Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Someone mentioned a clause in Jonas's contract? Three year extension if he reached 200 games, or something.

This.  Taylor and Besty mentioned it in last night's podcast too.  It'd make sense.

Getting a new three year contract doesn't make much sense to me at all. Fine if it was a one year extension, but three? Nah, no way, nah. Anyway, as has been said, he isn't good enough and that's why he's been told to find a new club. Nothing controversial about that at all.

Giving Demba Ba a £7m release clause didn't make much sense, but we did it.  I'd be surprised if there weren't more daft clauses in our squad's contracts that we're yet to discover.

If someone has been working for you for years, giving mainly 100% but hasn't been performing that well for a year or so you don't just cut them off without any explanation. Firstly it's  just not the right thing to do and secondly it is utterly shite management. That seems obvious to me.

Of course, we just don't know that's what happened. Those Jonas quotes could have arisen following hundreds of different conversations with Pardew.

He's unlikely to go to Norwich and say "Pards explained that I wasn't good enough for Newcastle, they're looking to move forward. But Norwich are a bit worse so I should do OK here".

Guest Roger Kint

Someone mentioned a clause in Jonas's contract? Three year extension if he reached 200 games, or something.

This.  Taylor and Besty mentioned it in last night's podcast too.  It'd make sense.

Getting a new three year contract doesn't make much sense to me at all. Fine if it was a one year extension, but three? Nah, no way, nah. Anyway, as has been said, he isn't good enough and that's why he's been told to find a new club. Nothing controversial about that at all.

Giving Demba Ba a £7m release clause didn't make much sense, but we did it.  I'd be surprised if there weren't more daft clauses in our squad's contracts that we're yet to discover.

Given the options were probably sign me with this clause or dont sign me at all its hardly the clubs fault with Ba

Given the options were probably sign me with this clause or dont sign me at all its hardly the clubs fault with Ba

Exactly, Ba likely would not have signed at all without that clause. He was probably always looking to play himself into a big move.

If someone has been working for you for years, giving mainly 100% but hasn't been performing that well for a year or so you don't just cut them off without any explanation. Firstly it's  just not the right thing to do and secondly it is utterly shite management. That seems obvious to me.

Of course, we just don't know that's what happened. Those Jonas quotes could have arisen following hundreds of different conversations with Pardew.

He's unlikely to go to Norwich and say "Pards explained that I wasn't good enough for Newcastle, they're looking to move forward".

Why would he say anything about it? I agree though, we don't know what has gone on obviously but you would think he would just let it be rather than come out and say that. I can't see what benefit it has to Jonas saying it considering he will be back at the club in the summer and is obviously one of the more respected figures in the squad.

If someone has been working for you for years, giving mainly 100% but hasn't been performing that well for a year or so you don't just cut them off without any explanation. Firstly it's  just not the right thing to do and secondly it is utterly s**** management. That seems obvious to me.

What's Pardew meant to say though? He's told him he won't play much and to find a club. It's pretty obvious the reasons why. He's nowhere near the starting XI and hasn't even been making the bench. Is it good "man management" for Pardew to spell it out in black & white that the reason he's got to leave is because he's shit?

The rumour about his clause seems extremely plausible, like. For him to play as little as he has this season is pretty suspicious - after, laughably, making 34 Premier League starts last season. I doubt Pards all-of-a-sudden 'saw sense' with regards to his detrimental effect on the team and decided to cast him aside.

196 games? Sound, hold it there and leave 4 appearances free in case of a critical emergency where he absolutely must play. Soon as we get to January, he's out.

However, if Pardew's been as blunt with him as those quotes make out, it surprises me a bit tbh. Something makes me doubt it really played out like that.

Not disappointed to lose Jonas the player, but it's been nice having such a character associated with the club during one of it's worst-to-erratic times.

“The manager told me in December I was not going to play any more and told me to find myself another club.

“I don’t know why it happened and I still don’t understand what I did wrong.

“There were no rows with Alan Pardew or anything like that. He just said I needed to leave and that was that.

“I honestly don’t know why I wasn’t playing, you will have to ask the manager that. He just made his decision and that was it. Something must have happened – but I don’t know what.”

Classy.

Disgusting if true.

“The manager told me in December I was not going to play any more and told me to find myself another club.

“There were no rows with Alan Pardew or anything like that. He just said I needed to leave and that was that.

“I honestly don’t know why I wasn’t playing, you will have to ask the manager that. He just made his decision and that was it. Something must have happened – but I don’t know what.”

Classy.

Disgusting if true.

Wouldn't put it past him after the way he blamed our youngsters for the 3-0 loss to Bordeaux last season.

He wasn't getting selected and had fallen down the pecking order. Self explanatory.

It happened because he had fallen down the pecking order and his form had deteriorated. Did he want Pardew to spell that out for him?

Pardew seemed to like Jonas a lot. He was one of the first names on the team sheet until the beginning of this season so of course there were no rows or a falling out. The second sentence is just tying in with his first line. He wasn't going to play anymore and was told to find another club.

See paragraph 2.

He wasn't getting selected and had fallen down the pecking order. Self explanatory.

It happened because he had fallen down the pecking order and his form had deteriorated. Did he want Pardew to spell that out for him?

Pardew seemed to like Jonas a lot. He was one of the first names on the team sheet until the beginning of this season so of course there were no rows or a falling out. The second sentence is just tying in with his first line. He wasn't going to play anymore and was told to find another club.

See paragraph 2.

The player clearly feels that he hasn't had an explanation, you trying to justify is doesn't change that and it's not good enough when a player has been here for so long and done nothing but his best for the club.

It actually reminds me of the Shepherd/Robson situation. Robson had a rolling one-year contract, which was openly changed to a one-year contract in 2004, yet when Shepherd announced that summer it would be Sir Bobby's last season in charge, he acted all surprised by it.

Jonas hasn't played barely all season, hasn't even been on the bench, is way down the pecking order, and he's acting surprised that he was told by Pardew he'd not play and should find a club? Don't get his point at all.

It actually reminds me of the Shepherd/Robson situation. Robson had a rolling one-year contract, which was openly changed to a one-year contract in 2004, yet when Shepherd announced that summer it would be Sir Bobby's last season in charge, he acted all surprised by it.

Jonas hasn't played barely all season, hasn't even been on the bench, is way down the pecking order, and he's acting surprised that he was told by Pardew he'd not play and should find a club? Don't get his point at all.

I don't see any connection with the two situations and two wrongs don't make a right.

Diddums to Jonas then. Great bloke but needs to man up if he's whinging about this. :lol:

I hope you expect the same treatment as you're happy for him to receive.

If I'd been replaced in my role for 4 months by younger people better than me at my job and my own performance had deteriorated and couldn't do my job like I could do previously, I wouldn't be taken by surprise at the end if my boss then told me to look for another job, no.

I don't see any connection with the two situations and two wrongs don't make a right.

How not? The first situation his contract changed so that there was a definite end date of June '05, yet when it was announced by Shepherd he seemed shocked by it. The second situation the player hasn't played for months, is nowhere near the team, yet seems surprised he's been told he won't play and to leave.