Would you take 17th place right now ?

Guest palnese
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So the point is survival or relegation. Well dur, worst thread ever.

Well why do you keep posting in it? :lol:

Because I thought this forum was better than having threads discussing the footballing equivalent of being asked whether I'd take living over being dead.

You've missed the entire point of the thread then.

So explain to me then.

"Would you take 17th place right now?" - i.e given the chance, would you rather snap up 17th place now and definitely be safe for next season, or would you take a chance on us finishing higher and leave it wide open (i.e. with a chance we could still go down).

Ok then Noel, I can't see anywhere in the original post saying I had to gamble 17th place or finishing higher or relegation. :lol:

It's implied man. What the fuck do you think "Would you take 17th place right now?" means? It's a simple fucking question.

Because the forum is about debating, etc. so when I read your post a while back saying, "This season is all about survival so 17th would be perfect for me", I found it surprising that's all and disagreed...isn't that what the forum's about?

Prize money aside, there's little difference between finishing 17th and finishing 8th. No European place up for grabs etc. Granted, it looks a little more appealing to prospective new signings to finish just outside the European berths than just avoiding relegation, but if, at the start of the season, you'd hope to avoid relegation then why would you change your hopes and expectations when it's been such an inconsistent opening quarter?

Granted, we've had a couple of very good wins away (Everton and West Ham) and two unbelievable results at home (Villa and the mackems)...but let's not forget the Blackpool, Stoke City and Wigan games. It's so far being a massively inconsistent first quarter of the season. So far we've been lucky with injuries too, long may it continue.

I'd absolutely take 17th place.

Prize money aside, there's little difference between finishing 17th and finishing 8th. No European place up for grabs etc. Granted, it looks a little more appealing to prospective new signings to finish just outside the European berths than just avoiding relegation, but if, at the start of the season, you'd hope to avoid relegation then why would you change your hopes and expectations when it's been such an inconsistent opening quarter?

Granted, we've had a couple of very good wins away (Everton and West Ham) and two unbelievable results at home (Villa and the mackems)...but let's not forget the Blackpool, Stoke City and Wigan games. It's so far being a massively inconsistent first quarter of the season. So far we've been lucky with injuries too, long may it continue.

the difference between 8th and 17th is that the higher up you are, the better you are. i'd much much rather finish 8th than 17th.

re inuries......ben arfa and harper out long term before we are a quarter way into the season .

the difference between 8th and 17th is that the higher up you are, the better you are. i'd much much rather finish 8th than 17th.

re inuries......ben arfa and harper out long term before we are a quarter way into the season .

Injury-wise I meant losing those players we'd really struggle to replace. Tiote for instance, Carroll, Enrique, Colo.

And as for being better the higher up you finish, it doesn't matter. In the greater scheme of things, I'm talking about avoiding relegation. Although it'd be nice to finish 8th, so long as we stayed up I'd easily take 17th as I said at the start of the season.

I don't know. Still think taking 17th is a defeatest Big Sam style mentality. Even an inconsistent season can bring about safe mid table. 17th still signals to me that we've been worse than the players are capable of.

Guest Stephen927

We've been here before after a convincing win, only to be disappointed with the performance in the following games.

Take each game as it comes, survival is paramount but we shouldn't settle for that.

I don't get the argument that a few places doesn't make any difference. Who is a player going to sign for? A team that's just slogged to 17th and just saved their PL status, or a team up at around 12th/13th, who have a couple of good players and they feel they can help them kick on into the top half of the table?

It means you've had a relatively simple season, not mind-blowing, but no worries. Better players are going to come to you in the hope they can help you kick on and push for the next echelon of the Premiership.

I'd be happy with mid-table, anywhere above around 15th. As long as we're not biting our nails on the last day. Still saying I wouldn't take 17th, and I havn't said any different all season.

I don't get the argument that a few places doesn't make any difference. Who is a player going to sign for? A team that's just slogged to 17th and just saved their PL status, or a team up at around 12th/13th, who have a couple of good players and they feel they can help them kick on into the top half of the table?

It means you've had a relatively simple season, not mind-blowing, but no worries. Better players are going to come to you in the hope they can help you kick on and push for the next echelon of the Premiership.

I'd be happy with mid-table, anywhere above around 15th. As long as we're not biting our nails on the last day. Still saying I wouldn't take 17th, and I havn't said any different all season.

What he said.

Voted no, still no.

Suprise suprise.... Yes.

A draw against Arsenal and victory against Blackburn and ask me again - I might just change my mind this time.

It's not as simple as that though. IMO we'll get beat off Arsenal because they'll pass us off the park, but there are only a couple of teams in this league who can do that to us. Everyone else we have a fair chance of getting 3 points off so why settle for 17th? BTW I'm not being swayed by one result either, it was more the manner of performance and the effectiveness of the formation we adopted which gives me optimism. I think we'll give a lot of teams a hard time.