Newcastle United 0 - 2 Blackpool - 11/9/10 - post match reaction from page 20

JH

You don't just look at the amount of shots, you look at the game as a whole. Some teams are lucky to win, and some teams are unlucky to lose. It's been like that forever, and it will be like that forever. Saying something else is utter bullshit. Football in general is a game of luck unless you have eleven Messi's on the pitch.

This is tosh - 'some teams are lucky to win..' I think it was Jack Nicklaus who said 'the harder I practice, the luckier I get'...and that sums it up. SOMETIMES a team will be 'lucky', but in NO way were Blackpool lucky. They fought for their win and in the first half were the better side. They outfought Newcastle in midfield, were quicker to the ball and forced Harper into a better save than ANY Gilks made.

When they tired in the second half, we got more of the game but still couldn't create any REALLY clear chances - those that did arrive were often the result of a lucky bounce or bad defence from them.

If you had been a neutral and didn't know who was the Title-winning side from last season, you would have thought it was Blackpool in the first half. Hardly lucky ....if your theory stood up, teams like Chelsea and Man U must have an awful lot of Ju-Jus in their lockers !

Charlie Adams is getting a lot of praise over Barton but I just watched the match and, although Barton did have a bad match, Charlie Adams is still no where near on the same level as Barton.  Barton could be playing those types of passes if we had more mobile players in front of him making those runs.  It's hard to play defense-splitting passes when there's no one even making those runs.  I think this will be remedied when BA's on the pitch (and when Loven is on as well) but only time will tell.

We have far more to worry about in our squad than Barton.

We gave Adams the space and time to hit those passes and the runs we easy for them down the right as Perch kept going missing.

We made enough chances to win the game and on another day we may have [ut them away, I would be a lot more worried if we were not creating chances.

We gave Adams the space and time to hit those passes and the runs we easy for them down the right as Perch kept going missing.

We made enough chances to win the game and on another day we may have [ut them away, I would be a lot more worried if we were not creating chances.

Correct.

Perch was booked again making it four bookings in as many matches.  He is basically one booking away from a suspension.

Options at right back are kind of limited...........  R.Taylor would probably be the likely shoe in but, is he any better?  I don't think so........

Having finally got round to watching the game yesterday I'm now in a better position to comment. We weren't 'unlucky' we 'wouldn't of won on another day' we got everything we deserved. Absolutely nothing.

The first half performance was completely unacceptable. The midfield trio of Smith, Barton and Nolan were dominated by Adam, when we got the ball the wingers were ineffective and Carroll looked completely isolated. Frankly Blackpool thoroughly deserved their lead. It was an unmotivated, effortless half that I've come to accept under previous regimes.

You get in at half time the manager needs to react, change the game, give those dilly dallying a kick up the arse. However second half more of the same, another lacklustre display. It was evident it wasn't working but Hughton just waited and waited. When he finally made the changes it was too late. We bossed the final periods of the game and squandered a couple of fine chances as well as forcing a decent save out of Gilkes but where was this pressure and flair from the start?

On the whole Blackpool deserved their win. This should be Smiths final game for us and in an ideal world Nolan will be axed too, whether Hughton would be in favour of dropping his newly appointed captain remains to be seen. I was expecting defeat at Everton before Saturday but I still want to see a reaction: a bit of fight and flair. Hughton will earn his money this week because those involved in the spineless display of the first seventy minutes need a serious kick up the arse.

Guest neesy111

Having finally got round to watching the game yesterday I'm now in a better position to comment. We weren't 'unlucky' we 'wouldn't of won on another day' we got everything we deserved. Absolutely nothing.

The first half performance was completely unacceptable. The midfield trio of Smith, Barton and Nolan were dominated by Adam, when we got the ball the wingers were ineffective and Carroll looked completely isolated. Frankly Blackpool thoroughly deserved their lead. It was an unmotivated, effortless half that I've come to accept under previous regimes.

