La Liga - 10/11

Neil
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

None. :aww:

Our lack of depth is usually pointed as our main weakness, something I'd agree on.

But that just highlights another strength. Your 'main' players are seemingly incredibly fit. Very few injury problems.

We are walking on the edge of the razor though. One of Puyol/Piqué goes out for a significant amount of time and we have to put Milito (woeful this season) or an out of position Abidal at CB. One of Xavi/Iniesta drops and we are stuck with Keita (decent player but not a creative force), and we have Bojan as our *only* backup forward.

The signing of Afellay is meant to supplement our options in midfield and the wings.

None. :aww:

Our lack of depth is usually pointed as our main weakness, something I'd agree on.

But that just highlights another strength. Your 'main' players are seemingly incredibly fit. Very few injury problems.

We are walking on the edge of the razor though. One of Puyol/Piqué goes out for a significant amount of time and we have to put Milito (woeful this season) or an out of position Abidal at CB. One of Xavi/Iniesta drops and we are stuck with Keita (decent player but not a creative force), and we have Bojan as our *only* backup forward.

The signing of Afellay is meant to supplement our options in midfield and the wings.

Surprised Afellay hasn't been given more of a role in his few games so far. Don't think he came on last night? Would have thought Guardiola would be keen to give him 20-30 minutes considering the game was won.

We had to sub Puyol out due to a knock and then Xavi because he can't play 90 mins too often these days, so we only had one "bedding in" sub and Guardiola went with Bojan to try to give him some confidence after being criticized a lot lately.

Afellay has looked handy and was the only good thing to come out of the Betis game, but his movement is still out of tune with the rest of the squad. Needs more time to absorb our tactics.

Neil raises a very valid question, why are barcelona players incredibly fit n hardly injured ? Is it because they are well protected by the referee or playing culture? Players like messi twist n turn souch, accelerating n sprinting, yet he seems superman. Ronaldo os the same, but Ronaldo is still injured once in a while. N all barcelona players play regularly

Milito was injured for a long time but I suppose it is an exception.

Our players aren't "incredibly fit and hardly injuried". Iniesta had a horrid injury-ridden season last year (a lot of our improvement in play this year is due to him being back and on form), Xavi had to stop playing for a month early this season due to an achilles problem and body fatigue, Messi missed a few games through a sprained ankle... I'd say that we aren't too different that most other La Liga sides, this is admittedly a league with way less contact than the PL.

There was a list comparing the injuries of several of Europe's top teams last season, we were pretty much average on that regard. Wish I could find it again...

Messi went through specialized conditioning to reduce the injury problems that plagued his early career (he even changed his center of gravity) and has repeatedly credited that for saving his career.

Our players aren't "incredibly fit and hardly injuried". Iniesta had a horrid injury-ridden season last year (a lot of our improvement in play this year is due to him being back and on form), Xavi had to stop playing for a month early this season due to an achilles problem and body fatigue, Messi missed a few games through a sprained ankle... I'd say that we aren't too different that most other La Liga sides, this is admittedly a league with way less contact than the PL.

There was a list comparing the injuries of several of Europe's top teams last season, we were pretty much average on that regard. Wish I could find it again...

Messi went through specialized conditioning to reduce the injury problems that plagued his early career (he even changed his center of gravity) and has repeatedly credited that for saving his career.

And I say this, Puyol is out for a few weeks.

Milito closer to starting :frantic:

f***ing hell, Mourinho's unbeaten home record stretches back 9 years, NINE

that's surely a record?

one that barca will hopefully crush remorselessly in the not too distant future

If there is one manager who can stop Barca, it's Mourinho. He's done it before with an inferior team in Inter imo and he can do it again especially because he has no qualms in playing defensive and hitting Barca on counter. The likes of Ronaldo, Ozil and a fully fit Kaka can tear down any defense on the counter.

that's surely a record?

If there is one manager who can stop Barca, it's Mourinho. He's done it before with an inferior team in Inter imo and he can do it again especially because he has no qualms in playing defensive and hitting Barca on counter. The likes of Ronaldo, Ozil and a fully fit Kaka can tear down any defense on the counter.

He hasn't got the players to stop Barcelona like he did at Inter.

Guest neesy111

that's surely a record?

Is that Barca beat Real 5-0 then only 2 months back.

I don't think last year's Inter was such an inferior team to current Real Madrid imho, particularly given the form of some players. The difference between both squads is basically Cristiano Ronaldo.

Will still be a big challenge to win at the Bernabéu, of course.

that's surely a record?

Is that Barca beat Real 5-0 then only 2 months back.

In Nou camp, I was referring to Bernabeau and the overall title race

Aye, and what did Mou do at the Camp Nou? Certainly not sit deep and hit us on the counter. He played a high line with (timid) pressing. There's some things that Real Madrid can't do. Playing defensive football against us at their turf would be tantamount to sacrilege.

Aye, and what did Mou do at the Camp Nou? Certainly not sit deep and hit us on the counter. He played a high line with (timid) pressing. There's some things that Real Madrid can't do. Playing defensive football against us at their turf would be tantamount to sacrilege.

Especially since the way the title race is going it's looking like a must win, again.

I have seen Mou rehearsing a 3-4-3 lately for some strecthes of Real Madrid games. Wonder if that's what he'll try to unleash on us. It was rather effective against Villarreal who are the closest in La Liga to Barça in style of play.

If he's going to get anything against you he needs a striker, playing Benzema is just a waste of time, chances are at a premium against Barcelona, and he needs 10 chances to score 1.

I'll say it again, I think Messi's playing within himself at the moment. And he still got a goal (albeit a pen) and an assist tonight - maybe I'm just greedy and expecting him to be intergalactically amazing each game.

In fact, IMO I think there's been a conscious effort from Pep at the moment that if the game is won, just save yourselves (due to the CL kicking back in soon).

Barca only went into Top Gear v Real this season.  Every other game it's been 3rd gear best for me, they will always have a gear which no team on this planet has.

I think in the Madrid game one of the commentators had mentioned how the way they've based their training is to peak twice during the season (around the Real fixture) and towards the business end.

A female friend from Uni just texted to say she's watching Barca at the Nou Camp tomorrow, whie visiting her boyfriend.

I want to slap her silly - she has no idea what beauty she's about to see. And no idea of how jealous I am.

A female friend from Uni just texted to say she's watching Barca at the Nou Camp tomorrow, whie visiting her boyfriend.

I want to slap her silly - she has no idea what beauty she's about to see. And no idea of how jealous I am.

I wasn't allowed to take a trip to the Nou Camp last year during the holiday me and my ex went on for my birthday. Because she hates football. She wouldn't have even had to watch any! It was just a tour, that was included in the price of something she wanted to do! But no, we cancelled that part just so we could avoid a football ground. I hate women.

Guest neesy111

When I broke up with my ex she confessed that she lied to me all along and didn't care one bit about Barça. Spiteful b*****

:lol:

The photo of me and my girlfriend my parents have on their mantlepiece is at the Camp Nou. Was a good little tour. Think Barça had just won the Beletti final IIRC. Remember having some craic on with mackem n all who was there, querying when they'd ever made an appearance for a competitive game.