Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

He had a fair few against a couple of big sides and when teams didn't press him.

Even in good form he'll never be what we need to progress. You play an out and out defensive midfielder under two basic conditions and a side looking to climb the table isn't one of them, imo.

What doesn't help his cause is that his reputation precedes him and that players and referees know this, hence last season against *Everton when Fellaini hit the deck about 3 yards away from Tiote and the referee looks up and sees Tiote in the vicinity so automatically gives a free kick which subsequently is scored from.

* - this is what i remember happening, don't remember Tiote actually putting in a daft challenge (on this occasion)

He does fly into challenges recklessly far too often though

Think its a combination of being found out a bit and being coached into something he's not. Thing is when he came he kept things simple and that was why he was so effective. I remember him being hassled by the Arsenal midfield and still being neat and tidy with the ball so no reason he can't get back to that. No was should he be in the side ahead of Anita at the moment though, he deserves his 1st team place.

Is pretty much what I think. You can't just have physicality in your locker to cut the mustard as a starting top league midfielder. He can pass (simply) when under no real pressure / has his back to the opposition and can run / mark. That's really it. Somebody like Gattuso had so much more to his game apart from sole tenacity.

No wonder the Dutch fans thought we were idiots for treating him like a 'demi god' initially. Mind, to his credit, he played like a king vs Liverpool in Pardews first game and he's been decent against the other bigger sides too, but I think his days here should be ending soon. 

Which Dutch fans?

No need to rewrite history; he was fantastic when he first came in, and I for one back him to refind that level.

Was it not on some Ajax forums after we signed Anita? I know I know.. Ajax fans.. :lol:

Guest neesy111

Tiote's form has been waning for ages.  Even when we finished 5th, I can only think of a few standout performances.

It's been ever since Pardew said he could be the complete midfielder.  He even started taking corners after that ffs.

Think its a combination of being found out a bit and being coached into something he's not. Thing is when he came he kept things simple and that was why he was so effective. I remember him being hassled by the Arsenal midfield and still being neat and tidy with the ball so no reason he can't get back to that. No was should he be in the side ahead of Anita at the moment though, he deserves his 1st team place.

Is pretty much what I think. You can't just have physicality in your locker to cut the mustard as a starting top league midfielder. He can pass (simply) when under no real pressure / has his back to the opposition and can run / mark. That's really it. Somebody like Gattuso had so much more to his game apart from sole tenacity.

No wonder the Dutch fans thought we were idiots for treating him like a 'demi god' initially. Mind, to his credit, he played like a king vs Liverpool in Pardews first game and he's been decent against the other bigger sides too, but I think his days here should be ending soon. 

Which Dutch fans?

No need to rewrite history; he was fantastic when he first came in, and I for one back him to refind that level.

Was it not on some Ajax forums after we signed Anita? I know I know.. Ajax fans.. :lol:

Like basing your opinion on Ben Arfa on a mackem's insight on the matter.

Tiote's form has been waning for ages.  Even when we finished 5th, I can only think of a few standout performances.

It's been ever since Pardew said he could be the complete midfielder.  He even started taking corners after that ffs.

That is forgotten a lot of the time honesty felt we performed better more often with Cabaye and Guthrie.

Although he did have some outstanding performances.

context means nothing to tiote's form apparently - he's to be judged in total isolation - everyone take note

Context? :lol: You're highlighting a season in which we finished 12th and totally disregarding the rest of his career.

actually i'm not, but carry on it never usually stops you

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bimpy474

He should have one job, protect the back four. But Pardew's tactics and Tiote's own lack of common sense mean that's exactly the one thing he doesn't do.