Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

He also needs to be used in fewer games. No point whatsoever in him playing against the likes of Fulham and Soton at home. Benefits nobody but the opposition.

Can't see Pardew playing Anita or Marveaux instead of Tiote or Perch in many/any games.

Me neither if I'm honest. I'd have Marveaux ahead of him in half of our remaining fixtures, personally.

I probably would too, I think Cabaye, Sissoko and Marveaux/Anita can work out the defensive aspect of the game between them.  Should basically be picking the midfield based on form alone for the majority of games and Marveaux/Anita are pretty unfortunate not to be in the side at the minute.

He won't be brilliant if he tries to do it all on his own and picks up a booking every week.

You'd hope that won't be the case though.

Jesus Lord give me strength ...

Why would he try to do it on his own with Cabaye and Sissoko in the midfield with him?

People are being way to harsh with Tiote. At least he isn't a coward, shirking responsibility. He actually tries to make things happen.

Not his fault he was being played in a midfield two with inexperienced partners while Cabaye was out.

He's at his best in a midfield three, and will give pass the ball well, and on time when people show for it.

Have people forgotten how bad our movement was when Ba and Cisse were being played up top in a 4-4-2?

I will bump this thread continuously to show up all you doubters when he comes back and is outstanding!

You and Tiote, man. :lol:

He won't be brilliant if he tries to do it all on his own and picks up a booking every week.

Why would he try to do it on his own with Cabaye and Sissoko in the midfield with him?

People are being way to harsh with Tiote. At least he isn't a coward, shirking responsibility. He actually tries to make things happen.

Not his fault he was being played in a midfield two with inexperienced partners while Cabaye was out.

He's at his best in a midfield three, and will give pass the ball well, and on time when people show for it.

Have people forgotten how bad our movement was when Ba and Cisse were being played up top in a 4-4-2?

I will bump this thread continuously to show up all you doubters when he comes back and is outstanding!

I think there's a lot of truth in this, and ill be thinking along the same lines until the 4th minute of his return and he picks up a daft yellow.

Check out my other post, our views are similar but I'm just saying he needs to keep it simple and cut out the silly bookings.

I have faith he can do that given the players around him, but it's not a given by any stretch of the imagination.  Some of that comes down to how he's instructed to play.  The coaches need to drum it in to him to tackle (cleanly) and pass again and again.  It's a slight concern that Pardew's quotes on the matter suggest he wants Tiote to be a more complete midfielder, but perhaps he'll revert to sense now he has other players to give us those qualities going forward.

Please stay in South Africa.

Who was it that you said was shit last time? Can't remember.

Sammy wasn't it? Think I was very right then and still do now. He's shit like his brother.

Marveaux as well by the looks.

Really? quotes please? Wasn't too impressed when he first game back but can't remember saying he was shit.

Tioté's best form for the club came in a 4-4-2 playing alongside Kevin Nolan, no less.

Cabaye has essentially been playing as a DM in the last two games and he's made as many tackles per game as Tioté this season (stats, yay). I think he's pretty adequate doing the majority of the defensive work (alongside someone else) in a lot of games.

Just show him videos of his debut and attempt to get him to play like that again. As countless others have mentioned you really want him beginning from a position in front of the back four, running around like a dog chasing and harrying everything that comes into his zone, winning the ball back and then retaining possession with exceptional passing accuracy. I don't mind a Cruff turn here and there if it retains possession for us like it used to. I believe a Tiote doing this is the best defensive midfielder in the division these days, although I'm sure some won't agree.

Of course he's going to commit fouls playing the way he does, but there's no excuse for him to commit silly ones as regularly as he has been.

In terms of reasons for his poor form: I can't help but feel he's let things go to his head a bit and has become too "Hollywood" for somebody playing in his position on the pitch. I also think there's plenty of evidence pointing towards the issue of Pardiola trying to "expand his game" into more of a complete midfielder type of role, which has ultimately harmed his general performances. Maybe he felt that was a necessity in a 4-4-2, though? Not so much now, surely?

Still love him and his attitude, but I can appreciate why there's been so much criticism of him.

Please stay in South Africa.

Who was it that you said was shit last time? Can't remember.

Sammy wasn't it? Think I was very right then and still do now. He's shit like his brother.

Marveaux as well by the looks.

Really? quotes please? Wasn't too impressed when he first game back but can't remember saying he was shit.

My mistake, saw you saying he was a 'fucking gutless cunt' and didn't realise it was sarcasm. Sorry. :embarrassed:

The end of that Ivory Coast game was a canny microcosm of Cheick Tiote, btw.

Numerous stupid fouls when his team are chasing the game, daft little instances like not retreating from free-kicks (only harming his own team when about to lose 2-1) and generally charging around like a bull in a China shop.

However, there was also a great moment where he won the ball back and pinged a perfect pass out wide to Yaya Toure and where one of his balls into the box from a deeper wide-right position (something of a speciality of his) almost led to an equaliser but for poor control by Lacina Traore.

I don't think it can be argued that he lacks intelligence, so surely he'd benefit from more rigid tactical instructions/positioning?

Tioté's best form for the club came in a 4-4-2 playing alongside Kevin Nolan, no less.

Cabaye has essentially been playing as a DM in the last two games and he's made as many tackles per game as Tioté this season (stats, yay). I think he's pretty adequate doing the majority of the defensive work (alongside someone else) in a lot of games.

That's the thing. Give me Tiote's 20 best games for the club and 15 of them came when Nolan was alongside him getting forward and he was there covering the exposed defence. I'm a tad biased because I've always believed strongly in midfielders that can win the ball, keep it and get forward, with the odd exception.

That's the thing. Give me Tiote's 20 best games for the club and 15 of them came when Nolan was alongside him getting forward and he was there covering the exposed defence. I'm a tad biased because I've always believed strongly in midfielders that can win the ball, keep it and get forward, with the odd exception.

The thing that annoys me most is that back then under Hughton where Tioté was playing alongside Nolan he still kept everything as simple as possible. Win the ball, pass it to a teammate. He was excellent and that's why he was linked to other clubs. Under Pardew when Tioté has been playing alongside a less creative player in a two he's clearly been instructed to be the creative player. It's bonkers.

I will say about Tiote that his persistent fouling must stop.

However, I do feel that the worse we play, the more frustrated he gets, and the more likely he is to do something foolish.

The guy is too emotional, and that''s a big part of it. At least it all means something to him though right?

He'll revel in a team playing the stuff we have been since the new boys joined.