Harry Redknapp

Tooj

Guest gggg

I don't even think I agree with those saying the winners must take priority over the club finishing 4th place to give them a chance to defend their title, if I had to pick one or the other I'd go for who finished 4th.  A club like Chelsea has failed massively by finishing outside the top 4 with the money they've spent and the wages.

So you pick someone who finishes 4, third of the losers to play in the Champions League over someone who are the champions of the Champions League. Bizarre!

Even more bizarre to pick the people who finished 5th of the losers like, or potentially 19th, as it could happen.

Bayern finished 10th when they won the second European Cup in the 70's. Who finished 4th in the Bundesliga that year? Nobody knows because it doesn't matter, Bayern winning the European was a far better achievement which people do still remember and gave them the right to win it he next year

There weren't 4 CL places in those days so this is a laughable comment anyway.

More laughable than 4th place being an achievement worth comparing to winning the European Cup? That's what's fucked up, not the holders getting in as they've always done

They haven't always though, the rules only changed when Liverpool wet themselves about it.

They have. Real got in in 2000 when they finished 5th

It was the FA trying to get Everton in that caused the mess in 2005 so Uefa cleared up the rule completely

I don't even think I agree with those saying the winners must take priority over the club finishing 4th place to give them a chance to defend their title, if I had to pick one or the other I'd go for who finished 4th.  A club like Chelsea has failed massively by finishing outside the top 4 with the money they've spent and the wages.

So you pick someone who finishes 4, third of the losers to play in the Champions League over someone who are the champions of the Champions League. Bizarre!

Even more bizarre to pick the people who finished 5th of the losers like, or potentially 19th, as it could happen.

Bayern finished 10th when they won the second European Cup in the 70's. Who finished 4th in the Bundesliga that year? Nobody knows because it doesn't matter, Bayern winning the European was a far better achievement which people do still remember and gave them the right to win it he next year

There weren't 4 CL places in those days so this is a laughable comment anyway.

More laughable than 4th place being an achievement worth comparing to winning the European Cup? That's what's fucked up, not the holders getting in as they've always done

They haven't always though, the rules only changed when Liverpool wet themselves about it.

They have. Real got in in 2000 when they finished 5th

It was the FA trying to get Everton in that caused the mess in 2005 so Uefa cleared up the rule completely

That was the choice of the Spanish FA.  The English FA chose 4th but Liverpool weren't having it.  It's no longer the choice of the country's FA.

Guest neesy111

I don't understand why 5 teams getting in would be a joke, unless you're hanging on to the idea of the old competition.  It'd only be one country that got an extra place each year.

Having 5 teams would knack the way the tournament is organised for TV and teams from same country not meeting each other until last 8.

Guest gggg

Bit surprised gggg favours a rule which plays into the hands of the elite, considering his usual views on here.

It's just common sense to have the winners qualify over everybody else.

And having 5 Premier League teams, 1/4 of the league in is certainly favorable to the elite.

Bit surprised gggg favours a rule which plays into the hands of the elite, considering his usual views on here.

An elite team should surely be finishing top 4.

It's horrible on the rare occasion it happens, but the defending champions should get priority over a team finishing 4th.

And having 5 Premier League teams, 1/4 of the league in is certainly favorable to the elite.

Giving the teams that qualify the previous year (more than likely the sides who get in every year) a path to entry which is impossible for the fourth placed team to influence (if they haven't qualified previously) is unfairly balanced towards the top clubs. I really don't see why winning a tournament you qualified for last year should have any bearing on qualifying for it this year. Completely outdated idea having the holders defend their trophy - their defence should start by making sure they qualify through the league, just like the World Cup winners' starts with making sure they get there.

I wonder what Harry Redknapp's opinion is.

Look forward to his snide bitterness seeping through his quasi-dignified exterior.

"well we're disappointed, but we've had a good season, we weren't even competing for Europe when I took over... let alone disappointed to miss out on the Champions League... we knew the rules at the start of the season... even if they aren't fair, and should be changed retrospectively... but we knew 'em, we just got to move forward.. try and find some players, there's this one guy who has one year left on his contract we're looking at unsettling, his name is..."

Giving the teams that qualify the previous year (more than likely the sides who get in every year) a path to entry which is impossible for the fourth placed team to influence (if they haven't qualified previously) is unfairly balanced towards the top clubs. I really don't see why winning a tournament you qualified for last year should have any bearing on qualifying for it this year. Completely outdated idea having the holders defend their trophy - their defence should start by making sure they qualify through the league, just like the World Cup winners' starts with making sure they get there.

Sums up UEFA as a whole tbh.

First thing UEFA should do is change the name just so we avoid this tedious "it's supposed to be Champions" shit every year. The competition has changed, get over it.

First thing UEFA should do is change the name just so we avoid this tedious "it's supposed to be Champions" shit every year. The competition has changed, get over it.

Yep, doesn't make any sense that otherwise logical people still go on about this.

Guest neesy111

2nd.  Get rid of the group stages and create knock-out only compeition.

First thing UEFA should do is change the name just so we avoid this tedious "it's supposed to be Champions" s*** every year. The competition has changed, get over it.

and get rid of the seeding, if real madrid get barce in the first round, so be it.

Guest neesy111

First thing UEFA should do is change the name just so we avoid this tedious "it's supposed to be Champions" s*** every year. The competition has changed, get over it.

and get rid of the seeding, if real madrid get barce in the first round, so be it.

:thup: