How do you rate this World Cup

Guest firetotheworks
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Overall pretty average but a few games really stand out and upgraded the world cup standard to decent. Don't think we'll ever get a game with so many mixed emotions and drama as the Uruguay vs Ghana match. Other outstanding games were the Uruguay vs Germany, Uruguay vs Holland, Holland vs Brazil, Germany vs Argentina and of course Germany vs England (though I zone out for the last 10 minutes of that one).

Guest firetotheworks

I've only seen 3 world cups so far, so this one goes down as good. Didn't like the 06 world cup at all, for some reason.

:dowie: I'm Baffled. Dowie is baffled.

That was the best I've seen from '94 onwards.

I've only seen 3 world cups so far, so this one goes down as good. Didn't like the 06 world cup at all, for some reason.

:dowie: I'm Baffled. Dowie is baffled.

That was the best I've seen from '94 onwards.

'94 was totally mint, then it's '02 for me...'98, '06 and this pile of shite were forgettable

Apart from one performance by Zidane v Brazil and one semi, 06 was utterly forgettable...because I've forgotten it all already

'06 was great man! Argentina alone make it better than this one.

because of one game v a shite Serbia?

Germany have been far more entertaining than anyone last time and the two finalists were better.

Guest firetotheworks

'06 was great man! Argentina alone make it better than this one.

because of one game v a s**** Serbia?

Germany have been far more entertaining than anyone last time and the two finalists were better.

No, because of all of their performances, including the one they lost against Germany. Czech Rep were a decent watch too. The goals that were scored were excellent too. This World Cup Van Bronckhorts was probably the best. It wouldn't have made the top 5 from the '06 WC.

This was one of the worst WCs I can remember.

There were precious few outstanding players, hence Forlan being chosen as the best player at the tournament. As an entertainer, he wasn't in the same league as some from the past, like Garrincha(Brazil, 1958), Pele(Brazil, 1962 and 70), Cruyff(Holland, 74), Eusebio(Portugal 1966), and more recently, our own Gazza(1990) and Zidane,(France 2006).

I think the tournament has become sterile and over-politicised, probably as a result of Blatter's policies.

He is also to blame for the blatantly-stupid policy of avoiding technology, something at which football now lags other major sports in adopting. I believe this to be a means of enabling referees to have a hand in dictating the way games go, thus casting doubt on the honesty of the whole sport.

There is no excuse to continue this antediluvian policy because it takes only split seconds from an official in the stand watching the TV replay(or a bleeper in the goal frame/ball)to confirm or change a ref's faulty decision. All refs now have head-sets, and most stadiums replay screens....

Those who fight against this are totally wrong - football has ALWAYS had to change its rules when players or managers have adopted policies that enable them to use the rules to their own advantage, but spoil it for the spectators. Our own Bill McCracken & Frank Hudspeth were responsible for the change to the offside rule in the early years of last century, because they had it off to a fine art - Newcastle were renowned for the ploy, and so successful at it that it was changed from 2 defenders(excl GK) to one - the rulers of the game at that time felt that it ruined the sport for the fans by limiting the number of goals.

Likewise, the back-pass to goalkeepers was banned more recently to try to prevent time-wasting ...

Blatter is a dinosaur(and a suspect one at that ..!), and should be removed as head of FIFA.

Poor, but it filled some of the summer. Also, there are very few year-round football fans in my office so it was nice to have some football chat, even if most of it was bollocks.

Guest Brummiemag

A shockingly poor World Cup in my opinion, the worst I can ever remember.

64 games and not one classic. Maybe 3 or 4 decent games in total. Football is becoming duller, more negative and devoid of exciting, attacking play. It just wasnt entertaining for me. In addition to the cautious, midfield based yawnfest we have all the playacting and cheating as well.     

I think football as a spectator sport is going to have a major problem in the future and the Premier League isnt much better either. I honestly think that the time has come for FIFA to consider and experiment with changes to make football more exciting, whether that involves rule changes and/or incentives for scoring goals I don't know, but they need to do something.

Cannot beat a great game of football but you hardly ever see one anymore.

The third place game was the only end-to-end "you hit I hit back" goalfest. And that's because teams threw caution to the wind.

As a football fan I was actually entertained by the tactical battles that were presented, but I admit as purely an spectator it wasn't that great. But there a few good games still, and 2006 was a bore.

The acting and cheating is reaching critical levels now, it's totally spoiling my enjoyment of football.

The rule should be that you have to stay on your feet unless you physically can't... not that you can go down every time a hand brushes your shirt.

Problem is that as long players think that unless they go down like a sack of s*** they will be getting squat from the ref, they will keep doing it. If we do video refereeing at least for game-changing incidents and card divers that try to get penalties, etc... it will do a lot I think.

I like that this WC has brought up the debate about officiating the game. Hopefully it won't fall on deaf ears (FIFA's).

The acting and cheating is reaching critical levels now, it's totally spoiling my enjoyment of football.

The rule should be that you have to stay on your feet unless you physically can't... not that you can go down every time a hand brushes your shirt.

For me its when players get lightly clipped round the ankles. You just wouldn't fall over. Fair enough if you stumble then fall. But the slightest touch, the player cries in agony and their up straight away for the free kick. This happened several times last night and it drove me mad.

Guest TheGreatNUFCSwindle

Best World Cups ive seen so far ..in order ...

1. 1970

2. 1982

3. 1978

4. 1990

5. 1974

6. 1986

All the rest have been s*** imo ...hardly worth watching ..including this latest one .