Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Would it not be that loyalty bonus crap that we had to pay out to Owen & Viduka for generously seeing out their contracts?

It says we would be entitled to compensation...not Taylor.

Guest Roger Kint

Would it not be that loyalty bonus crap that we had to pay out to Owen & Viduka for generously seeing out their contracts?

It says we would be entitled to compensation...not Taylor.

Yeah i editted that when i realised haha

It's funny how when it suits, people are ready to believe Ashley's propaganda. Make the player out to be greedy and with the public's attitude to player's wages, you get them onside immediately.

Figures can be manipulated to tell which story you want to promote.  And Ashley has a habit of moving the goalposts from day to day.

I want Taylor to stay but I think this situation is being deliberately manipulated by the Club to make Taylor out to be the bad guy.  He may be asking too much, who knows but that should be a private matter between him and the club.  If contract negotiations have been broken down then surely they should just tell the player that they will inform other clubs that they are are willing to listen to offers instead of leaking information to the press.

Unfortunately Ashley has a history of sullying the reputations of former players and managers but once out there mud sticks, and whatever the outcome or the truth, many fans will now associate Taylor with being greedy.

Surely transfer lists are public by definition? The press will obviously know who is on them.

I agree we need to take all this with a pinch of salt though, with claim and counter-claim in the press.

It doesn't matter anyway, if Taylor really hasn't rejected £40k then he'll sign, if he has rejected it he won't sign. We'll know soon enough.

We have absolutely no idea what he has or hasn't been offered, but once again people are happy to swallow the line put out by the media which can have come from nowhere else but the club.

Are some people under the delusion that he's been put on the transfer list so that now clubs know he's for sale and we'll somehow get more for him because of it? Do you think the likes of David Moyes are daily scanning the list to see who they can go after? That's not how transfers work these days, and especially not from the club where "There will be no comment from the Board regarding the sale of players. ". We will have had agents contacting any and every other club we think might be interested from the minute the decision was made to sell.

Look at the list man:

http://www.givemefootball.com/pfa-transfer-list

It's free transfers and released kids. There's only 2 players on there who the club's want a fee for.

This is purely for PR reasons by the club to make Taylor out to be the bad guy so supporters wont be pissed off if we sell him, and you can see by the reaction on here how easily and successfully it works. It also helps to make sure he has little choice but to take the terms of any club that comes in with an acceptable offer. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to learn the club had already agreed a fee with another club prior to this.

But yeah, footballers should be paid less than nurses because their job isn't as important. If they loved every club they played for like they're supposed to they should be happy to play for their return bus fare to the ground. Give all the money to the owners I say.

UV, I said that we didn't know what has really happened, that was my main point.

Hope I didn't spark a rant by mistake. Careless talk costs lives.

Yours was just the latest post using made up numbers to reach a decision.

if Taylor really hasn't rejected £40k then he'll sign, if he has rejected it he won't sign. We'll know soon enough.

You're assuming he's been offered £40k.

UV, I said that we didn't know what has really happened, that was my main point.

Hope I didn't spark a rant by mistake. Careless talk costs lives.

Yours was just the latest post using made up numbers to reach a decision.

if Taylor really hasn't rejected £40k then he'll sign, if he has rejected it he won't sign. We'll know soon enough.

You're assuming he's been offered £40k.

Aye, only hypothetically though. Obviously I couldn't list all the hundreds of possible circumstances that may or may not have happened.

Maybe he's been offered £41k, maybe £38k... maybe a lot of things. What I meant was that the result will speak for itself, either he'll accept a contract within the new wage structure or he won't.

Guest schmuck

He doesn't deserve a pay rise, he hasn't improved since he got the last one

Exactly, he hasn't improved as a player, proved his fitness, had a host of clubs come in for him or given outstanding service since his last bumper contract (which was based on him being an English youth product with potential rather than anything he'd actually done in the first place). I can't think of another reason you'd give a player a raise.

[

Maybe he's been offered £41k, maybe £38k... maybe a lot of things. What I meant was that the result will speak for itself, either he'll accept a contract within the new wage structure or he won't.

