Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Why such a depth of hate for a player who is still on nowhere near what, say, Alan Smith is still coining in, and has done a pretty decent job for us all in all?

Before you start, Taylor was excellent for us last season and at least stood up to be counted the year before.

Cue the revisionist sheep.

Some of our "fans" badly need some perspective in their lives.

probably something to do with how he plays - he's titus mark 2, has clear weaknesses that cant be addressed in training i.e. they're psychological

how he acts - constantly lecturing others on the pitch while being rubbish and those fucking ridiculous dives and holding his stomach when the ball hits him

his attitude - he's been talking himself up for years and regularly blabs about which clubs want him and how he'll play for england, if i know this its not surprising that the talk is pretty widespread, newcastle's a small town.

above everything else, do you know what. he's just not good enough.

Guest neesy111

He hardly played in the championship for starters and secondly our defence got better when Williamson was signed.

Why such a depth of hate for a player who is still on nowhere near what, say, Alan Smith is still coining in, and has done a pretty decent job for us all in all?

Before you start, Taylor was excellent for us last season and at least stood up to be counted the year before.

probably something to do with how he plays - he's titus mark 2, has clear weaknesses that cant be addressed in training i.e. they're psychological

how he acts - constantly lecturing others on the pitch while being rubbish

his attitude - he's been talking himself up for years and regularly blabs about which clubs want him and how he'll play for england, if i know this its not surprising that the talk is pretty widespread, newcastle's a small town.

Never heard him say he will play for England. Never heard him say which clubs are after him.

Your idea of rubbish is different from mine. I watched us when we were genuinely crap.

Moving this to a more relevant thread as I thought it deserved some defence...

Because we all love pictures, here's a wonderful one of his 'defending' for Everton's first goal...

http://i54.tinypic.com/2uppo39.jpg

Joke.

It's certainly comical that someone would post a still picture of a player out of his position as evidence of poor defending.

Watch a video of it and go back to the start of the move. He has to cover the centre because all the other defenders are over on the left or in the case of Williamson covering Saha.

http://i.imgur.com/16ZXQ.png

http://i.imgur.com/wzXx7.png

http://i.imgur.com/49Tbp.png

http://i.imgur.com/sVrsc.png

http://i.imgur.com/s2cHn.png

http://i.imgur.com/QZq5g.png

If you could do a montage like that absolving Taylor of blame for the other dozen times he was found wanting and then backed off and let the man past him, then I'd be really impressed.

Pretty much nailed on analysis.  The Taylor hate on here is ridiculous.

Were you there on Saturday? Genuine question, because if you were, I'd love to know which Taylor you were watching. The goal was only one of the many many times he was caught out at fullback.

I do always find it amusing that backing off is always regarded as bad defending.  Not quite as cut and dried as that.

It is when you run passed Arteta (by a good 10 yards) then back off like he is taking a freekick and the ref is telling you to move.

Were you there on Saturday? Genuine question, because if you were, I'd love to know which Taylor you were watching. The goal was only one of the many many times he was caught out at fullback.

I was there.  I didn't think Taylor played well by any stretch of the imagination.  But as per the analysis above, you can see exactly why Taylor had to do what he did.

how he acts - constantly lecturing others on the pitch while being rubbish

Never heard him say he will play for England. Never heard him say which clubs are after him.

Your idea of rubbish is different from mine. I watched us when we were genuinely crap.

alright then, he's not good enough to be first choice at the level nufc are at in 2011

I do always find it amusing that backing off is always regarded as bad defending.  Not quite as cut and dried as that.

It is when you run passed Arteta (by a good 10 yards) then back off like he is taking a freekick and the ref is telling you to move.

I agree - that was utterly bizarre.  That can't be justified by any amount of stills.

But he isn't a full-back.

But he isn't a full-back.

But he's still a defender. Williamson managed to cover Taylor perfectly fine in periods of the first half. It's not like he got near the touchline and went "Hang on a minute, what do I do here?!"