Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

We'll not be playing him at fucking left-back again though, will we? He'd likely come on to shore things up the middle of the park. Derby games are hard work and like it or not, Pardew will be looking to 'close out' the result by 70-75 minutes.

We'll not be playing him at fucking left-back again though, will we? He'd likely come on to shore things up the middle of the park. Derby games are hard work and like it or not, Pardew will be looking to 'close out' the result by 70-75 minutes.

I'd rather not even picture that scenario. We know how it generally ends up at the SOS.

Jonas is a good option for the role Pilko is talking about. It's pretty much all he's good for really. Slowing the play down, keeping possession. He can hold it up, to a degree, in the final third. Can also win a header or two when we inevitably start punting it long in the final section of the game. I'd rather he came on than Sammy or Cisse in a scenario where we're narrowly in the lead and need to close the game out. I'd probably rather have Obertan on n'all, tbh.

I'd rather we just smashed the life out of them and keep going until the final whistle, but you're right these games are usually tight and they usually get a deflection off of someone to nick a point. Jonas would be okay to come on and use his energy to win some free kicks and put the all important tackle in.

Jonas is a good option for the role Pilko is talking about. It's pretty much all he's good for really. Slowing the play down, keeping possession. He can hold it up, to a degree, in the final third. Can also win a header or two when we inevitably start punting it long in the final section of the game. I'd rather he came on than Sammy or Cisse in a scenario where we're narrowly in the lead and need to close the game out. I'd probably rather have Obertan on n'all, tbh.

Sorry, but I don't agree with this at all. He's become woeful at keeping the ball as well, he can't go on the sort of runs he did when he first arrived, at best he might win a free kick, because we sure as hell don't want him to attempt to pass the ball. He's one of the clumsiest tacklers I've seen as well, which means he's always close to giving away a free kick. Hope to fuck we don't have to see him on the pitch on Sunday, he's easily one of the worst players in our squad.

He's had a shit season like everybody else in his squad, but I would back him to improve. Not ready to write him off yet, and for me he's still a valuable squad member, even if he shouldn't be in the first team unless we play the big guns, where his energy could be vital.

Guest icemanblue

He's had a shit season like everybody else in his squad, but I would back him to improve. Not ready to write him off yet, and for me he's still a valuable squad member, even if he shouldn't be in the first team unless we play the big guns, where his energy could be vital.

:thup: Did well when he came on against Cardiff, too.

Sorry, but I don't agree with this at all. He's become woeful at keeping the ball as well, he can't go on the sort of runs he did when he first arrived, at best he might win a free kick, because we sure as hell don't want him to attempt to pass the ball. He's one of the clumsiest tacklers I've seen as well, which means he's always close to giving away a free kick. Hope to fuck we don't have to see him on the pitch on Sunday, he's easily one of the worst players in our squad.

Just because he's not a good attacking player doesn't mean he's got no value at all now. Sometimes you need to bring on a player to close down the space and track back. Jonas is very good for that and he'll usually put in a good shift as well. Pretty stupid to write him off as a squad member when the alternatives like Obertan and Sammy are purely attacking players. 

Sorry, but I don't agree with this at all. He's become woeful at keeping the ball as well, he can't go on the sort of runs he did when he first arrived, at best he might win a free kick, because we sure as hell don't want him to attempt to pass the ball. He's one of the clumsiest tacklers I've seen as well, which means he's always close to giving away a free kick. Hope to f*** we don't have to see him on the pitch on Sunday, he's easily one of the worst players in our squad.

Just because he's not a good attacking player doesn't mean he's got no value at all now. Sometimes you need to bring on a player to close down the space and track back. Jonas is very good for that and he'll usually put in a good shift as well. Pretty stupid to write him off as a squad member when the alternatives like Obertan and Sammy are purely attacking players. 

Who are either complete rubbish or not ready for this level yet.

Saw enough of his defensive capabilities last year against the mackems. He's a complete liability these days, even if he does somehow win the ball, he is so bad with it that he's likely to just give it away again. If we're talking like for like, I'd much rather get Sammy on the pitch than Jonas, and I don't particularly rate Sammy.

If we're playing a 4-3-3 with Cabaye, Tiote, Sissoko in midfield and Remy, Cissé, Ben Arfa, I'd much rather bring on Gouffran for closing down and keeping the ball, or if he's already on the pitch or get Anita or Bigi on.

Guest firetotheworks

Does Jonas still have the whole stamina/energy thing going for him anymore? It didn't seem apparent last season, but then it's hard to tell because of how bad last season was.

Last season Gutierrez seemed to lose his ability to drive forward with the ball, keep possession and draw fouls.  But he did a decent job of it when he came on against Cardiff, so maybe the rest he's had has freshened him up.

Saw enough of his defensive capabilities last year against the mackems. He's a complete liability these days, even if he does somehow win the ball, he is so bad with it that he's likely to just give it away again. If we're talking like for like, I'd much rather get Sammy on the pitch than Jonas, and I don't particularly rate Sammy.

If we're playing a 4-3-3 with Cabaye, Tiote, Sissoko in midfield and Remy, Cissé, Ben Arfa, I'd much rather bring on Gouffran for closing down and keeping the ball, or if he's already on the pitch or get Anita or Bigi on.

Jonas is usually used to provide extra cover down the left side when we need a defensive formation. I don't really see how Sammy or Anita would be better for that specific role.

Anita would be far better as we'd keep possession when he gets it. A midfield trio of Anita, Tiote, Cabaye with Sissoko ahead of them is enough defensive cover and would be far better than just hoying Jonas on hoping that he can run around a bit and not lose the ball every time he gets it. I'd even rather we bring on Dummet/Haidara and move Santon forward rather than bring Jonas on.

It was suggested 7 hours ago, mate. Look up.

Ah ok. Personally I see him mostly as a defensive sub at best. I can see Pardew using him like Unbelievable suggested though, if he thinks we're on a hiding to nothing. That tactic usually backfires though.

That's directed at me than I suppose. I said i would consider starting him against the likes if Manchester United and Chelsea for the energy and defensive capabilities he brings. He has proven before he can be useful in such conditions.

He used to be, we've got far better defensive options than him now though.

EDIT: If you're talking about a back to the wall defensive plan (which surely is the only reason why anyone would start Jonas), something like this would be much better

Anita Tiote Cabaye

Sissoko                      Gouffran

Cissé/Ben Arfa

That's directed at me than I suppose. I said i would consider starting him against the likes if Manchester United and Chelsea for the energy and defensive capabilities he brings. He has proven before he can be useful in such conditions.

He used to be, we've got far better defensive options than him now though.

I wouldn't class Anita or Bigi, who I presume you're on about, better defensive options. I'm not saying I would start him per se, but I can see Pardew doing it and I wouldn't berate him for it. I certainly wouldn't go into those matches with a front three who barely track back.