Newcastle United 2 - 2 PSV Eindhoven - 31/07/10

ponsaelius

Don't know if anybody noticed this, but for their first goal Toivonen was getting ready to take the free kick before Nolan led the brigade for him to take it further back - ultimately giving him a much better angle and distance to score from. It was sheer stupidity and you just knew it would result in a goal.

Guest BooBoo

Was a run out tats it.. we still look very unfit.

I cant remember the last time we had a fit side, a lot of our players look overweight and are blowing out their arses after an hour.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Competitive football brings sharpness. We are building well. I would hate us to be firing on all cylinders now and fade towards the end of the season. Most teams who build up are about 90% fit for the start of the season to ensure they dont burn out!

Guest Geordiesned

What's the crack with the giant screen Derek said he was going to put up? You'd have thought it would be up by now if they were going to put it up. Also, why have they taken the clocks away from the 4 corners?

What's the crack with the giant screen Derek said he was going to put up? You'd have thought it would be up by now if they were going to put it up. Also, why have they taken the clocks away from the 4 corners?

Aww boo, I like those clocks. Hate having to check my phone/watch if I'm bothering to wear it to see how long we've been playing.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Today also underlined how screwed we are if we're shorn of Jonas and Routledge.

:sadnod:

As erratic and as ultimately shite as he can be, I'd rather LuaLua started on the flank then Ryan Taylor or Guthrie. At least LuaLua can cause a bit of panic out wide.

Guest neesy111

Lua Lua is another one who should be nowhere near a PL squad.

you'd think no one in our squad was PL quality (apart from colocini) that is PL quality

You can rarely determine how a season is going to pan out by pre-season friendly results, but 2 things stand out.

Firstly, PSV are no mugs - they are usually amongst the title chasers in Holland and that fact that they appear to have given us a chasing in the first half is no surprise ; Dutch teams are very good at passing and movement and against what is a pedestrian midfield they would look even better than they are.

It is to be hoped that SAF DOES allow Cleverly to join NUFC on loan because he will give us a bit more craft, movement and goal-threat from midfield which is patently lacking now - the likes of Lua Lua are NOT going to make it in the Prem, so the sooner people get that one fixed in their minds the better.

We don't even know if Vuckic will either, because he is still only 17 and not ready.

Hard to tell how much better the side might have been with Jonas to work the flanks - nobody else really up to it apart from Routledge. As I have said ad nauseam, Lovenkrands will be lost for long periods in PL games and is NOT up to scratch now, if he ever was...

The only striker with any threat remains Carroll - Ameobi will turn it on now and again(but not again and again..!), but Carroll is the only one PL defences will worry about so unless there is a new striker signed(which looks highly unlikely), we are going to struggle for goals...

All of these things we knew before playing PSV and the result against them matters not a jot.

The only time I felt that a pre-season result was a decent indicator of what might happen in the following season was when KKs newly-promoted 1993 side went up to Glasgow and beat a decent Rangers team in the last build-up game....lets see what happens this time...!