Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

The President of OM will clearly see it as a defeat if he lets the deal go through. What's more, it'll be a defeat to a combination of a mouthy youngster and a group of Englishmen, and no proud, successful Frenchman is going to like that.

I suspect that Ben Afra is even more stubborn, and will get his way in the end. Which in a sense makes it all the more important that we should only take him on loan. If he's successful with us, we'll be on the end of the same treatment one day.

The President of OM will clearly see it as a defeat if he lets the deal go through. What's more, it'll be a defeat to a combination of a mouthy youngster and a group of Englishmen, and no proud, successful Frenchman is going to like that.

I suspect that Ben Afra is even more stubborn, and will get his way in the end. Which in a sense makes it all the more important that we should only take him on loan. If he's successful with us, we'll be on the end of the same treatment one day.

Well he loses either way with the insane way this has panned out.

If BA stays then he has a highly-paid moody motherflipper on his books, who doesn't want to play for Deschamps. I'd say letting him leave is the only sensible thing to do at this point.

Of course it did. In 08/09 we had a team good enough to comfortably stay up but went down because we had a bunch of shits playing for us who couldn't give a toss.

Owen -> Best

Martins -> n/a

Duff -> Routledge

Bassong -> Williamson/Campbell

Beye -> Simpson

Geremi -> Perch

Butt -> n/a

Given -> n/a

N'Zogbia -> n/a

Yes, I can see why replacing (or not) those "shits who couldn't give a toss" for the players with great morale we've taken on will see us do far better this season.  :crazy2:

You obviously never watched Duff play for us did you? WInger my fucking arse! Ive never seen someone so terrified to take a man on, and so ready to blame anyone but himself when he lost the ball. All that arm waving carry on.

I'm amazed his poor morale didn't spread through the squad and stop Fulham from getting to the Europa league final tbh. His 9 goals and 5 assists last season were also a pretty poor consolation for having to put up with all that arm waving.

Of course it did. In 08/09 we had a team good enough to comfortably stay up but went down because we had a bunch of shits playing for us who couldn't give a toss.

That doesn't necessarily make the reverse statement through for last season though, does it. I'd agree with Shearergoal that the MAIN reason we did well last season was because of the poor opposition, unless you wish to believe we would have comfortably reached European qualification last season despite what happened the season before had we managed to take a point from AV..?

I still think what he's trying to say is correct though.

If we had the same team from last season, with the same spirit and harmony, playing in 08-09, we would not have went down.

It was a combination of piss-poor management, bad timing and overpaid underperforming pre-madonas as to why we went down.

Very debatable, but we may find out soon enough I'm afraid..

Also, the good spirit and harmony are in large parts attributable to winning most of our matches. Let's see how we fare when we lose more than we win..

http://www.laprovence.com/actu/region-en-direct/ben-arfa-encore-absent-a-lentrainement

According to this he hasn't trained this morning either.

On the Marseille forum they're saying he may "buy out" his contract :)

Thats what I asked if it could be a possibility.

This seems to be the way we conduct our transfer business nowadays. First Jonas, then Gosling in similar conditions, now HBA. We're being creative, but it will not endear us to many other clubs..

Guest Brazilianbob

This is going to end up like the Luka Modric deal.  We muck about trying to get a quality player on the cheap until another club recognises he is quality and stumps up the required £6m or £7m, whilst we end up with Ryan Tayler as our attcking midfielder!!!

Ben Arfa goes to another Prem club where he is a revelation and his value increases threefold overnight.  Thats NUFC all over these days!

Lots and lots of talk on OM forum that he'll buy out his contract, or threaten to buy out his contract if he cannot move.

It's becoming clear that we have had a deal agreed and Marseille have had a change of tune. Why else would a player react in this way?

(official) link please?

Lots and lots of talk on OM forum that he'll buy out his contract, or threaten to buy out his contract if he cannot move.

It's becoming clear that we have had a deal agreed and Marseille have had a change of tune. Why else would a player react in this way?

(official) link please?

No official link,  but why would every news source in England and France say we had a deal agreed on Monday? What are they gaining from saying that? Smoke without fire?

Not to mention the OM president himself.

According to Mark Douglas in the Journal despite the hard talk from OM we're still negotiating with them.

It actually makes some sense. OM will not get out of this in a satisfactory way. The supporters wouldn't be best pleased with them letting HBA go out on loan for a minimal fee. But by playing hardball in public their president makes it look like they're getting a good deal after all. When the transfer is completed it will be for an undisclosed fee and all will be happy. Except Dassier of course.

All in all I don't think HBA can stay at Marseille.

Basically, anything a football person says in the press should be taken as bollocks... especially if the subject is transfers and the person is a 'president'.

But blind conjecture posted on here by a bunch of spotty social rejects about the clubs transfer policy is more reliable? Makes sense.

who are you calling spotty?!

(official) link please?

No official link,  but why would every news source in England and France say we had a deal agreed on Monday? What are they gaining from saying that? Smoke without fire?

Aye, because we know from past experience that everything club officials come out with is to be trusted..

(official) link please?

No official link, but why would every news source in England and France say we had a deal agreed on Monday? What are they gaining from saying that? Smoke without fire?

Aye, because we know from past experience that everything club officials come out with is to be trusted..

Why would hesay that a deal had been agreed with us and was expected to sign earlier this week?