You get in at half time the manager needs to react, change the game, give those dilly dallying a kick up the arse. However second half more of the same, another lacklustre display. It was evident it wasn't working but Hughton just waited and waited. When he finally made the changes it was too late. We bossed the final periods of the game and squandered a couple of fine chances as well as forcing a decent save out of Gilkes but where was this pressure and flair from the start?

On the whole Blackpool deserved their win. This should be Smiths final game for us and in an ideal world Nolan will be axed too, whether Hughton would be in favour of dropping his newly appointed captain remains to be seen. I was expecting defeat at Everton before Saturday but I still want to see a reaction: a bit of fight and flair. Hughton will earn his money this week because those involved in the spineless display of the first seventy minutes need a serious kick up the arse.

Very well put.  Quite frankly the 1st half performance wasn't on at all.

Guest neesy111

4-5-1 at home against a relegation rival is not going to look favourably as well to the fans about Hughton's ability to manage in the premiership.

4-5-1 at home against a relegation rival is not going to look favourably as well to the fans about Hughton's ability to manage in the premiership.

4-5-1 or 4-3-3. Who cares about formations?

Its more about how he instructs the players to play.

We are far better in a 451, 433 or 4411 than a straight 442 tbh.

Guest neesy111

4-5-1 or 4-3-3. Who cares about formations?

Its more about how he instructs the players to play.

We are far better in a 451, 433 or 4411 than a straight 442 tbh.

Yeah with lumping the ball up to Carroll who's flick on's go to no-one.  That's great tactics that tbh.

I think, from the way High Five's talking, he means it's not the formation as such that's the problem. It's the way he's instructing the players to play in that formation. 4-5-1 was great against Villa, but they weren't just belting it up to Carroll all game. This time, in the same formation, they were a shambles. It's not the formation itself that's the problem, but the way they're playing in that formation.

Guest neesy111

...but they weren't belting it up to Carroll all game they were just shite.

They did quite a few times.  Again this goes back to the problem of picking Nolan in this formation.

Barton didn't help either. He looked way off the pace. A lot of our play in previous games went through him, he gave the ball away countless times yesterday. When your midfield is being as ineffective as it was it will encourage the long ball game but for me it wasn't partiuclarly evident yesterday.

Perch was booked again making it four bookings in as many matches.  He is basically one booking away from a suspension.

Options at right back are kind of limited...........  R.Taylor would probably be the likely shoe in but, is he any better?  I don't think so........

At least he can cross a ball though. Second half after Routledge went off Perch had 2 great opportunities to get a good ball over and fluffed them both. Awful tackle for his booking as well.

At least he can cross a ball though. Second half after Routledge went off Perch had 2 great opportunities to get a good ball over and fluffed them both. Awful tackle for his booking as well.

Yeah, at the moment given what we have, i would rather play R.Taylor than Perch. Im not sure about his defending skills, but he can certainly deliver a better cross than Perch, and he could also take our free-kicks. Im not sure if given the time and opportunity, Perch would be able to improve his delivering skills, but at the moment he is just isnt good enough. When Simpson is back fit, I rather have him.

Not too much wrong with Barton's dead ball play this season so far, at least his corners get past the first defender!  Not like our "deadball expert" Ryan Taylor who barely gets the ball over 4 ft from the floor and straight to the first defender!

The thing is, I can't see Ryan Taylor making more than one mistake a game leading to a goal.  But I can easily see Carroll getting two assists off of him.  If Guthrie's not playing out wide, you really need someone who can put in a decent cross.  I'll always remember Raylor's ball to Shola at Reading.  He wasn't expecting to have to hit it, but then just whipped a beauty in.

I hope that Saturdays game is seen as the reality check it should be. Blackpool have the temporary top flight impetus, which means they may well beat teams in the bottom 6. As we are VERY much a bottom 6 team, we shouldn't be surprised they beat us.

With a team containing a lack of genuine premiership quality in some areas, we'll struggle this season.