Newcastle United 2 - 2 PSV Eindhoven - 31/07/10

ponsaelius

The first half was shit and like watching us at the start of last season, Perch wasn't very good and was at fault for the first PSV goal. From where I was sat, Harper could have done better for the second goal, good a strike as it was.

Subs on in the second were much better, Xisco (right mid) and Carroll looked very lively.

We had nee width at all first half, our wingers were Guthrie and R.Taylor, who both drifted in so much that we were almost playing with 4 in the centre at times.

Harper - 6, looked at fault for the second to me, otherwise tidy

Perch - 5, gave away first goal and was exposed badly by R.Taylor's lack of cover

Williamson - 7, great in the air

Coloccini - 7, fine, one brilliant goal-line tackle in particular

Enrique - 6, very positive but gave away ball when surging forwards a bit much

R.Taylor - 6, only gets the mark for goal and assist, was crap otherwise

Nolan - 5, slow, few runs into box but very little end product

Smith - 5, few good sliding tackles but nothing else of note

Guthrie - 6, better when moved central in the second half

Shola - 5, full of shit touches and missed headers

Lovenkrands - 4, barely had a touch

SUBS:

Carroll - 7, almost scored a great solo goal

Best - 6, scored (apparently)

Xisco - 6, did well in a right wing berth, one run inside and shot just wide

Tavernier - 6, slotted in fine

Crowd was silent bar about 50 lads in the top of the Gallowgate middle section.

How was Krul?

I know its only a pre-season friendly, but Kevin Nolan wasn't taking it seriously at all, playing up to the crowd several times; most noticably during a Newcastle freekick where he stared down the keeper, stalked him back and forth as he tried to set up his wall, before hiding behind a PSV defender, peeking out from between the Defender's legs and arms.

He does that in competitive games to good effect. I wouldn't call it playing up to the crowd although Nolan was off the pace.

I don't want to over analyse it because it was just a friendly and we were missing a few key players but Perch was shit, Smith hasn't improved in the midfield role at all and Shola was Shola. Raylor, goal aside, was awful too. In the second half we were much better but far from perfect and on the balance of play were probably fortunate to come away with a draw.

It was funny as fuck when Nolan was trying to put the keeper off during the freekick. I think he was taking the game seriously, as he's done this in the past. His failure to have much impression is because the centre of the park was crowded and he was horrifically slow throughout.

It was funny as fuck when Nolan was trying to put the keeper off during the freekick. I think he was taking the game seriously, as he's done this in the past. His failure to have much impression is because the centre of the park was crowded and he was horrifically slow throughout.

I think it's quite a smart tactic to use on a set piece because the keeper has got to make sure he holds the ball because Nolan is on top of them within a second or two of the save being made. He did it quite a bit last year and it worked on a couple of occasions.

He was sliding about on his arse far too much for me today. I'm all for getting stuck in but he seemed to have been taking lessons of Smudger.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I think it's quite a smart tactic to use on a set piece because the keeper has got to make sure he holds the ball because Nolan is on top of them within a second or two of the save being made. He did it quite a bit last year and it worked on a couple of occasions.

He was sliding about on his arse far too much for me today. I'm all for getting stuck in but he seemed to have been taking lessons of Smudger.

I know he does it a lot, but it was the hiding behind the defender, and 'peeking' out from between the legs and arms that made me go 'oh dear'. Also his 'dive' in the area later on, where he looked up towards the Gallowgate with a cheeky grin, before staying on the ground for 2mins with the game happening just behind him.

I know he does it a lot, but it was the hiding behind the defender, and 'peeking' out from between the legs and arms that made me go 'oh dear'. Also his 'dive' in the area later on, where he looked up towards the Gallowgate with a cheeky grin, before staying on the ground for 2mins with the game happening just behind him.

God forbid the tried and tested tactic upsets you :lol:

Just got back from game- her are my thoughts:

We were very poor first half and look like we will really struggle playing 442 without proper wingers. Perch was a little shakey and would have been sent off if it was a real game.  The turning point for me was sticking Guthrie in the middle and Xisco was suprisingly useful on the left flank. 

Tarvenier looked canny decent when he came on- shame he won't get a look in. Guthrie on the left was woeful as a few pointed out

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I'm not complaining that he does what he does in blocking the keeper's view and sweeping up any fumbles, its more the acting a fool during a game part. Ho'way man.

Guthrie out on the right is a terrible thought in the premiership. Really could do with some cover out wide, Eagles is in the last year of his contract at Burnley and would be a decent rotation player.

Shame he was on the left

I'm not complaining that he does what he does in blocking the keeper's view and sweeping up any fumbles, its more the acting a fool during a game part. Ho'way man.

I just think it's an extremely trivial thing to get worked up about. He's done it before, he'll do it again, the only difference this time was he was indulging in a bit of a needle with one of the lads in the wall and had a smile on his face. It's a friendly, man :lol:

Also, my seat in the East Stand allowed me to see that Best looked suspiciously offside when he scored.

I was in the Milburn Paddock and i didn't even celebrate at first because i thought he was offside like!

R.Taylor and Guthrie today (particularly the latter) were playing pretty much as central midfielders. We looked a million percent better with Guthrie/Nolan in the centre and Xisco wide left.

Guest BooBoo

We'll be wasting our time if we insist on playing central midfielders such as Guthrie and Barton on the wings this season.

Guest Heneage

From the Norwich highlights and today's appearance, there could be a future for Xisco being played wide.

Can't believe we don't try him up front.

From the Norwich highlights and today's appearance, there could be a future for Xisco being played wide.

Can't believe we don't try him up front.

Lots of people were voicing that today, "we know Shola's shit, give Best or Xisco a go" was the concensus.

Guest Heneage

In some ways I can really see why Xisco gets frustrated.

We know exactly what Shola, Carroll ,Lovenkrands and to a lesser extent Best offer us, so to play 2 of the 4 together is pointless, they know each other well enough by now. We should be giving Xisco full games and rotating the partner to see who works with him best, as I don't rate the Carroll-Loven partnership.