Defensive/holding midfielder....

Ishmael

... we don't have one - of Premiership quality at least.  Fuck off Smith!

Anyway, as a result it's worrying that we haven't seen a strong link appear this summer.  I mean, there have been rumblings of us signing Arevalo, but it seems like agent gossip, or maybe our new transfer policy is doing what it says on the club statement?

Who else shares my fears?  Why isn't there a smiley at hand that can emphasize my worries?

Do we need one?

Not really. It's a myth that a team needs an AM and DM to be successful. It's the defender's job to defend. As long as there's two CMs willing to track back from time to time, we're fine.

Do we need one?

Not really. It's a myth that a team needs an AM and DM to be successful. It's the defender's job to defend. As long as there's two CMs willing to track back from time to time, we're fine.

It's not a myth that every successful team of the modern era has been built around a system that operates with at least one (in some cases 2) player who plays as a shield to the back 4.  Find me one that hasn't.

Although i'm not sure he's classed as a defensive/holding midfielder i think for a £1m fee Nigel Reo Coker could do a decent job for us in the middle of the park,  good tackler and has the "legs" to get around the pitch better than any of our current central midfielders.

Do we need one?

I agree with that last season, it was unnecesary including one.

This season however having one would give us a lot more options. Doesn't even have to be an out and out defensive midfielder, just somebody with legs and physical presence in the centre would do.

Having a DM who sits back, holds position, cuts off supply, and distributes possession makes the game easier for every single other player on the pitch. Having a quality player in this position is essential. Most good teams have more than one capable player here. NUFC, of course, are rubbish and have none.

We're not good enough to play to a system that requires a DM.

You're just thinking of a Barcelona type system.  You need to expand your tactical horizons.

Not really, it's clear as day 4-4-2 is our best bet with Barton and Guthrie in the middle.

Having a DM who sits back, holds position, cuts of supply, and distributes possession makes the game easier for every single other player on the pitch. Having a quality player in this position is essential. Most good teams have more than one capable player here. NUFC, of course, are rubbish and have none.

:thup:

It gives us possibilities beyond a flat 4 in midfield. It would really help the players who are limited physically in our team aswell.

I'm pleased that Hughton seems to have the courage to play Barton and Guthrie down the centre, but yes that does leave us a bit light defensively.

It's a difficult problem to address, because if you bring in a defensive player who can't pass, you've only swapped one problem for another.

Playing three in the middle might work, but then we'd be sacrificing at least one of Jonas and Routledge, and at the moment our wide players are an important part of our attacking threat.

I was hoping that there was something in the Arevalo story - not that I know the player, but on the assumption that he's a good enough all rounder to meet both the defensive and the constructive parts of the anchor role.

So at the moment, I share your concern.

Much prefer 2 'box to box' midfielders in there tbh. We need movement and energy in the middle of the park.

That's exactly the argument for bringing in a player of this ilk surely. Guthrie and Barton don't have energy and Nolan certainly doesn't have either.

Perch could be an option when Simpson/S Taylor get fit.

Aye I'm mental with my not instantly writing players off :lol:

I will get in early this time, Ben Arfa will be shit :pow:

You've got a serious love-in for Best and Perch.

Do we need one?

If we want to play Ben Arfa as an AM in a 4-1-2-1-2, then yes. If we want to play him behind Carroll in a 4-2-3-1 then no.

Conclusion: yes, we need one because a team needs to have different approaches to different games.

Much prefer 2 'box to box' midfielders in there tbh. We need movement and energy in the middle of the park.

That's exactly the argument for bringing in a player of this ilk surely. Guthrie and Barton don't have energy and Nolan certainly doesn't have either.

Someone sitting in front of the 2 central defenders is going to bring movement and energy? Have I missed something?  ???