The Liverpool Thread

Parky

“I don’t think we are in a position to have £35M players as third choice strikers, or wingers who are on £5M-£6M a year. This is the challenge I have.”  “You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to see Andy Carroll has been a cover player for us.”

“He’s been excellent in terms of his attitude and acceptance of where he is at, but as a football club – and I’m talking generically here – the reality is, financially, we need to repair.”  “I’m talking in terms of salaries. That’s reality.”

“Unfortunately, it is going to take more than one window. The transition of the squad may take us until next summer.” “Some players here, even though you want to move them on, because of wages and other factors they are not going to just walk out the door. It’s going to take time to build that.”

Rodgers is HORRIBLE at man-management. :idiot2:

Downing is too one-paced, and lacks the guile (& quick bursts of acceleration off-the-ball) needed to succeed in Rodger's pass&move gameplan.

Sterling has alot of upside, and looks a better fit for what Rodgers wants to install there. In addition Rodgers gave a very promising lad a taste of a big-game atmosphere - i wish that would happen a bit more here ie. Tavanier, RB. Sterling's inclusion (at Downing's expense) could be end up being the most inspired selection-table decision of the season.

“I don’t think we are in a position to have £35M players as third choice strikers, or wingers who are on £5M-£6M a year. This is the challenge I have.”  “You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to see Andy Carroll has been a cover player for us.”

“He’s been excellent in terms of his attitude and acceptance of where he is at, but as a football club – and I’m talking generically here – the reality is, financially, we need to repair.”  “I’m talking in terms of salaries. That’s reality.”

“Unfortunately, it is going to take more than one window. The transition of the squad may take us until next summer.” “Some players here, even though you want to move them on, because of wages and other factors they are not going to just walk out the door. It’s going to take time to build that.”

Oh, just wow.

Was in the union rooms pre-Spurs with Soccer Saturday on, every WBA goal against Liverpool was cheered like a Newcastle goal. It's not limited to the forum.

That would be the same whether it was Man United or Chelsea.  People dislike big teams/cheer the underdog.  Brazil were getting booed at St James v Honduras!

I'm not saying I like Liverpool, just this is obviously a thread with a lot of legs and that surprises me.  Personally, I would rather Liverpool beat Man U.  If one man is entitlement it is Alex Ferguson.  Them beating us to the league in 96.  Hammering us in the Charity Shield.  Getting revenge in the 5-0 then finishing runners up again.  Beating us the in FA Cup final in 1999 and semis in 05.  I will always get more satisfaction beating them.  With the mackems a perrenial joke I tended to think of Man U as our biggest rivals.  The couple of glory hunters in my school supported Man U too.

I felt, last season, beating Man U was more satisfying because they were champions.  The gold standard is beating them.  Hammering Liverpool was just hilarious, laugh at Dalglish, Enrique, Carroll.  Don't get me wrong, I hate Dalglish for selling Ginola and Ferdinand, two of my all time favorite players.  I just dont really rate Liverpool as a scalp in the same way I do Man U.  :dontknow:

Irrational football hatred is great though.  I felt Wolves "deserved" to go down last season for knocking us out the FA Cup in 03.  ;D

That's something I've wondered. This is the Liverpool thread, so I expect to see a lot of vitriol directed at LFC, but I'm surprised that NUFC fans seem to hate us more than Man Utd, who have unquestionably p*ssed somewhat more vigourously on the NUFC bonfire than we ever have.

I can understand if it's down to our fans, though. Liverpool fans, especially Scousers, can be a bit, err, special.

I know Liverpool fans acted like complete and utter c***s after the 4-3 in 1996, even though they basically handed the title to their most bitter rivals mind. This might not help your case.

WTF?

Never heard someone being so clumsy.

Its just his change of stance on the situation, this is another different comment. I get a feeling Liverpool are going to buckle to our low offer. No other EL qualifier will bid and it doesn't look like West Ham could afford him let alone Carroll wanting to join them.

WTF?

Never heard someone being so clumsy.

That reads to me like he is trying to convince his own baord that a loan move for Carroll is better then having him sat on the bench taking up wages.  And from his point of view will eventually lead to a transfer.  Rogers understands its the only way to move the asset, not sure his board as keen tho.

Looks to be potentially he a worse man manager than souness, certainly for players he deems not worthy of his team. You don't show all your cards to the press man, I think he must already be feelin a lot of pressure to be pulling out lines which how his hands are tied in the transfer market. Fucking hilarious

The thing is at Swansea he said all the right things. When playing against the "big" clubs he held the right balance between respect and relishing the opportunity. He handled the players very well as well as transfer speculation. 5 minutes at Liverpool and he is turning into a cock.

The thing is at Swansea he said all the right things. When playing against the "big" clubs he held the right balance between respect and relishing the opportunity. He handled the players very well as well as transfer speculation. 5 minutes at Liverpool and he is turning into a cock.

Tbf no one cared what he said at Swansea.

Guest neesy111

Apparently they will bring in Llorente if they manage to sell Carroll.

I highly doubt that they are in for Llorente.

Guest Chubby Jason

Maybe they're hoping for QPR to finally match young manager Mark Hughes' insatiable ambition and throw in a £40million bid for Carroll on deadline day.

Unfortunately they are going to do well this season  because they have owners willing to invest on the playing side again.

I think they've a got a manager who understands how to produce CL football sides as well unfortunately. Really impressed by his determination to get rid of Carroll tbh. How that reflects on our manager that we are competing with Fat Sam for his signature is something to ponder. Hopefully it's just Ashley taking the piss.

Unfortunately they are going to do well this season  because they have owners willing to invest on the playing side again.

I think they've a got a manager who understands how to produce CL football sides as well unfortunately. Really impressed by his determination to get rid of Carroll tbh. How that reflects on our manager that we are competing with Fat Sam for his signature is something to ponder. Hopefully it's just Ashley taking the p*ss.

Rodgers understands how to produce a Champions League football side? What on earth is that based on?

I think they've a got a manager who understands how to produce CL football sides as well unfortunately. Really impressed by his determination to get rid of Carroll tbh. How that reflects on our manager that we are competing with Fat Sam for his signature is something to ponder. Hopefully it's just Ashley taking the p*ss.

Rodgers understands how to produce a Champions League football side? What on earth is that based on?

Maybe I didn't phrase it too well. What I meant was that he's very focused on producing a game based on short passing and possession to the point where he's confident enough to unload an expensive young striker who is very good in the air. CL teams I've watched have all been based on sides which pass the ball well. That's the understanding I'm talking about. Of course a lot depends on his buying as well.