The Liverpool Thread

Parky

How can a Texas court have a say in what happens to an English business owned by a Cayman company that owes money to a Scottish bank?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/oct/13/liverpool-board-meeting

Hicks and Gillett last night sought to throw another spanner in the works claiming the Texas State District Court had granted a temporary restraining order preventing the sale from going ahead. They claimed the Liverpool directors executed a "epic swindle" and claimed damages $1.6bn dollars (£1bn).

Guest VegasToon

How can a Texas court have a say in what happens to an English business owned by a Cayman company that owes money to a Scottish bank?

Maybe if the buyer is also from the States?  Honestly, I don't fucking know, but it is pretty damn funny.

Guest neesy111

If the holding company is listed in America, then American courts can block moves on anything involving that holding company.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Because we're AMERICA!

Guest Geordiesned

SkyNewsBreak:

Liverpool directors agree to complete sale of club to Boston Red Sox owners and will seek to have Texas court order preventing sale removed

It's getting more interesting.

I'd thought it was going to hinge on whether the Board had sold the club for a 'reasonable' price. Instead, it looks like that aspect of the case was outside the High Court's remit, and the focus was on the legality of H and G's attempt to block the decision to sell, by re-constituting the Board. I daresay they would have been on very weak ground there.

However, it looks like they've decided to challenge the 'reasonable price' aspect in a Court where they're most likely to get a sympathetic hearing - ie an American one. Away from all the emotion in this country about the institution that is Liverpool FC, they may have a strong case. It's hard to believe that the best possible price was one that covered the debt and no more.

I found this incredibly amusing.  This is the webpage of the court that will be deciding the future of the most historically significant English football club to play the game:  http://www.dallascourts.com/forms/frmCtsCivDist.asp?court=H

This is also one of those awful places in parts of the South where judges are actually elected, meaning that in some way a tiny little jurisdiction of Dallas rednecks are really the ones deciding the future of the mighty Liverpool FC......

They're completely out of their minds.

"Liverpool FC had various valuations and potential sales that valued the club in excess of $600 million and as much as $1.03 billion."

Whose arse were those figures pulled out of?

There is no way on earth, in the middle of a recession, that LFC could fetch even close to $600m, let alone $1bn.

The way I see it, the only effect the suit could possibly have is that the bank indeed forecloses on Kop Holdings, they lose the club and their money anyway, and the club is then sold, possibly at an even lower price.

Half the complaints in the suit are based on the LFC directors having been removed by H&G and thus not having the authority to agree  to the sale. Since this has already been found to be false by a British court ruling on British law, I have no idea where this leaves the validity of the injunction under US law.