Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

Not quite sure people are downplaying the ability to hold the ball up well.  It's a skill and not a skill that all players have - so all this talk of it being the bare minimum we should expect is, quite frankly, nonsense.

he doesn't do it well though (how many times yesterday did his first touch allow him to be robbed or he was so concerned pushing back the defender behind him that the defender slipped round the side to take it) and on the few occasions he does, after laying the ball off he walks towards their box. even when andy carroll is playing shite he gets towards where he should be as quick as possible after laying it off.

Not quite sure people are downplaying the ability to hold the ball up well.  It's a skill and not a skill that all players have - so all this talk of it being the bare minimum we should expect is, quite frankly, nonsense.

I could give you plenty of championship and league 1 strikers who can hold up the ball decently.

Go on then.  Then also tell me how many of them have scored goals in the Premiership and how their goalscoring record compares to Shola's in the Championship.

Honestly think we could get a decent replacement for him from League 1 for about 500k.

He's offering f*** all and looks overweight. May well be a lovely bloke but needs to be shown the door in the same way that Lovenkrands does. Simply not good enough. 

I'm generally an advocate of athletes using sensible weight training to get stronger and faster, but it's simply obliterated his balance, his agility, his unpredictability, and made him even slower. His frame and his lungs can't take it and as a consequence his general mobility and workate would make your average 45-year-old pub player blush.

Agreed. I can understand him trying to adapt his game as he approaches 30+ but it really seems to have... well... not worked.

Guest neesy111

I could give you plenty of championship and league 1 strikers who can hold up the ball decently.

Go on then.  Then also tell me how many of them have scored goals in the Premiership and how their goalscoring record compares to Shola's in the Championship.

Jon Parkin, Jason Scotland, Marvin Emnes etc

How many premiership goals?  I'd bet they get more than 4 a season which Shola averages (he average's 3.9 a season currently).  Shola has been the luckiest footballer to have ever played in the premiership as I can bet 90% of other teams would have gotten rid and he'd be playing in lower championship which is his level.

Guest neesy111

The fact of the matter is that we should not be relying on him being our 3rd striker and that ultimately is the club's fault.  The only reason he's still here is that he's cheap and loyal.

How many premiership goals?  I'd bet they get more than 4 a season which Shola averages (he average's 3.9 a season currently).  Shola has been the luckiest footballer to have ever played in the premiership as I can bet 90% of other teams would have gotten rid and he'd be playing in lower championship which is his level.

That list completely invalidates any point you had.

Its not even a case of people making Shola a scapegoat, he is just genuinely not good enough to play Premiership football.

Most of the time he just ambles around the pitch looking uninterested, even when the ball is within 5 yards of him.  His lack of anticipation and willingness to get back onside yesterday was an absolute disgrace; I'm by no means a big fan of Best, but he worked his bollocks off yesterday (even staying onside consistantly for a change!), only to be taken off to leave Shola on to waddle around and occasionally defend a set piece (if he managed to "run" back in time).

Yesterdays game proved exactly why we need a new striker (or strikers), and if Pardew/Ashley are happy to try and scrape our way through Jan/Feb until Demba returns to avoid spending money then it just shows how little ambition we really have.

Watched the goal over a few times this morning.

How well does Shola do to make something out of nothing as Jonas ball in to him was so difficult  he should have no chance of doing anything with it.

Guest neesy111

The point you made in the first was cringeworthy anycase.

Shola isn't match fit?  Despite starting 2 of the last 3 matches.  If that isn't someone match fit then I suspect Danny Guthrie wasn't match fit either and won't be for the rest of the month.

Aside from the fact that one of these 2 games he's started (in the last 3) was yesterday's game and that he only played 75 minutes of the Man Utd game - when he was clearly knackered and got brought off for Best to take over the chasing around duties, your point is a tad random.

I'd be suprised and impressed if Guthrie was back to 100% match fitness after being out through injury, he did very well yesterday to get through the whole game but he's always had decent stamina and has a vastly different build to Shola.

Unlike super fans like yourself who always have a go at others for even suggesting they played a bad game.  Your such a hypocritical twat.

Always a mark of someone who is incapable of reason when they consistently resort to slagging other people off, particularly when the insult doesn't even make sense with their point :lol:

How does me questioning the predictable abuse that certain posters have towards our players make me hypocritical?

I've never said players are immune from criticism, far from it, but the desperation to come out with the most over the top insult is head-scratching. Are you that in need of attention that you have to come up with another outrageous statement? It's not as though we lost either :lol:

Eh?  That I said that holding the ball is a skill?

Or asking you to actually back up your wild assertions about League 1 and Championship strikers being better than Ameobi with actual names?  And then watching you flounder around and name Jon Parkin et al?

Guest neesy111

The fact is Stu people have been criticising Shola for 8-9 years now at the club now for being a lazy git and those criticisms haven't changed much in that 8-9 period, so criticism after another lazy driven performance from himself isn't really OTT.

