Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Random. Just popped down the page and there this was. Good news. I don't think there's anything between him and Williamson ability wise, I just think Williamson complements Colo a lot better, and vice versa. Colo and Taylor are too similar I feel, neither particularly dominant in the air or fast, but are all round solid defenders. Williamson adds other qualities.

Hope Pards goes back to Willicinni tomorrow.

Williamson isn't better in the air, like. His height just gives the impression that he is.

It's not even worth arguing about anyway. Williamson kissed the shirt goodbye when he got suspended at Bolton, and he won't be picked above Taylor while Pardew is in charge.

Taylor is stronger, faster, better in the air, a better tackler, more comfortable on the ball and a better passer. But at least Williamson plays like a centre-half and not some mentalist charging around causing problems for the rest of the team.

He can direct his headers properly, instead of right to an opposite players feet or just to the edge of the box which Taylor likes doing.

Then how do you explain the fact that Taylor is a far bigger threat offensively?

He can direct his headers properly, instead of right to an opposite players feet or just to the edge of the box which Taylor likes doing.

Then how do you explain the fact that Taylor is a far bigger threat offensively?

How is that a fact?  Their senior career statistics certainly don't back up that assertion.  Williamson's not been far a few times this season either - I wouldn't even say that one is that much better or worse a threat than the other tbh.

Williamson knows how to defend better than Taylor, he's much better when it comes to holding a line.  Defending isn't about having good individual defenders, it's about having a good defensive unit and we'll not have that with Taylor in the middle.  I don't like having a go at Taylor because he cares for the club, that doesn't change the fact that we're better off without him in the centre of defence.

Williamson knows how to defend better than Taylor, he's much better when it comes to holding a line.  Defending isn't about having good individual defenders, it's about having a good defensive unit and we'll not have that with Taylor in the middle.  I don't like having a go at Taylor because he cares for the club, that doesn't change the fact that we're better off without him in the centre of defence.

agreed. in many ways Taylor is the more naturally talented of the two but he just frightens me when i watch him play.

as for aerial prowess, Williamson has showed a weakness in this area. sure he can direct his headers and all that, but unlike Taylor he has no leap or power to get to the ball first, which you sometimes need, especially at set-pieces or in a congested penalty area. might be why you constantly see him resorting to cheap pulls and knocks during these situations.

How is that a fact?  Their senior career statistics certainly don't back up that assertion. 

They do.

How is that a fact? Their senior career statistics certainly don't back up that assertion.

They do.

Not according to Soccerbase.

Williamson is more disciplined and his positioning is better. He holds the line well and keeps it simple. He make mistakes too obviously but he's canny enough for us atm.

Taylor's really rash and a bit of a wild card. That can sometimes be a good thing but I like my defenders to be a bit boring and dull but steady and consistent. I'd still like to see all 3 (Colo, Williamson and Taylor) all play but with Taylor as RB where he's got a bit more freedom to go on the rampage and overlap Barton.

Williamson is more disciplined and his positioning is better. He holds the line well and keeps it simple. He make mistakes too obviously but he's canny enough for us atm.

Taylor's really rash and a bit of a wild card. That can sometimes be a good thing but I like my defenders to be a bit boring and dull but steady and consistent. I'd still like to see all 3 (Colo, Williamson and Taylor) all play but with Taylor as RB where he's got a bit more freedom to go on the rampage and overlap Barton.

I'd rather keep Simpson at rightback, he's developing well.

My original point stands. Unless of course you'd argue that Lee Hughes is a bigger goal threat than Frank Lampard. The level of football played at has to be taken into consideration.

Nobody (including you until proven wrong) said shit about the level other than 'senior career'. :rolleyes:

Nice straw man btw.

My original point stands. Unless of course you'd argue that Lee Hughes is a bigger goal threat than Frank Lampard. The level of football played at has to be taken into consideration.

Nobody (including you, until proven wrong) said s*** about the level other than 'senior career'. :rolleyes:

Nice straw man btw.

Why would I have to? It's pretty obvious from the stats that Taylor is a far more proven goal threat. :lol: