Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

in all the excitement about Marveuax and to a lesser extent Obertan, I think a lot of people are forgetting how vital Jonas is to us at times in terms of keeping possession when under pressure. he consistently picks the ball up deep and carries it 60 yards forwards before winning a free kick/corner/throw in and that's really important sometimes. yes his end product is usually poor in terms of balls into the box, but with cabaye further forward and ben arfa playing there should be more options on the ground to slide in short passes, which Jonas does well

in all the excitement about Marveuax and to a lesser extent Obertan, I think a lot of people are forgetting how vital Jonas is to us at times in terms of keeping possession when under pressure. he consistently picks the ball up deep and carries it 60 yards forwards before winning a free kick/corner/throw in and that's really important sometimes. yes his end product is usually poor in terms of balls into the box, but with cabaye further forward and ben arfa playing there should be more options on the ground to slide in short passes, which Jonas does well

I think that's spot on. Jonas has been crucial to our football since he's been here. It's easy to dismiss his work rate and running but he is usually one of our best players with the ball at his feet. It's a dilemma as we definitely need Marveaux's quality end product in the team, but I would use him instead of Obertan rather than Jonas.

It always amazes me how the Jonas defenders continually say....."Yes, his end product is crap but....".

HE'S A WINGER!!!!!

If we simply want someone to help out in defence, lets play another defender there.

And all this carries the ball out of defence stuff. Yes he does at times and sometimes he does get a free kick, BUT, the majority of the time in just ends up in the ball being given away to the opposition so they can attack us again.

I would much rather have a little less defending and more attacking from my wingers thank you very much.

It always amazes me how the Jonas defenders continually say....."Yes, his end product is crap but....".

HE'S A WINGER!!!!!

If we simply want someone to help out in defence, lets play another defender there.

And all this carries the ball out of defence stuff. Yes he does at times and sometimes he does get a free kick, BUT, the majority of the time in just ends up in the ball being given away to the opposition so they can attack us again.

I would much rather have a little less defending and more attacking from my wingers thank you very much.

But a defender couldn't do what Jonas does in an offensive capacity so that's a daft comment. Everything goes through Jonas down the left, I don't think it's any coincidence that Enrique looks human after all now he doesn't have Jonas in front of him. Yes his end product is weak, but a winger with end product who goes missing for large parts of the game isn't necessarily an improvement.

HE'S A WINGER!!!!!

But a defender couldn't do what Jonas does in an offensive capacity so that's a daft comment. Everything goes through Jonas down the left, I don't think it's any coincidence that Enrique looks human after all now he doesn't have Jonas in front of him. Yes his end product is weak, but a winger with end product who goes missing for large parts of the game isn't necessarily an improvement.

Maybe not, but he deserves a shot at it.

Simple solution, play him on the right, or if he doesn't know how to run down the right side off the pitch, play Marveaux there. Either way, Marveaux HAS to play. You can so easily see his superior smartness compared to Jonas. He knows what to do when receiving the ball. Knows to pick out a pass, and knows how and when to cross the ball. Yes, Jonas runs a lot, he runs fucking all the time. But he just runs down the left, or through the middle with no idea what comes next. Time after time. It's so frustrating. Thing is though, with all his faults, he is obviously still a better player than Obertan. Somebody has to take the RW spot, just to keep the professor out of the starting XI.

Wait a minute...

...luxury problems? :troll:

:fwap:

HE'S A WINGER!!!!!

it all comes down to players giving you different things for different games, Jonas shouldnt be dropped by default because obertan can put a better ball in the box, that's all i'm saying. being hard to score against has been our key attribute as a team this season, Jonas contributes a lot to that side of our game.

the majority of the time in just ends up in the ball being given away to the opposition so they can attack us again.

Thats fucking bullshit for a start like.

Not sure why you would say that?

He usually loses possession when he's done his run up the field.

Even on passing ability, Obertans played a lot less time than Jonas, has made more passes and more successful passes at that. His pass success rate is 86% compared to Jonas's 71%.

Not saying that Obi is definitely the answer, but imo he deserves a run on the right instead of Jonas...if that's the likely outcome of Marveaux's inclusion.

the majority of the time in just ends up in the ball being given away to the opposition so they can attack us again.

Thats fucking bullshit for a start like.

Not sure why you would say that?

He usually loses possession when he's done his run up the field.

because he doesnt usually lose possession?

Absolutely bewildered by the fact people still think Jonas doesn't bring much to the team.

Think Jonas is the one player in the team who is the most like Bovril, love or hate. (Hate being far too strong a word of course)

I think the problem is what he doesn't bring to the team ie, crosses, assists, goals.

One of the reason why Jonas has lost the ball after doing a long run is because we have had so little movement. Last season he played with Loven, Shola and Nolan.

This season we have Marveaux, Ben Arfa, Cabaye ect who will give him a lot more options for a pass.

One of the reason why Jonas has lost the ball after doing a long run is because we have had so little movement. Last season he played with Loven, Shola and Nolan.

This season we have Marveaux, Ben Arfa, Cabaye ect who will give him a lot more options for a pass.

That's a valid point to a degree, but he just seems to lack composure after doing all the hard work. Its not as though he was setting them up left right and centre for Carrol.

Bottom line for me is Marveaux has to start on the left and let Obertan and Jonas fight it out for the right wing spot.

Guest sydneycove

The other thing with Jonas besides his pathetic finishing and crossing ability (which he makes up for with his dribbling and work rate) is how much longer will he be here. We all know he wants to give the Serie A a go before he heads back to Argentina and retirement and if he is planning to leave soon we should be looking to blood in the boys who will be here for a few seasons.

The other thing with Jonas besides his pathetic finishing and crossing ability (which he makes up for with his dribbling and work rate) is how much longer will he be here. We all know he wants to give the Serie A a go before he heads back to Argentina and retirement and if he is planning to leave soon we should be looking to blood in the boys who will be here for a few seasons.

???

No way. A player could leave at anytime, and there is no way Gutierrez is telling, now, that he plans to leave in the near future. He has to start. Preferably instead of Obertan, with who ever of Marveaux and Jonás that copes the best with playing on the right.

So if Enrique had stayed this season you would not have used him because he would leave us next summer anyway?

jonas should not be dropped. think we should play him and marveaux on the flanks (sounds like he is pushing for a start). obertan as a sub atm.

I think that's spot on. Jonas has been crucial to our football since he's been here. It's easy to dismiss his work rate and running but he is usually one of our best players with the ball at his feet. It's a dilemma as we definitely need Marveaux's quality end product in the team, but I would use him instead of Obertan rather than Jonas.

Agree with your post there.

I'm very pro-Jonas myself. He may not have great crossing ability but he's one of the best dribblers in the league and that terrifies defenders, who have to double up on him. This will free up space for people like HBA and Marv. It's a potentially lethal attack, but we should keep Jonas in there.