Would you take 17th place right now ?

Guest palnese
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Have been a staunch 'yes' from day 1 but going to Arsenal and winning is significant. It basically proves we can pick up points in just about any of the next 27 fixtures.

Two big home games to come and we need to be filling our boots and start thinking of the top 10. It's now a 'no'. We can have a really good season and not get involved with the relegation scrap. :)

I just hope for your sake you can win the games you should be winning. The only thing stopping me thinking you could well finish in the top 10 this year is how you perform when the impetus is on you to go and win the game. The Villa and Sunderland games were superb results don't get me wrong, but I honestly think they were slightly out of sync from what the norm will be - Villa and Sunderland were worse than anyone could have predicted. Not to take away the fact you played very well in both like. These next 2 games are a perfect acid test as to how you'll do this season, IMO.

You build form around winning the games like Blackburn/Stoke at home, we're not going to get build form around winning at Everton and Arsenal every week - those results won't continue and when they go, we need the home form to keep that momentum going.

Yep, hence why these 2 games I think will give a very good indication of how you'll fare for the rest of the season.

I for one can't see us losing against both and Blackburn and Fulham tbh. I think we're looking at at worst two points from those two games, with four being a realistic target. We're in good form now, certainly better than both Fulham and Blackburn, we should be able to pick up points against them. I know the same can and will be said about Stoke and Blackpool, I think they were more fluke results rather than Villa/Sunderland/Everton/West Ham.

How do you mean?

We've consistently shown this season against clubs supposedly better than us that we can win (Villa, Everton, Arsenal, City bar a dodgy ref). I think in the long run as well that we'll win more at home than lose.

I for one can't see us losing against both and Blackburn and Fulham tbh. I think we're looking at at worst two points from those two games, with four being a realistic target. We're in good form now, certainly better than both Fulham and Blackburn, we should be able to pick up points against them. I know the same can and will be said about Stoke and Blackpool, I think they were more fluke results rather than Villa/Sunderland/Everton/West Ham.

How do you mean?

We've consistently shown this season against clubs supposedly better than us that we can win (Villa, Everton, Arsenal, City bar a dodgy ref). I think in the long run as well that we'll win more at home than lose.

We've consistently shown this season that we can't get the tactics/mentality right against those clubs supposedly worse than us [/devils advocate]

How do you mean?

I had just finished a three paragraph long post explaining it, but Chrome shut down just as I pressed post :lol: Can't be arsed typing it again, but the basic gist of it is that I think we are better than the results showed against Blackpool and Stoke and that Hughton has learnt from those games.

How do you mean?

We've consistently shown this season that we can't get the tactics/mentality right against those clubs supposedly worse than us [/devils advocate]

Not tried this 4-4-2 against one of them yet

How do you mean?

Sunderland? I don't care what the pundits or mackems says, they are not "supposedly better" than us.

Guest guinness_fiend

My answer was and remains "yes". The priority has been and should be to stay up, pick up minimal injuries and keep hold of our best players for next season.

Hindsight is wonderful. A few good games doesn't male us the next Chelsea. Given how tight the league is, a few losses could see us hovering near the bottom of the table in no time.

If we keep playing well and climb up the league, brilliant. But don't think for one moment that a newly promoted club staying up is an achievement that should be taken lightly, especially since we were one of the league's whipping boys less than two years ago.

I can't see why everyone is talking about 4 points. We need to take the 6 points, end of story. We lost to Blackbool and Stoke at home, those were wins so now we should make that up by winning 5 straight!

We'll only get three though if Tiote gets another yellow.

Guest Roger Kint

Am still waivering around 'yes' simply due to the run of games up til the new year. We need a minimun of 4 points this week at home, its going to be hard to pick up much in the following few games imo

I recognise the daftness of the following comment but..

If we had of beaten wigan, stoke, and blackpool as we were expected to do, and got a point at man city that we probably deserved we'd be 1st  :pow:

:toke:

5 points from the next 3 games would be a good return. Win one and draw one of the home games, and a point at Bolton. Think we could nick 1 or 2 more than that though.

A draw at Bolton would be a really good result IMO, Coyle's done brilliantly with them so far. The only reason why our next two games are so important for me is because after them we've got two very difficult games coming up.

I recognise the daftness of the following comment but..

If we had of beaten wigan, stoke, and blackpool as we were expected to do, and got a point at man city that we probably deserved we'd be 1st  :pow:

:toke:

:explode:

I'd take it still Obviously with the last few games I would hope for more, but this season avoiding relegation has to be our #1 aim.  All it will take is injuries to a few key players and we could be in trouble - still haven't played Chelsea, Spurs or Liverpool yet either.

Didn't know where else to put this.

This season                  Relegation season

Man United                    0-3                              1-1

Villla                                6-0                              2-0

Wolves/Boro                  1-1                              0-0

Blackpool/Hull                0-2                              1-2

Everton                          1-0                                2-2

Stoke                            1-2                                2-2

Wigan                            2-2                                2-2

City                                1-2                                1-2

West Ham                      2-1                                1-3

Sunderland                    5-1                                1-1

Arsenal                          1-0                                0-3

Points total:                    17                                9

Goal difference:              +6                                -5

Decent improvement (if I've counted correctly).