It really is as simple as that. Maybe he can get more somewhere else in which case fair enough he should move, but at this stage the club is probably justified in not handing out big wages to a squad which has just come out of the championship.

[

It really is as simple as that. Maybe he can get more somewhere else in which case fair enough he should move, but at this stage the club is probably justified in not handing out big wages to a squad which has just come out of the championship.

:nods:

[

Decent squad player, no better

:nods:

Guest neesy111

We have 4 CB's this is what they are allegedly on:

Taylor - Currently 30-35k

Colocini - 60-75k

Campbell - I think around 25k

Williamson - 15k (from wage budget last season)

That's quite a bit of wages onto 2 positions with two backup players in their, Taylor to me is 4th choice now and if we can get a decent fee for him and get a good backup defender (i.e. aaron hughes style to cover backup) then I'll be happy with that.

If his contract runs to its conclusion, United would be entitled to compensation for the England Under-21 international, who has not played a league game in 2010 due to a series of injuries.

From the Journal.

Not sure what they mean by that. Compensation for his value or because he was injured?

Compensation because he's under the age of 24?

Guest neesy111

If his contract runs to its conclusion, United would be entitled to compensation for the England Under-21 international, who has not played a league game in 2010 due to a series of injuries.

From the Journal.

Not sure what they mean by that. Compensation for his value or because he was injured?

Correct

Might be able to get something decent, City for 3.5M + future payments for Daniel Sturridge

We have 4 CB's this is what they are allegedly on:

Taylor - Currently 30-35k

Colocini - 60-75k

Campbell - I think around 25k

Williamson - 15k (from wage budget last season)

That's quite a bit of wages onto 2 positions with two backup players in their, Taylor to me is 4th choice now and if we can get a decent fee for him and get a good backup defender (i.e. aaron hughes style to cover backup) then I'll be happy with that.

Don't think you could say Taylor is fourth choice.

He's arguably our best CB when fit... Colo has a terrible season in the prem in his recent CV, Campbell is ageing and Williamson looks good but has a lot to prove.

I don't want us to break our wage structure for Taylor, but I'd rather keep him than sell him still.

From the Journal.

So even if he's out of contract we get compensation? Sounds like a sweet deal. Not too fussed if he stays then. Maybe by the end of this season we'll be in a position to offer a better contract assuming he's earned one.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/nufc/Taylor-distraught-at-transferlisting.6496996.jp?

Taylor distraught at transfer-listing

Published Date: 26 August 2010

By Miles Starforth

STEVEN Taylor has been left distraught by his transfer-listing at Newcastle United. But the defender – and manager Chris Hughton – are hopeful his future still lies at St James's Park.

Taylor was yesterday placed on the transfer list at the club, ahead of the closing of the transfer window on Tuesday.

The 24-year-old's agent, Paul Stretford, had been in protracted talks with United's hierarchy over a new deal, with the player having just a year left on his present contract.

Newcastle abruptly ended negotiations and transfer listed him yesterday, with leaked figures suggesting Taylor had been demanding a basic wage of between £60,000 and £69,000, though his camp have indicated he is more than happy to sign a deal for substantially less than that if it has incremental performance-based rises built into its four-year term.

Taylor, sidelined with a shoulder injury, was at a Prince's Trust event when he heard of the move through the media.

"Steven's very disappointed at the manner he learned of the fact he had been placed on the transfer list," Stretford told the Gazette.

"He's equally disappointed the club has seemingly chosen to draw a line under the contract negotiations that had been taking place.

"Only a few days ago I made it clear to the club that we wished to continue negotiations, and that we were willing to take on board their comments from our last meeting.

"This is the last thing Steven wanted – he's been at the club man and boy, and he doesn't want to be involved in a public dispute with the club he loves.

"He's quite happy to accept people at the club will earn more than him – that's football.

"He's not been given a chance to complete that process before being placed on the transfer list, but equally he wants to be rewarded for playing a part in that success, just as he is happy to accept adjustment to his contract for failure.

"Steven had the opportunity to leave when the club went down, but he was the first player to come out and say he wanted to stay and help the club back where it belongs.

"He doesn't want to see a job half done. It's a club Steven loves, and he wants to be part of a successful Newcastle United side.

