Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Deserves lots of credit today again. He really seems to up his game when there's actual competition. Was helping out as usual in defence, but some of his runs were brilliant, and he did incredibly well for Ba's goal. His place in the starting line-up is unquestionable right now.

I have given this lad a lot of stick over the years but during the game today it really hit home how important he is. He is our Park/Kuyt, not the perfect player but his workrate is exceptional and he carries the ball so well his contribution is exceptional. He also looks a lot better than he did even a year ago which is reflected by his attacking contributions over the last couple of games.

Had a love/hate relationship with the lad during his time here but he is very much in the love category at the moment.

I have given this lad a lot of stick over the years but during the game today it really hit home how important he is. He is our Park/Kuyt, not the perfect player but his workrate is exceptional and he carries the ball so well his contribution is exceptional. He also looks a lot better than he did even a year ago which is reflected by his attacking contributions over the last couple of games.

Had a love/hate relationship with the lad during his time here but he is very much in the love category at the moment.

Reality hits you hard bro.

I think this guy has been out best player this season so far.

There have been quite a few outstanding performers, Krul,Colo,Raylor,Cabaye,Ba to name a few,but your point would be very difficult to argue against.

Raylor :lol: He's coped. Very much helped by two terrific CB's and Jonás.

Jon, don't compare Jonas to Kuyt please.

I know it's hard, especially with all the scouting Roeder continues to do but both are essential hard working wide players that teams have and we just have to take pleasure from the fact that ours is dreamy.

He seems to have improved with each season he has been here which is good as some players often get progressively worse (arshavin) I have far more confidence now that when he is running at people and cutting in that his final product could be a decent cross or shot whereas before 8 out of 10 times you knew it would be poor.

Is he 27 now? Maybe he's a late bloomer :)

I personally think he's playing better because we have better players in the team. Our CM partnership is better than last year's and thus our ball retention is much better, so we're playing the game in the opposition's half, and Jonas is receiving the ball in better positions. Last year he sometimes was dropping to almost the halfway line to pick up possession. For our equaliser he picked up the ball in lots of space and was able to run at Walker right away. I think this makes a difference to his effectiveness. Give him time and space and he will make something happen. Allow him to be pressured and he'll only be able to help keep you possession whilst being triple-teamed by their right back, right mid and center mid. He'll only get better when we get some more fluency into our attack and control even more of the ball :thup:

Is it not having Enrique behind him or having competition for his place that has got him playing so well?

He's been excellent for most of the season.

Interesting point the first one mind. How many times in the past have we seen Jonas maybe hold the ball up waiting for Enrique to make the overlapping run and giving it to him? Now though, he seems to be more prepared to have a go himself.

Good assessment Beren.

To add, I think even for his foibles, Obertan is a big part too as we're genuinely offering width on both sides meaning for most of the time teams can't double/triple up on our left hand side thus givin the greyhound more space to cause havoc.

I personally think he's playing better because we have better players in the team. Our CM partnership is better than last year's and thus our ball retention is much better, so we're playing the game in the opposition's half, and Jonas is receiving the ball in better positions. Last year he sometimes was dropping to almost the halfway line to pick up possession. For our equaliser he picked up the ball in lots of space and was able to run at Walker right away. I think this makes a difference to his effectiveness. Give him time and space and he will make something happen. Allow him to be pressured and he'll only be able to help keep you possession whilst being triple-teamed by their right back, right mid and center mid. He'll only get better when we get some more fluency into our attack and control even more of the ball :thup:

Once Ben Arfa is established in our team we'll see more magic from Jonas. Loved seeing them link up in the short time they've had on the pitch together this season. Love seeing quality players like them who aren't afraid to run at the opposition.

Reality hits you hard bro.

Lol brilliant!

Makes mistakes and runs in to brick walls, but is finally delivering more end product. Very strong performance yesterday - but I'd still like to see him on the right with Marveaux on the left.

Would love to see that given a go but hard to see Pardew making two big changes to a settled team that's doing so well.

Aye, guy playing arguably his best football since we signed him three years ago, let's move him to a different position. :lol:

arguably the same goes for raylor ?

I'd say so tbh, Santon in for Simpson at RB would be what I'd look to do in the short term.

Long term I'm sceptical of Raylor's ability to be a consistently good full back, and generally I prefer a left-footed player at left back and a natural right-footer at RB, but while he's doing well I don't think you take him out of the line-up.