Accrington Stanley 2 - 3 Newcastle Utd - 25/08/10 - post match reaction from p20

Dave

Krul needs games unfortunately. I worry his loyalty will kick him in the teeth if Forster accelerates past him development wise, simply because he's getting games.

Harper will have to pick his game up if he's going to keep Krull out of the team.  I'm a big fan of Harper because I think he's been a better keeper than the number of appearances for us would suggest but he looks like he's on the way down now.

Aye, I definitely think Harper will be gone/knocked down the pecking order by next season. It could happen earlier though, like you say.

Almost let it get the better of him in the second half, when he got into handbags with whoever it was. But he didn't bottle anything, no. There's something about him, though, that always gives me the impression he thinks he's better than he is, and that temperament, one way or another, is what's holding him back.

I've got no problem with a player sticking up for himself when he's getting a bit of stick, he didn't go over the top, he just let the player know that he wasn't going to just take it. 

Ranger seems arrogant which isn't always a bad thing as long as it's controlled.

Aye, fair enough.

Wow, looking at the team, sounds like a great win! Well done the youngsters.

Yep, I think we're underappreciating how well the youngsters coped. Even Vuckic and Donaldson, who were probably underpar didn't exactly disgrace themselves. There wasn't really a bad performance.

With a bit of luck we could have had a few more aswell.

i enjoyed that game,  cracking cup tie,  thought Accrington were decent and top marks to there fans for the Sir Bobby banner.  Thought Tav played pretty well bearing in mind he's not a natural centre half and Kadar was pretty solid for his first game bearing in mind he missed pre season.  Donaldson and Vuckic were ok in the middle of the park without being outstanding, don't think Haris is a centre midfielder mind.  Ranger did well and looked a handful while Lua Lua was very bright and deserved his MOTM award.  Apart from takin there goals well i thought both Shola and Loven were quiet. 

Wow, looking at the team, sounds like a great win! Well done the youngsters.

Yep, I think we're underappreciating how well the youngsters coped. Even Vuckic and Donaldson, who were probably underpar didn't exactly disgrace themselves. There wasn't really a bad performance.

With a bit of luck we could have had a few more aswell.

Yes, in fairness, they matched Accrington for effort and didn't allow themselves to be bullied.

Hughton got this one spot on and the kids didn't let anyone down. The entire first XI are nicely rested for Saturday (as opposed to Wolves who played for 2 hours last night) and Hughton got to see 90 mins of some of the squad who he'll undoubtedly have to call on at some point this season. Accrington were competitive and had a pop but the lads dealt with them admirably.

Hope Hughton gives some of them another run out regardless of who we draw in the next round. :)

It was definitely Ferguson.

In that case I owe Ryan Taylor an apology, I was cursing him.

I too thought it was Raylor first time round, but I distinctly remember it going to the replay and seeing the childlike Ferguson potter out.

Hughton got this one spot on and the kids didn't let anyone down. The entire first XI are nicely rested for Saturday (as opposed to Wolves who played for 2 hours last night) and Hughton got to see 90 mins of some of the squad who he'll undoubtedly have to call on at some point this season. Accrington were competitive and had a pop but the lads dealt with them admirably.

Hope Hughton gives some of them another run out regardless of who we draw in the next round. :)

I thought that Shola playing was pointless, other than that I agree.  I'd give all of the kids games in both cups but possibly add a few more experienced players next to them to help bring them on.

I thought that Shola playing was pointless, other than that I agree.  I'd give all of the kids games in both cups but possibly add a few more experienced players next to them to help bring them on.

It's 90 mins under his belt and it also gets him off the mark though. Ditto for Lovenkrands I suppose.

Guest Heneage

Krul 7- Made 3 very good saves, onequestionable decision to come out in the first half but other than that he showed more examples of his good shot stopping.

Taylor 8 - Fantastic goal, and just used this more as match fitness than a real test for him.

Tavernier 7- Played well and complimented Kadar very well, a loan in League 2 might be nice.

Kadar 8 - Very steady and was impressed with his ability at one on one's. Showed why he's first team.

Ferguson  7- Looks very steady, bit small but can always bulk up as he gets older.

LuaLua 8*- MOM, started slow, but as time went on and space opened up he showed what he can do, good solid runner and will probably make the bench Saturday.

Donaldson 6- Just very average, I thought he was a striker? It made little difference really, in the second half when he should have been getting it down he seemed content to just kick long.

Vuckic 6- Bit like Donaldson but he's only 17 so there's still years to develop. We know he has talent, so it's just a shame he couldn't show it tonight.

Ranger 7- Good performance but his attitude stinks.

Ameobi 7- Good finish, and showed some nice close control did little else.

Lovenkrands - 7 Nice finish and header for Shola.

Positives;

-LuaLua, was impressive and should be in and around the first team.

-Donaldson & Ranger showed potential clubs what they can do with a view to a loan.

-Tavernier and Ferguson look like they have potential

-Good team performance all round, and a good evaluation of the fringes of the squad.

Negatives;

-Ranger looked petulant and seems no closer to fixing his attitude.

-Vuckic didn't really get into the game and show us what he can do.

-2nd half passed Donaldson by completely and while he's steady he doesn't look good enough for central midfield.

-Conceded 2 goals.

It's 90 mins under his belt and it also gets him off the mark though. Ditto for Lovenkrands I suppose.

Shola doesn't seem to improve with games and that's why I thought it was pointless. 

Krul 7- Made 3 very good saves, onequestionable decision to come out in the first half but other than that he showed more examples of his good shot stopping.

Taylor 8 - Fantastic goal, and just used this more as match fitness than a real test for him.

Tavernier 7- Played well and complimented Kadar very well, a loan in League 2 might be nice.

Kadar 8 - Very steady and was impressed with his ability at one on one's. Showed why he's first team.

Ferguson  7- Looks very steady, bit small but can always bulk up as he gets older.

LuaLua 8*- MOM, started slow, but as time went on and space opened up he showed what he can do, good solid runner and will probably make the bench Saturday.

Donaldson 6- Just very average, I thought he was a striker? It made little difference really, in the second half when he should have been getting it down he seemed content to just kick long.

Vuckic 6- Bit like Donaldson but he's only 17 so there's still years to develop. We know he has talent, so it's just a shame he couldn't show it tonight.

Positives;

-Donaldson & Ranger showed potential clubs what they can do with a view to a loan.

-Good team performance all round, and a good evaluation of the fringes of the squad.

Negatives;

-2nd half passed Donaldson by completely and while he's steady he doesn't look good enough for central midfield.

-Conceded 2 goals.

What was wrong with his attitude tonight?

Shola doesn't seem to improve with games and that's why I thought it was pointless. 

He scored though and we won - was some point in playing him then

Granted, and he never will tbh. Shola's Shola. He can score goals against shite though which was precisely the job that needed doing tonight. Him playing, and scoring,  gave Carroll the night off etc. We're going to play him this season so we may as well try to keep him 'sharp'. Well, as 'sharp' as Shola gets...  :lol:

Positives;

Negatives;

-Conceded 2 goals.

What was wrong with his attitude tonight?

He reacted when someone squared off at him and pushed him.

To be fair the majority of older players might have reacted the same. Didnt see anything other than a great attitude for the rest of the game though.