The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Good win for the tramps. Still think Dalglish will fuck it up though. His time here was unwatchable.

Was miles better than Souness, Gullit and Allardyce.

He was on a hiding to nothing. He was rebound guy. Wasn't even given a decent welcome, and the board were more interested in floating the club.

Guest Wearside

Looked good today but got to laugh at the way SKY build them up and Redknapp and co claiming they are still a good bet to qualify for the Champions League,their is no chance whatsoever they will qualify for the Champions League.

Amazing what a new manager can do to players who previously showed no desire at all under the previous management.

Good win for the tramps. Still think Dalglish will fuck it up though. His time here was unwatchable.

He was on a hiding to nothing. He was rebound guy. Wasn't even given a decent welcome, and the board were more interested in floating the club.

Absolutely agree. It's been quite irritating watching people slagging off his time here at NUFC, the guy has a better track record as manager than many of the 8 or so different managers we've had in the past 7 years. Looks to me like people are letting their anti-Liverpool prejudices blind their vision of him as a manager and as a footballing legend. Sad, really. :neutral:

Good win for the tramps. Still think Dalglish will f*** it up though. His time here was unwatchable.

Absolutely agree. It's been quite irritating watching people slagging off his time here at NUFC, the guy has a better track record as manager than many of the 8 or so different managers we've had in the past 7 years. Looks to me like people are letting their anti-Liverpool prejudices blind their vision of him as a manager and as a footballing legend. Sad, really. :neutral:

I can see what you're saying.

But 2nd to 13th? In one season

Howay

Good win for the tramps. Still think Dalglish will f*** it up though. His time here was unwatchable.

It's pathetic and very typical of the general attitude on here.

Why would we care if he's a footballing legend?  None of that status was earned at Newcastle so I couldn't give a toss about him.

Why would we care if he's a footballing legend?  None of that status was earned at Newcastle so I couldn't give a toss about him.

If you're going to offer an opinion of a manager, you have to take his track record beyond NUFC into account.

Basically, this...

Guest neesy111

Dalglish does well when he has money to spend.

I can see what you're saying.

But 2nd to 13th? In one season

Howay

Exactly, no excuse for a decline like that.  The football we played in 1997/98 rivals for the some of the worst even seen in the last 20 years.  Also only survived relegation on last home game of the season.

He took us to 2nd when it wasn't looking likely at one stage and a Cup Final. Not that bad, and not helped that he was the only manager not to really have Shearer at his disposal (injured for 5 months and then out of form in the league in the second half). He alone would have added at least 15 league goals to that side imo.

Guest neesy111

He took us to 2nd when it wasn't looking likely at one stage and a Cup Final. Not that bad, and not helped that he was the only manager not to really have Shearer at his disposal (injured for 5 months and then out of form in the league in the second half). He alone would have added at least 15 league goals to that side imo.

I still think we would have won the league under Keegan that season.  We were starting to hit form in the league before Keegan quit.

Come on now. Dalglish had won the title with L'pool and Blackburn and this meant that we were supposed to have done really well to get this guy to replace KK when our approach for SBR was rebuffed by Barca (if only that went through eh?). And fans were generally happy - he was certainly a big name, he could now gun for the title and get us over the line, as he had experience etc etc.

But for someone with such a great reputation, and who had won something at every club (even bloody Blackburn Rovers!) he bombed here big time. 2nd to 13th - even without your talismanic striker for most of the season is absolutely outrageous. Have you forgotten the dire style of football - we scored something like 36 goals ALL season (we've already surpassed that this season!). He replaced good players with the old guard - Pearce (who was ok), and his Liverpool chums Barnes and Rush. Then dross like Des Hamilton, Glass, Serrant, (who are these people?!). He completely set us back - he came in when our stock was high - literally one of the most exciting clubs in Europe at that time, and I don't care what anyone says - he killed that momentum and made us into a mid table club. Ruud Gullit didn't fare much better but look at the team he was left with - (I didn't rate Gullit either for what its worth).

He did have some transfer successes - namely Given, Solano and Speed (and Hamann) but way more flops. And all this - the flops like Andersson and Guivarch (and the above mentioned), 13th position, boring football, NUFC becoming average, also-rans etc all within his tenure - less than 18months! It is criminal looking back.

We all detest Souness for what he did to SBR's great team. But how many of us actually rated him beforehand - we all said it was a shocking appointment. The two reigns however are frighteningly similar - both dour Scots, Liverpool legends (as if we don't have enough reasons already to hate Liverpool!), bought a few decent players but mostly flopped, and both led NUFC to their worst premier league finishes. But Dalglish tends to get away with it. Because he led us to 2nd place with Keegans team? Even Souness got us far in Europe, and had 10 match unbeaten run start etc with Bobby Robson's team. But set the club back majorly.

Don't get me wrong - he must be a decent enough manager, those who play under him rave about him (Shearer) but I think we have LOTS of cause for grievance with Dalglish - he was a shocking manager for us. Forget the FA cup run - we surrendered meekly in the final anyway (and only had to beat Sheff Utd, Div 1 to get there). And he's had good success elsewhere.

We need to learn a lesson - stay away from ex-Liverpool legends! (Apart from KK of course!)

Yep fair enough. No excuses for the following season.

P***es off Ginola. Sells Lesley, Clark, Elliot, Tino.

Brings in Pistone, Barnes, Rush, Pearce.