The Liverpool Thread

Parky

No way, man. Jose's the best defensive LB in the league. Only A Cole comes close and he doesn't possess Jose's strength.

Overall, Jose's probably behind him and maybe Evra, although Evra hasn't been as good as he was two seasons ago. I like Baines also; he's better than Jose going forward, but not as good defensively. Actually, from the little I've seen of Kolarov, he's as good as Jose (overall; he's not as good defensively but makes up for it with his attacking play).

Not bad.

it's crap if you compare it with his previous spell at Liverpool and Newcastle where he took over successful teams and guided them slowly downwards after starting well with teams other managers had built.

Dalglish's Liverpool were a fantastic team. In fact a lot of Liverpool supporters claim he gave them their greatest ever team. That was with the players he bought as well.

They were quality but it does help when you inherit one of the best squads in Europe from Fagan (and Paisley). It's a nice foundation to build on.

Not bad.

it's crap if you compare it with his previous spell at Liverpool and Newcastle where he took over successful teams and guided them slowly downwards after starting well with teams other managers had built.

Dalglish's Liverpool were a fantastic team. In fact a lot of Liverpool supporters claim he gave them their greatest ever team. That was with the players he bought as well.

They were quality but it does help when you inherit one of the best squads in Europe from Fagan (and Paisley). It's a nice foundation to build on.

He did build his own side though...the side he assembled for the 87-88 season was probably the best club side I've seen.Superb to watch too.Though I suppose it was easy to go after the likes of Pedro and Barnes.

The basis of any successful side is a strong defence, and I don't think Dalglish has got that. He doesn't even seem to be trying to address it, on the basis of the transfer rumours.

Surely he's waiting for the likes of Sol Campbell to be available on a free in the summer? Maybe he'll bring back Sami Hyypia while he's at it...

Rafa sold Hyypia a good 2 years too early.

Not bad.

He did build his own side though...the side he assembled for the 87-88 season was probably the best club side I've seen.Superb to watch too.Though I suppose it was easy to go after the likes of Pedro and Barnes.

You've got to keep it going but taking over a squad like that with so many good players already at the club makes it much easier. It's too easy to keep most of the squad there and add (obvious) good players to it.

It's not a miracle he's performed. He's used his common sense and eyes. It doesn't deserve that much praise tbh.

The basis of any successful side is a strong defence, and I don't think Dalglish has got that. He doesn't even seem to be trying to address it, on the basis of the transfer rumours.

Surely he's waiting for the likes of Sol Campbell to be available on a free in the summer? Maybe he'll bring back Sami Hyypia while he's at it...

Rafa sold Hyypia a good 2 years too early.

He didn't want to; Hyypia wasn't happy on the bench as backup to Agger. Everyone wanted him to stay, but he quite rightly thought he had a few more seasons of regular games in him.

It's when he started buying players like David Burrows and Glenn Hysen that his team started to fail and people started to question his judgment...even more so when he signed David Speedie a week or two before he resigned.

Not bad.

You've got to keep it going but taking over a squad like that with so many good players already at the club makes it much easier. It's too easy to keep most of the squad there and add (obvious) good players to it.

It's not a miracle he's performed. He's used his common sense and eyes. It doesn't deserve that much praise tbh.

Yes and no. You can't really credit him with visionary signings, but managers taking over already excellent sides are judged by different criteria than those taking over mediocre teams. Indeed, they require rather different skills.

I'd equate Kenny's first managerial spell with that of Guardiola's current reign at Barcelona. Both took already great sides to even greater heights, and while they can never claim to have built that side, they stand apart from the litany of managers who have taken such sides and ruined them.

Not bad.

Yes and no. You can't really credit him with visionary signings, but managers taking over already excellent sides are judged by different criteria than those taking over mediocre teams. Indeed, they require rather different skills.

I'd equate Kenny's first managerial spell with that of Guardiola's current reign at Barcelona. Both took already great sides to even greater heights, and while they can never claim to have built that side, they stand apart from the litany of managers who have taken such sides and ruined them.

I think he bought around half of that side...Houghton,Barnes,Beardsley and Aldridge certainly were his signings.

Not bad.

I think he bought around half of that side...Houghton,Barnes,Beardsley and Aldridge certainly were his signings.

I'm pretty sure he did, but it was still a great side when he started.

Guest Stephen927

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/190741_203438463015656_100000485115245_745774_8246814_n.jpg

Found this on Facebook. It's killing me.