"The club have their job to do, and while we don't agree with their position, or the manner in which they have made this matter public, we respect the position of the people at the club."

The Gazette understands the disparity between the two parties centres on incremental increases in the terms of the proposed four-year contract, based on the success of the club and the player.

Taylor's happy to agree a new deal which would still see him earn considerably less than the highest-paid defender, though his agent is keen for it to rise over the length of the deal should United stay in the Premier League.

And Stretford vigorously disputes the leaked £60,000 figure, saying: "The figures put out to sections of the media are misleading. They're a headline number that isn't consistent with our position.

"They've been used in an effort to create a division between Steven and the fans, and certainly neither Steven nor I were given the opportunity to discuss their validity prior to broadcast."

Meanwhile, Hughton is still confident middle ground can be found, and last night insisted he was desperate for Taylor to stay at the club after Newcastle's Carling Cup win over Accrington Stanley.

"Most are aware of what went out, and that would be because of a breakdown in the contract talks between the two parties, but we're very hopeful it can be resolved," Hughton told the Gazette.

"Steven Taylor's a player we would very much like to keep at the football club, and we'd like to think it could be resolved."

Who to believe?  Known liars Ashley & Llambias or known liar Paul Stretford?

In July 2002, while Rooney was with Everton, agent Paul Stretford encouraged Rooney and his parents to enter the player into an eight-year contract with Proactive Sports Management. However, Rooney was already with another representation firm at the time, while Stretford's transaction went unreported to the FA, and he was thus charged with improper conduct. Stretford alleged in his October 2004 trial that he had secretly recorded boxing promoter John Hyland (an associate of Rooney's first agent) and two other men threatening and attempting to blackmail him for an undisclosed percentage of Rooney's earnings.

In court following these allegations, Stretford's case collapsed due to evidence that conflicted with his insistence that he had not signed Rooney, and on 9 July 2008, he was found guilty of "making of false and/or misleading witness statements to police, and giving false and/or misleading testimony." In addition, the contract to which Stretford had signed Rooney was two years longer than the limit allowed by the FA. Stretford was fined £300,000 and banned from working as a football agent for eighteen months

Guest guinness_fiend

The club has a history of spouting lies like this.  I wish they would stop it and show some class for a change.  This statement was so obviously for the fans, nothing to do with alerting other clubs.  

Did you not read Ikri's post?

The club has a history of spouting lies like this.  I wish they would stop it and show some class for a change.  This statement was so obviously for the fans, nothing to do with alerting other clubs.   

It's all about pushing Stretford to stop fucking around, this has been going on for over a year now. We needed a decision before the transfer window, but they clearly chose to hold us over a barrel and threaten to walk away for nothing.

Going public has forced their hand. Good move in my opinion.

Judging by the tone of the comments from Taylor's agent, I'd say the club's strategy has worked well.  Taylor's on the defensive now in the negotiations process.  And ultimately that's what this is all about - a player who's coming to a difficult realization: his value to the club isn't what he thought it was.  That's difficult to swallow, but more and more players will be dealing with it soon enough.  Either he accepts a contract in keeping with his value or he leaves.  Regardless of your feelings about either side, I think we all can agree that a sensible wage structure is vital, and Steven Taylor isn't good enough to make the club rip up that structure for his contract.

As many have written in this thread, this is going to be a difficult transition for a lot of our players.  Taylor just happens to be the first.  I doubt he's going to be the last.

The only reason Taylor gets the support he does is because of this whole 'local lad' bollocks that's still spouted by some. Aye it's nice to have some passion and genuine feeling towards the club but that should be flashing money at a player who will be struggling to get into our first team.

On current form Williamson looks far more solid and reliable than Taylor, I feel much more confident with him partnering Colo. Taylor is progressing into his mid twenties and he still hasn't ironed out those daft mistakes in his game that were present, perhaps a change of scenery will do him good. Personally I'd keep him as our number one right back but that remains a pipe dream with Perch and Simpson at the club.

We still need to replace him though. It only takes and injury to Mike or Colo and we're fucked, I'm sure Hughton is fully aware of this too.