Aston Villa appoint Alex McLeish as new manager

Fenham Mag

Shame.

The season was pretty horrible, although we put together an excellent finish to end up ninth, but you could see some of the good work Houllier did, and hopefully it will be there to build on.

MON left the club running like something from the 1980s, it really was a fucking mess, such was the short termism of his time with us, and Houllier has done some very good work to change that. It's easy to say it was a dreadful appointment etc etc, but you have to look deeper to see the real impression he left.

At least this time we're looking for a manager at the best time rather than the absolute worst time as that little shit left us in August, and there are some decent candidates around.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6960365,00.html

Aston Villa have described as 'premature' reports that Gerard Houllier will stand down this week on health grounds.

Assistant manager Gary McAllister finished the campaign in charge of first-team affairs in April after the Frenchman was admitted to hospital.

Reports in the Midlands press have stated the 63-year-old will stand down from his position as Villa manager after medical reports revealed it was too risky for him to return to his high-pressured position.

However, Villa have rejected the growing speculation after stating that any reports that Houllier had stepped down are 'premature'.

The former Liverpool manager is currently one-third of the way through his three-year £8million contract after taking over from caretaker boss Kevin MacDonald in September following Martin O'Neill's shock exit.

More to follow...

I still think he will stand down, like.

Mark Hughes I reckon

Can't see him leaving Fulham so soon. Not that I can think of any other respectable potential candidates.

I'm sure I read somewhere he's only on a short contract. It's a stepping stone club, whereas Villa have a mighty backing and a largely better squad. Villa have huge potential still IMO.

Guest Chubby Jason

Reo-Coker has n'Zogbia syndrome and thinks there's a host of top foreign clubs after him.

Guest Chubby Jason

He'd be looking for big money though since he's on a free and such a great player.

Guest MrSundlofer

Aston Villa wanted to keep Reo-Coker as a backup player (defensive midfielder) but he demanded to much in wage. £40,000 - 50,000 p/w.