Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

It was nowt to do with Babayaro.

Babayaro Exposed Martins.

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder admits concerns over the age of Inter Milan striker Obafemi Martins has stalled the Nigerian's move to Tyneside.

He said: "If any player that was 21 or 22 and had a value of 13 or 14 million euros was proved to be 27 or 28, there is no way he would have the same value.

"If there was a difference in age of that much, surely it has to be reflected in the price.

"We have to decide whether we believe what we're being told. Until such time that a birth certificate is seen, we have no proof other than a rumour or two."

Roeder is a big fan of the player but admits the mystery has made him think twice about bringing him to Tyneside.

He added: "There is no definite proof that Martins is older than he is saying so I have to be careful about what I say.

"But it's a bit unsettling to think you could possibly sign a player who's two or three years older than you think he is."

The Toon were alerted to the problem when defender Celestine Babayaro, 28, claimed to have played with Martins at junior level in Nigeria.

I remember a number of articles like this knocking about at the time. Obviously it's all just paper talk, but it was definitely written about around that time and this whole debate held up the transfer for a while.

Oh yeah, it was all rubbish. I think it all derived from an error on the NFA website where Oba had the wrong age.. or something, it was ages ago.

Not sure on that particular source, found that and a few others floating around forums and suchlike. Couldn't find the original threads on here.

Oh yeah, it was all rubbish. I think it all derived from an error on the NFA website where Oba had the wrong age.. or something, it was ages ago.

Not sure on that particular source, found that and a few others floating around forums and suchlike. Couldn't find the original threads on here.

Wasn't fuel poured on the fire due to the fact there was a player called Obafemi who had been around at the same time as Babayaro?

Absolute cringeworthy quotes from Roeder mind.

I found some horrible ones when I was looking through the old threads about Martins in 2006/2007.

Wasn't fuel poured on the fire due to the fact there was a player called Obafemi who had been around at the same time as Babayaro?

Can't remember that, although it'd certainly explain a lot! :lol:

Hmm Alan Smith runs like he could have played for Arsenal in the early 90's....

does he remind anyone a tad of ginola and robert ? undoubted ability with question marks over work ethic and discilpine. (also all 3 tend to get put as wingers when a free-er role probably better suits.)

Guest zinaldo1982

It wasn't rubbish about martins because it is pretty clear that the guy is at least 30 years if you read the the forums especially on nairaland where people have come up with reasonable explanation for them to think that he is older than he says he is.

How can a 25 years old player lose almost all of his pace this early,after only 2 rather not serious injuries,owen at liverpool suffered worse than that but was still quicker than most in 2005,henry at 29 years old was still lightning even anelka can still leg it really fast at 31 years old.

Look at craig bellamy with dodgy knees outpace some of the fastest defenders like clichy despite being 5 to 6 years older than him and having had to go through the knife more than oba.

It wasn't rubbish about martins because it is pretty clear that the guy is at least 30 years if you read the the forums especially on nairaland where people have come up with reasonable explanation for them to think that he is older than he says he is.

How can a 25 years old player lose almost all of his pace this early,after only 2 rather not serious injuries,owen at liverpool suffered worse than that but was still quicker than most in 2005,henry at 29 years old was still lightning even anelka can still leg it really fast at 31 years old.

Look at craig bellamy with dodgy knees outpace some of the fastest defenders like clichy despite being 5 to 6 years older than him and having had to go through the knife more than oba.

Bollocks, I don't think his pace changed at all during his time with NUFC, not too sure now but can't see him being 30 tbh, also what you have written is libellous unless you can prove he is 30.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

:lol:

:facepalm:

Bollocks, I don't think his pace changed at all during his time with NUFC, not too sure now but can't see him being 30 tbh, also what you have written is libellous unless you can prove he is 30.

his pace was always there and probably still is....he just seemd to think it was unsporting to use it.

i was also wondering about the "clause" that he can move for 3mill euro next season ? or is it just that he'd be in his last year and journos have just assumed that in his last year 3mill euros would be a likely price ?

I haven't read anything about this. Is this actually 'reports' or 'French reports' or 'Sunday Sun reports'?

Its directly from the Marseille presidents mouth. He was speaking on live tv before OM's game yesterday.

Ah right. The cynic in me suggests, then, that it's nothing but a "hurry the fuck up" call to the teams who actually have the cash to buy him.

My excitement for this potential transfer is somewhat muted. It wouldn't surprise me if any interest from us, if there ever was any, wained weeks ago. Looks like we're being used a bit as a pawn here.

Guest Heneage

I love that Emres' departure was confirmed by a picture of him looking fatter than ever in a Fener shirt on a terrace somewhere.

Geremis was canny too.

That Emre photo wasn't related at all, I seem to remember.

Guest zinaldo1982

Eh you can believe what you want but i know a lot of african players have lied about their ages because they would have never been able to get trials in europe.

I have seen some of my friends from gabon do so when we used to play football and i was younger than them and 5 years later they are all younger than me by at least 5 years.

Eh you can believe what you want but i know a lot of african players have lied about their ages because they would have never been able to get trials in europe.

I have seen some of my friends from gabon do so when we used to play football and i was younger than them and 5 years later they are all younger than me by at least 5 years.

That'll be the Oil Of Ulay.

Africans tell fibs, it's what they do best. And here you are lying about Obafemi Martins losing his pace, the irony.