Newcastle United 0 - 2 Blackpool - 11/9/10 - post match reaction from page 20

JH

The thing is, I can't see Ryan Taylor making more than one mistake a game leading to a goal.  But I can easily see Carroll getting two assists off of him.  If Guthrie's not playing out wide, you really need someone who can put in a decent cross.  I'll always remember Raylor's ball to Shola at Reading.  He wasn't expecting to have to hit it, but then just whipped a beauty in.

The primary job of a full back is being able to defend, Ryan Taylor is hopeless at it.

Barton didn't help either. He looked way off the pace. A lot of our play in previous games went through him, he gave the ball away countless times yesterday. When your midfield is being as ineffective as it was it will encourage the long ball game but for me it wasn't partiuclarly evident yesterday.

All true - in the previous 2 games, Barton was at last, beginning to look a decent PL midfielder, but as you say, he was poor for large parts of the game on Saturday.Totally nullified, along with Smith and Nolan,by Blackpool's midfield esp Adam who is far from quick but a good passer of the ball.

I hope this was a one-off for Barton but I'm not yet convinced.

Barton was great during the Villa game though. Every player has their day. And unfortunately for Barton, last Saturday was one of those days.

I thought Barton was dreadful. I'm not a fan anyway though, our most overrated player.

This.

Far worse than Nolan and Smith imho.

Absolutely no way was he worse than them.

However I agree he was off the pace aswell and so it is little wonder we lost with a midfield like that on the day.

Barton had a poor day, but the ball for Williamson and another good chance for Carroll were both created by him. Added to that he had a great chance himself.

If Williamson wouldn't have hit the post and if Carroll would have scored and Barton himself as well - we wouldn't be talking about "poor Joey Barton" but about our "man of the match and midfield maestro Joey Barton".

That's just how close it is in football.

Like Mourinho always said: "Details decide in football."  :snod:

We weren't 'unlucky' we 'wouldn't of won on another day'

We hit the post & were through one on one three times man before Carrolls chance at the end. We werent unlucky no, but blackpool were very lucky to play us on a day we had such a poor standard of finishing. On another day we put 4 in. Some of you go to far the other way when trying to put across what you think is a balanced pov.

It wasnt our best performance no, we still had more than enough chances to win it easily.

We weren't 'unlucky' we 'wouldn't of won on another day'

We hit the post & were through one on one three times man before Carrolls chance at the end. We werent unlucky no, but blackpool were very lucky to play us on a day we had such a poor standard of finishing. On another day we put 4 in. Some of you go to far the other way when trying to put across what you think is a balanced pov.

It wasnt our best performance no, we still had more than enough chances to win it easily.

blackpool had the ball in behind our defence a good few times and were caught out by poorly timed runs more than any planned offside trap, they scored twice and craeted through good play the single other clearest chance.

blackpool had the ball in behind our defence a good few times and were caught out by poorly timed runs more than any planned offside trap, they scored twice and craeted through good play the single other clearest chance.

It is a bit worrying how he (Hughton) doesn't seem to be able to notice when his midfield is getting bypassed for large sections of the game. It was crying out for a change at half-time, and arguably should have been shuffled a bit in the first half.

Their first goal was a pen & the 2nd came in the final mins when we had one at the back which they still nearly wasted. The through ball which produced the Harper saves was their best piece of play (No clearer than Nolans either), beyond that they made poor runs because they are poorer players. Its not undeserved in anyway is it. Our midfield was poor first half, their defence was bad in both. Somehow they deserved it more because of that.

Their first goal was a pen & the 2nd came in the final mins when we had one at the back which they still nearly wasted. The through ball which produced the Harper saves was their best piece of play (No clearer than Nolans either), beyond that they made poor runs because they are poorer players. Its not undeserved in anyway is it. Our midfield was poor first half, their defence was bad in both. Somehow they deserved it more because of that.

their poor runs were the equivilent of bartons finish and numerous other finishes. they were better than us,more balanced and we didn't actually do anything creative (williamsons header a ball just lumped in,bartons a fortunate deflection back into his path, carrolls a goalmouth scramble after another fairly aimless high ball into the middle.)

I really hope we're not going having to suffer the whole "Player X is fucking shite and should never play another game" tedium after every game we lose this year. Because there's going to be a fair few of them.

I know we were well below par but the over reaction is just that. Plus the tantrum of numerous fans walking out when Campbell scored the second. I noticed at Everton who were 3-1 down after 90 minutes still had a full ground. SJP would have been half empty if we'd been in the same situation. It's really important that the fans stick with the players this year.

I really hope we're not going having to suffer the whole "Player X is fucking shite and should never play another game" tedium after every game we lose this year. Because there's going to be a fair few of them.

I know we were well below par but the over reaction is just that. Plus the tantrum of numerous fans walking out when Campbell scored the second. I noticed at Everton who were 3-1 down after 90 minutes still had a full ground. SJP would have been half empty if we'd been in the same situation. It's really important that the fans stick with the players this year.

:thup:

It was a hugely disappointing performance and result but it's very early in the season and hopefully we'll learn from it. Apart from Chelsea and Arsenal nobody's really got going yet.