Guest neesy111

Eh?  That I said that holding the ball is a skill?

Or asking you to actually back up your wild assertions about League 1 and Championship strikers being better than Ameobi with actual names?  And then watching you flounder around and name Jon Parkin et al?

Maybe I went a bit OTT on the championship players thing :lol:.

Look at what madras said, holding a ball is only as good if you keep possession after it.  Shola give's it away cheaply most of the time especially last 15 mins yesterday.

The fact is Stu people have been criticising Shola for 8-9 years now at the club now for being a lazy git and those criticisms haven't changed much in that 8-9 period, so criticism after another lazy driven performance from himself isn't really OTT.

I'm not solely referring to your posts in the Shola thread when I'm saying you're OTT, but you knew that already O0

You keep banging this "if you're not with us, you're against us" mantra - i.e. if you're not slagging something off, then you must have blind faith/be an apologist/be an arselicker/etc.

JH made a comment about it being 300+ appearances for people to judge him; amazingly, his abilitilies, role in the team and form have all changed dramatically over this period.

He's never been a first-choice player for us, although he was doing reasonably well in this role down in the Championship before he got injured, he's a squad player who has done a reasonable job for us over the years.

Regardless of his history with the club - remember that he put his long-term health on the line when he took a series of pain-killers to get him through the striker crisis  before he finally had his his operation, we don't pay him mega-bucks, so I do wonder why people expecting something more exciting from him.

He's been doing the same kind of thing over the past couple of seasons, is half-decent in the air and unpredictable when on the ball. He flashes for a bit, then goes back to what some people see as 'lumbering' around the pitch. He's got a languid style, but I think his work-rate goes unseen by many because of the way he carries himself. You said you've never seen him move, but I can guarantee he was going full pelt to get his second against the mackems last season...it just doesn't look like that because of his running style.

As I said, he's not a world-beater, he's just a squad player who is doing a job while Ba is away. He'll probably retire as a one-man club, so long as he can keep the coaching staff happy with his performance.

At the end of the day, for all the managers we've had, only KK actively tried to get rid of him and we all know how sound his judgement is...

JH made a comment about it being 300+ appearances for people to judge him; amazingly, his abilitilies, role in the team and form have all changed dramatically over this period.

lol wrong

Guest neesy111

I'm not solely referring to your posts in the Shola thread when I'm saying you're OTT, but you knew that already O0

You keep banging this "if you're not with us, you're against us" mantra - i.e. if you're not slagging something off, then you must have blind faith/be an apologist/be an arselicker/etc.

He's never been a first-choice player for us, although he was doing reasonably well in this role down in the Championship before he got injured, he's a squad player who has done a reasonable job for us over the years.

Regardless of his history with the club - remember that he put his long-term health on the line when he took a series of pain-killers to get him through the striker crisis  before he finally had his his operation, we don't pay him mega-bucks, so I do wonder why people expecting something more exciting from him.

He's been doing the same kind of thing over the past couple of seasons, is half-decent in the air and unpredictable when on the ball. He flashes for a bit, then goes back to what some people see as 'lumbering' around the pitch. He's got a languid style, but I think his work-rate goes unseen by many because of the way he carries himself. You said you've never seen him move, but I can guarantee he was going full pelt to get his second against the mackems last season...it just doesn't look like that because of his running style.

As I said, he's not a world-beater, he's just a squad player who is doing a job while Ba is away. He'll probably retire as a one-man club, so long as he can keep the coaching staff happy with his performance.

At the end of the day, for all the managers we've had, only KK actively tried to get rid of him and we all know how sound his judgement is...

Some valid points in there I agree.  Like I said a few posts back it's the clubs fault as to why he is our 3rd choice striker despite having 30M in the bank.

The main issue I feel is his drop in form after having a very good game as the drop is vast.

As much as I was crictical of Shola yesterday, It's the manager that plays him, knowing full well what he can and can't do.

Sure Shola has got a hypnotising device like. Maybe he whips his cock out and his bell-end has a unique swirling pattern, which controls minds.

Guest neesy111

As much as I was crictical of Shola yesterday, It's the manager that plays him, knowing full well what he can and can't do.

Sure Shola has got a hypnotising device like. Maybe he whips his cock out and his bell-end has a unique swirling pattern, which controls minds.

:lol:

lol wrong

Promising youth player - unknown potential.

Decent youngster - some potential.

Striker - still hopeful of some improvement

Striker - doing a job for the club during an injury crisis

Injured player - out forever/about to retire

Squad player - on the fringes of the squad, likely to leave

Striker - brought back during an injury/club crisis

First choice striker - in the Championsip

Mythical Injured player - in the Championship

Challenging for a first team spot Striker - in the Championship

Squad player - in the Prem