Chelsea continue to be successful for the next 5-10 years, they will have a very large mindshare in terms of fans around the world, something that will manifest in financial power. The only thing they lack is a big stadium but even then, Stamford Bridge is only a tiny bit smaller than Anfield. It's not Old Trafford v The Dell we're talking about, it's 6,000 seats.