Realistic Transfer Targets January 2011

Guest koenji

We'll be lucky to see HBA back before April IMO.

Routledge and Barton will do for the right (Gosling can play there too can't he? When's he due back?) Whilst CF is the absolute priority, LM is not far behind.

Just don't see how it's a particular thing we should try and improve upon on January tbh. He's doing a good job there, even if we just keep him there for the season like I say. I can see where people are coming from on the no need to upgrade on the left either, as they expect HBA to replace Jonas there in a few months. I admit I'm dreaming of HBA taking the centre role of Nolan's.

As much as I don't like jonas, I see a greater need on the right than left (granted this is because i have the blind hope that hba will return the same player) Simply because I see jonas as the lesser of two evils between him and routledge.

Take the point on Barton and priorities though. Was just so frustrated with the wingers today, coupled with being impressed by Barton in a central role, that I'm desperate to see us recruit in that area.

When the media talk about HBA's return, I think they're making it sound better than it is and they're really meaning full training return. Then for him to get to match fitness, get maybe a few reserve games under his belt, sub appearances, and then to start a game. He'll have very few games left to play this season. And even then he'll take a while to capture any sort of proper form.

I refuse to get excited about HBA tbh, pessimistic it may be, but I consider this season a write off for him.

(What on earth just happened to the forum?? My heart stopped :()

Honestly can't believe how unpopular Routledge is here. He was certainly one of our best players in the Championship, he proper took the piss out of that league and he was good against Chelsea and even better today. People seem to be basing their opinion of him from a few games at the start of the season when he was playing in front of Perch.

People are saying it's madness to "play two players out of position" when I suggest we play Routledge LW and Barton RW, but considering Barton is putting in great performance after great performance on the right, why would we want to change that? And with Jonas getting worse by the game, Routledge needs to be given a chance on that side. He would have to do a fucking terrible job there to be worse than Jonas atm.

It's true, like. Routledge was probably our best player in the final 5 months of last season. Seeing what he did to teams like Coventry and Blackpool genuinely had my beaming for days. Not in a long time had I seen an NUFC winger destroy teams like that.

Exactly. The only argument against Barton on the right is 'it's not his natural position'. It's his most useful position for us, right now. That's the most important thing. To move Barton to the middle means ditching Nolan. Not gonna happen. It's gonna put Nolan back off the shoulder of Carroll, and he's much less effective. Overall, Barton in the middle would be more of a detriment to the team than Barton on the right.

Horses for courses.

Barton HAS to play. He's our best midfielder imo and must start if he's fit. I like Routledge and his pace worries teams. I'd play him against poorer teams as he could really hurt them. 

I've always been a fan of Jonas. Even up until recently. But there's only so long we can carry a player that needs a 'kick up the ass' every few games. There's a point where we just need a more reliable player. He's not good enough, even on his day, to be let off for that.

I've always been a fan of Jonas. Even up until recently. But there's only so long we can carry a player that needs a 'kick up the ass' every few games. There's a point where we just need a more reliable player. He's not good enough, even on his day, to be let off for that.

Yeah, but we have that in Ben Arfa.

Just not for the next month or two.

Guest rosstoon

HBA to sign a 5 year deal plus another strike lined up.  I think if we can do this and get Barton and Jose and Colo all on extended contracts that would suit me. Plus if being greedy a right and left winger who can create a cross or 2